• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

@Shelby has a Gourmia? iGourmia? circulator, I think, with such a clamp. Maybe she can say whether it's a nuisance.)

It's ok.....I don't want to sound like a complainer because having two circulators is so handy at times, but if I'm just using one, I don't choose the Gourmia.  My Anova has an adjustable screw clamp that is much easier to use with different pots.  The Gourmia clamp I can only use with a specific, more shallow pot.  Does this make sense?  I think I'm rambling lol.

of note for chamber vac's :   do your best to get the ' oil pump '

moisture from vac'ing bags wont damage it

Id say use displacement for you initial SV work , then move on depending on usage .

if you get the smaller Anova , look into the width limitations  of the clamp.

16 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Would these be considered good deals? I’d like to try SV out but don’t want to invest a ton. 

4BD3E96C-C465-448C-806C-5C1705C22A84.png

5943B166-DFA8-484B-9B77-6BE620AFCAE8.png

You can just bag it in a ziploc and forgo the vac sealer. I do this most of the time. Just get all the air out by the submersion method. I'd spend what you save on the slightly more expensive anova, which has a great record of reliability

You are going to have fun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

It's ok.....I don't want to sound like a complainer because having two circulators is so handy at times, but if I'm just using one, I don't choose the Gourmia.  My Anova has an adjustable screw clamp that is much easier to use with different pots.  The Gourmia clamp I can only use with a specific, more shallow pot.  Does this make sense?  I think I'm rambling lol.

Well, you're saying from experience what I thought I'd read about the circulators with a built-in clamp. The pot's rim can't be too wide or too flared, because then the circulator won't clamp properly. If the pot is too shallow the circulator won't be able to clamp to the side and still sit above the bottom of the pot. Thanks for the confirmation on both those points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

its possible that Anova has changed some of the conditions for the blue tooth :

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Included/dp/B00UKPBXM4

if you use the app , they now require an account based on the comments on AMZN

and AMZN doesnt seem to carry it themselves 

it seems that the bluetooth modle might be discontinutes forcing you to get the WiFi

odd and pretty foolish of Anova.

• Like 1

I'd agree with everyone on holding out for the Anova. It'll likely be on a big discount on Amazon around Cyber Monday, which is not (yikes!) all that far off.

I have a el cheapo Foodsaver vac sealer that works reasonably well; think I got it at WalMart, and I think I paid about $50 for it. I use freezer bags about half the time. I always clip my freezer bags to the edge of the pan or to a wooden spoon that crosses the pan, to keep the seal out of water. I don't necessarily trust it. 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Amazon just announced a new microwave/air fryer/convection oven. 

Yesterday's news.

Edit:  I'm waiting for "Alexa, turn on the steam."

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...

For any Canadians who live near a Paderno store, you have just a couple of weeks to get down there and pick up any knickknacks you might have a yen for. All of the storefronts are closing by the first week of November.

Currently the discounts are: 30% off any clearance product, 50% off regular price product other than Paderno cookware, and 70% off Paderno cookware and sets.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I finally something to contribute to this thread...

https://home.woot.com/offers/vacmaster-vp215-chamber-vacuum-sealer

Woot.com (amazon subsidiary that is a daily sale site) has the VacMaster VP215 on sale for $499 for the next 20 hours or so (until 10pm PDT 10/18/2019) or until they sell out.  

This is the oil pump model and it is a new unit (not refurb).  Price is about $400-$700 off most other places selling it. 

Shipping is flat rate of $6 for the entire order or free with Amazon Prime account - most places charge $30-$80 for shipping.  (I must be one of the last 14 holdouts that doesn't have a Prime account).

I've been casually shopping online for a chamber sealer for almost a decade now, but could never justify the cost.  I have endured endless frustration with a few different foodsavers over the years, and that is about to come to an end!  I was just thinking to myself the other day, "why do I even bother checking Woot anymore? They never have anything that I want and the discount isn't very good either".  Ha!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, fledflew said:

I finally something to contribute to this thread...

https://home.woot.com/offers/vacmaster-vp215-chamber-vacuum-sealer

Woot.com (amazon subsidiary that is a daily sale site) has the VacMaster VP215 on sale for $499 for the next 20 hours or so (until 10pm PDT 10/18/2019) or until they sell out.  

This is the oil pump model and it is a new unit (not refurb).  Price is about $400-$700 off most other places selling it. 

Shipping is flat rate of $6 for the entire order or free with Amazon Prime account - most places charge $30-$80 for shipping.  (I must be one of the last 14 holdouts that doesn't have a Prime account).

I've been casually shopping online for a chamber sealer for almost a decade now, but could never justify the cost.  I have endured endless frustration with a few different foodsavers over the years, and that is about to come to an end!  I was just thinking to myself the other day, "why do I even bother checking Woot anymore? They never have anything that I want and the discount isn't very good either".  Ha!

The Woot deal is already sold out, must of just had a few.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Coogles said:

The Woot deal is already sold out, must of just had a few.

Looks like it might be available again???  I saw the sold out message last night after I got my order in, but it's available to order again as of right now - hopefully the webpage is accurate.  Good luck!  

• Like 1

Sold out again.

• Sad 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer