• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

For just today (11 Dec), over in Bezosville, the Blendtec Total Classic is $169.95 shipped.

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

9 hours ago, Toliver said:

Ooohhhh. Nice. But my $19.99 Ambiano from Aldi keeps chugging along and does me pretty well.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro 1800W is currently just, $199.95 via Amazon Prime.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Supermarketitaly.com is having a few promotions:  $5 credit to an existing account or to a new account created by tomorrow, free shipping over $50, plus $10 off an order over $100.

I was out of anchovies.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Supermarketitaly.com is having a few promotions:  $5 credit to an existing account or to a new account created by tomorrow, free shipping over $50, plus $10 off an order over $100.

I was out of anchovies.

Who is out of anchovies now!  

• Like 1

@JoNorvelleWalker,

What anchovies do you recommend?

Thanks!

:)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

48 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

@JoNorvelleWalker,

What anchovies do you recommend?

Thanks!

:)

I like Ortiz:

https://www.supermarketitaly.com/ortiz-anchovies-in-olive-oil-w-mini-picker-95-grams/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At Aldi yesterday, I noticed they had an Ambiano sous vide circulator for $40. It looks a lot like an Anova, but the head is rectangular with rounded corners. Looks to be a bit smaller than the Anova, but not quite as small as the Joule. 

I've been impressed with the Anova small electrics I've purchased at Aldi. My stick blender is hefty and has plenty of power, and my little $19.99 dehydrator is plugging away. I'm tempted to go back and get this circulator just to run it through its paces and see.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

• 2 weeks later...

My Aldi yesterday had a NICE butcher block cutting board, about 16 inches square, about an inch and a half thick, and it said what wood but I've thrown the label away and don't remember, for $14.99. Insets cut in two opposite sides for ease of picking up. I didn't really need it, but for that price, could not turn it down.

1723603682_cuttingboard.png.acefb58310c0e0bf8be8e873131018f3.png

I'm thinking I'll give it a light sand and rub it down with mineral oil.

They still had the sous vide circulator, marked down to $40 from $49, so I suspect those are on their way out.  Had I had my phone, I would have taken a photo.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on TechBargains.com this morning:

KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment

Includes fine and coarse grinding plates, tips, and recipes

$26.35 which is 59% off the regular price.

Don't know how long the sale will last.

This is for the grinding plates and doesn't seem to include the sausage stuffing attachments. 

Tim Oliver

10 hours ago, Toliver said:

Saw this on TechBargains.com this morning:

KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment

$26.35 which is 59% off the regular price.

Don't know how long the sale will last.

This is for the grinding plates and doesn't seem to include the sausage stuffing attachments. 

You think they're clearing out the plastic ones to make way for the metal ones (KSMMGA)?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vapre said:

You think they're clearing out the plastic ones to make way for the metal ones (KSMMGA)?

I doubt they would venture into metal attachments since the plastic are probably cheaper to produce and maximize their profits.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

I doubt they would venture into metal attachments since the plastic are probably cheaper to produce and maximize their profits.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Wow.  I didn't know KitchenAid made a metal version.  I must say the metal one looks nice with all the attachments.  But I have the plastic version and the plastic works well enough for my meat grinding purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran across this ribbon grater at Walmart.  The blade pattern is very similar to a Microplane grater that I've been looking for.  The cover was a bit of a pain to get to fit on it, but I thought it might be worth a try.  I don't know if there's something seriously wrong with it or if Walmart is just trying to get rid of it or what, but it rang up as 40 cents!  I haven't used it yet.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Blue-Grater/391187241

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)

Just FYI, I've had the Kitchenaid plastic housing meat grinder and the plastic housing vegetable grater/slicer attachments and BOTH of the housings have split/cracked where it meets the drive piece of the mixer.  Kitchenaid would not do any warranty on them due to lack of receipts.  Both were gifts.  I wouldn't recommend the plastic Kitchenaid accessories unless the design has changed significantly.  The pasta rollers are metal and I've had no problems with those.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 1:08 PM, lemniscate said:

Just FYI, I've had the Kitchenaid plastic housing meat grinder and the plastic housing vegetable grater/slicer attachments and BOTH of the housings have split/cracked where it meets the drive piece of the mixer.  Kitchenaid would not do any warranty on them due to lack of receipts.  Both were gifts.  I wouldn't recommend the plastic Kitchenaid accessories unless the design has changed significantly.  The pasta rollers are metal and I've had no problems with those.

My meat grinder attachment has also cracked.  I bought a stand alone grinder which works MUCH better.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...