• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

As per usual, Amazon has a $5 book discount.  $5 off any book priced at $20 or more using the code: NovBook18 at Amazon.com 

Not sure if it works on Amazon.ca but I wasn't able to find it the same way on the .ca site.

Edited to add terms: 

1. Enter promo code NOVBOOK18 at checkout to qualify.

2. Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) November 25, 2018. 

3. Offer only applies to products shipped and sold by Amazon.com (look for "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if "fulfilled by Amazon.com" or "Prime Eligible". 

4. Offer does not apply to digital content.

5. Offer good while supplies last.

6. Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted and free promotional items. 

7. Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address.

8. Offer limited to one per customer and account. 

9. Taxes, shipping and handling, and gift wrap charges do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount. 

10. The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $5. 

11. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time. 

12. Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold. 

13. Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order. 

14. If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.

15. If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid. 

16. Unless an Amazon Gift Card is the stated benefit of the promotion, promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

Oddly enough ChefShop does not have any BF deals...

Was hoping to find some nice vinegars/balsamics on BF!

No luck thus far.

I believe in the past they usually have their sales on Cyber Monday, not Black Friday.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

On 11/22/2018 at 5:26 AM, chromedome said:

Not exactly a sale or deal, more the "supermarket surprises" dept:

Fellow Canucks, did you know about this?

https://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/products/productlisting/pc-black-label-goose-fat.html

Wow, thanks for the info chromedome

Edited by demiglace (log)

The annual Thanksgiving Paprika Recipe Manager sale is on now through the end of the month.  All platforms are discounted by 40-50%.  Version 3 was recently released for all platforms except Windows.  I repurchased the Android app to get the new version and I feel the new features are well worth the $3.  I've already used the pinned recipe and timers features.  The timers show up as hyperlinks whenever (mostly) the directions include a time.  Two quick clicks and the timer starts. Although version 3 for Windows has not been released, anyone who buys the old version now ($10) will get the new version for free when it is released.  I have not yet pulled the trigger on that as I don't use the Windows version as often, but I'll probably get it before the sale is over.

I have no affiliation with the app other than as a frequent user.  I use it almost every time I make something that isn't an old standard.  That is partially because I don't trust my memory, but mostly because I like to keep notes on the different variations and results so I can tweak recipes over time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rustwood said:

The annual Thanksgiving Paprika Recipe Manager sale is on now through the end of the month.  All platforms are discounted by 40-50%.  Version 3 was recently released for all platforms except Windows.  I repurchased the Android app to get the new version and I feel the new features are well worth the $3.  I've already used the pinned recipe and timers features.  The timers show up as hyperlinks whenever (mostly) the directions include a time.  Two quick clicks and the timer starts. Although version 3 for Windows has not been released, anyone who buys the old version now ($10) will get the new version for free when it is released.  I have not yet pulled the trigger on that as I don't use the Windows version as often, but I'll probably get it before the sale is over.

I have no affiliation with the app other than as a frequent user.  I use it almost every time I make something that isn't an old standard.  That is partially because I don't trust my memory, but mostly because I like to keep notes on the different variations and results so I can tweak recipes over time.

From reading the link it wasn't clear exactly what the app is supposed to do.  Other than providing timers.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Nuts.com offered $25 off a $150 order.  Caving was all too easy.  In fact my order was over by 2 cents.  Canadians would not understand this.

I also caved on the Falk Mousseline I mentioned.  Today the price is up from yesterday but it is still on sale.  (And that ugly stainless handled Mousseline is still priced for throwaway.)  Resisting the amazon book sale because by this time I am pretty much penniless.  Though it is not quite midnight.  The library is buying me the Nordic Baking Book, but they are not buying it very fast.  I may yet give in.

• Haha 1

Nice! I would have picked up some anchovies too if I had bothered to search for other Ortiz items before placing my order... d'oh! Oh well... I still feel like I won the tinned fish internet today.

Never tried Meica sausages, as jarred sausage scares me. But you've piqued my interest, so I may just pick up a jar the next time I'm at World Market.

@btbyrd We like the mini wini's for quick appetizer dinner or camping, right out of the jar with Maille mustard.  World Market has the french made Maille Ancienne mustard I love.  Which I forgot to order on this coupon, oh well.   Since there was a nice coupon, I am trying the other Meica jarred sausage for the first time.   Hope we like them.

Not an earthshaking bargain but I just picked up a Matfer Bourgeat spatula I'd long had my eye on, for apparently the lowest price it's ever been on amazon:

http://amzn.com/B0043WDTQI

On 11/25/2018 at 6:15 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Nuts.com offered $25 off a $150 order.  Caving was all too easy.  In fact my order was over by 2 cents.  Canadians would not understand this.

Hahahhahahaha!   Well, we Canadians do understand it when we pay with credit card instead of cash!    🙂

11 hours ago, btbyrd said:

World Market's Cyber Monday promo will get you up to 40% off today, but you have to spend $300 (before the promo) to get the largest discount.

In related news, I just purchased 55 cans of Ortiz tuna.

Canadians also don't understand the high tariffs that the US slaps on European tuna.

Costco Canada has lovely Italian tuna (Rio Mare) for $11 Cdn for 4 tins of 160 g. And it's $5.50 US for 114 g tin of the Spanish here in the US right now.

Is the Spanish Ortiz really that much better? I'll have to check when I'm back in Canada and see what varieties are available in the local stores. 

I have tried to find Rio Mare while in the US, ordered it once through Amazon but wow it is so expensive here! At any rate, there are US tariffs on tuna that make the imported price very high. 

Edited by FauxPas
to try and make my comments clearer! (log)
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 1:03 PM, FauxPas said:

Instant Pot Duo Mini (3 qt) is on sale at Amazon for $44.96. 

That was a very good deal!

I paid $51.99, when on sale last year at this time!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!