• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow my Thermapen has gone missing so I had to order a new one.   I ordered the MK-4 which is on sale from it's regular price of $99.00 to $84.14. In addition, they are giving a free mini spoonula and spatula set.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Somehow my Thermapen has gone missing so I had to order a new one.   I ordered the MK-4 which is on sale from it's regular price of $99.00 to $84.14. In addition, they are giving a free mini spoonula and spatula set.

You left out the important part...what color??

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:54 PM, ElsieD said:

You'll find out tomorrow.🙂

Orange is most accurate.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Orange is most accurate.

According to the tracking info, my thermopan has been sitting in the international terminal in Winnipeg Manitoba since last Friday.😤  I thought I had paid for 2 day delivery but the Thermoworks people said delivery to Canada was 4 - 6 business days.  This is day 7.  If there is no movement by tomorrow I will write to them again.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Shopko Hometown chain is going out of business. The liquidation sales are down to the last 10 days, and I finally decided the prices had dropped enough on their 6-quart enameled cast iron Dutch ovens.

20190614_194757.jpg

I love this color!  I bought this Dutch oven for our trailer, but now it's sitting in our house waiting to be used. In the meantime, I'm so thrilled at what seems to be a well-constructed 6-quart ECI pot for 30 bucks that I'm thinking about buying more as gifts.

• Like 8

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Nice price on a Dutch oven. I have a Lodge that I love. My daughter bought me a Rachel Ray one, and the enamel blistered and peeled within six months.

• Sad 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

Misen...a cookware /knife company has apparently good stuff at good prices. Backstory(which may be true) is a chef started it because he was tired of the pricing of high quality stuff. There appears to be reasoning behind the designs.  Offering a 20% discount with the code "cook20".  I bought the chef's knife. We shall see...

https://www.misen.co/pages/collection?_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJndXl3ZWJzdGVyQHlhaG9vLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogInNUQkxmQyJ9

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Misen...a cookware /knife company has apparently good stuff at good prices. Backstory(which may be true) is a chef started it because he was tired of the pricing of high quality stuff. There appears to be reasoning behind the designs.  Offering a 20% discount with the code "cook20".  I bought the chef's knife. We shall see...

https://www.misen.co/pages/collection?_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJndXl3ZWJzdGVyQHlhaG9vLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogInNUQkxmQyJ9

I bought their chef's knife when they were still a Kickstarter project. It's a decent, sharp knife. Nothing where I'd go "Wow," but for $52 on sale, definitely.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 6/23/2019 at 4:20 PM, Alex said:

I bought their chef's knife when they were still a Kickstarter project. It's a decent, sharp knife. Nothing where I'd go "Wow," but for $52 on sale, definitely.

I have several of their knives. Good quality, comfortable to hold (for me - I know this is a personal thing), good price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Ortiz Anchovies at World Market at a fantastic price.   Free pickup if local to a store, it seems.

Thanks! And yes, it's out of stock online, but some stores, including the one near us, still have it.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Who has two thumbs and just bought all the Ortiz anchovies available at his local World Market? This guy. Great deal! I was just bemoaning the low quantities of anchovies in my pantry.

They shall sit nicely aside my bounty of Ortiz tinned tuna I picked up on some insane World Market promotion late last year. 

80B52869-0AE7-44D3-8FAB-0A0E0068E40F.thumb.jpeg.57c844c62963049f7301cfc5af98f6db.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 8