• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

28 minutes ago, Smithy said:

This is tempting. I love the size of my Joule but it's maddening to have to control it by phone. The Nano is about the same size, but has manual controls as well as a phone interface. I wonder how much difference the smaller wattage makes? Nano is 700W, Joule is 1100. I haven't tried my Joule vs. Anova Bluetooth (900W) to see how much practical difference the 200W makes for my purposes.

Any issue with lower power will be in the time to warm up to temp; which you can remedy by using hot tap water to start with

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Any issue with lower power will be in the time to warm up to temp; which you can remedy by using hot tap water to start with

Well, up to a point, yes.  However, as the volume of bathwater and thermal mass of the food contents go up, a lower powered unit would have to work longer and harder to keep up.  This is especially so when using uninsulated containers.

I was in a retail store recently that was selling an immersion "stick" circulator that was unknown to me.  What struck me was that its instructions warned not to use the unit in a container holding more than  X of water, and X wasn't a lot.

• Like 1

Yes, I've thought about the water volume. So far my uses for the circulators have been for relatively small quantities; a 12-quart pot is my standard vessel. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, boilsover said:

Well, up to a point, yes.  However, as the volume of bathwater and thermal mass of the food contents go up, a lower powered unit would have to work longer and harder to keep up.  This is especially so when using uninsulated containers.

You have a funny way of saying  "good point".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Smithy said:

I love the size of my Joule

I saw a Nano yesterday at Target.

It's not as small as a Joule but it's pretty darn small!

Much smaller than than the older ANOVAs.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Side and top insulation certainly makes a lot of sense for long cooks.

With good insulation, I'd assume that once target temp is reached—the steady state of power required to maintain temperature should be roughly the same for various circulators.

Unless it's some wildly unique container.

It's time for a new experiment.

Thanks @PedroG for all the work you did!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

19 hours ago, boilsover said:

Let's try it a different way, then.  I would not buy a 700 or 900W unit if you were hoping to SV in a 30Q cooler.

I have used the 800W Anova to do 20 pounds of pork shoulder in a cooler about that size.  Worked fine.  Did not monitor power usage, so I don't know if it ran the whole time or not, but it had no problems maintaining the temperature.  I don't remember how long it took to pull the water temperature back when I put the meat in, but it wasn't outrageously wrong.

Amazon's USA deal of the day (sunday 18 November ) is on USA pan bakeware. 

https://www.amazon.com/apb/page/?handlerName=OctopusDealLandingStream&deals=97e7d9dd

I have a couple of their pullman pans.  they're very nice, and two are $35, which is a pretty good deal.  Don't know about any of the other stuff.

Edited by dscheidt (log)
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

https://www.amazon.com/apb/page/?handlerName=OctopusDealLandingStream&deals=97e7d9dd

I have a couple of their pullman pans.  they're very nice, and two are $35, which is a pretty good deal.  Don't know about any of the other stuff.

No USA pan set on sale at Amazon.ca.  Too bad because I really like their pans.

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

No USA pan set on sale at Amazon.ca.  Too bad because I really like their pans.

Unfortunately I don't live in Canada and I didn't have a popover pan.  Camelcamelcamel showed this was the lowest price ever.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, dscheidt said:

A friendly heads-up.

The aluminized coating promptly flaked off—in spots and in short order—on the last USA Pan Bakeware pan I bought.

That was a "USA Pan Patriot Bakeware Aluminized Steel Quarter Sheet Pan."

'Unique' feature of the Patriot line compared to their other pans (all else being equal): "Fluted surface design that resembles a waving flag- adding extra strength and durability to help resist warping"

"Oven safe up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit."

The pan was never used at more that 350 degrees.

Purchased January 3rd, 2018.

I won't be buying their products again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seen today at a Frye's grocery store in Tucson, AZ:

20181118_172423.jpg

(No, I didn't bite. Not today, at any rate.) I see from the web site that it's 800W. I also see that Target has it for $79.99.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

I also see that Target has it for $79.99

Yeah, I saw one on display at Target yesterday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

A friendly heads-up.

The aluminized coating promptly flaked off—in spots and in short order—on the last USA Pan Bakeware pan I bought.

That was a "USA Pan Patriot Bakeware Aluminized Steel Quarter Sheet Pan."

'Unique' feature of the Patriot line compared to their other pans (all else being equal): "Fluted surface design that resembles a waving flag- adding extra strength and durability to help resist warping"

"Oven safe up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit."

The pan was never used at more that 350 degrees.

Purchased January 3rd, 2018.

I won't be buying their products again.

Now you tell us.

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now you tell us.

Sorry! :S

• Like 1

All-American Pressure Canners & Cookers

$199.99 + shipping (and maybe tax) for the 10.5-quart All-American No.910 Pressure Canner/Cooker. At checkout, you’ll have your choice from five other sizes: 15.5-quart (+ $10), 21.5-quart (+ $20), 25-quart (+ $20), 30-quart (+ $30), or 41.5-quart (+ $50).  Plus shipping.  Free membership required.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/all-american-pressure-canners-cookers?mode=guest_open

I have purchased quite a few other products through this website, the shipping tends to be slow but this looks to be a really good price...

• Like 1

Not exactly a sale or deal, more the "supermarket surprises" dept:

Fellow Canucks, did you know about this?

https://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/products/productlisting/pc-black-label-goose-fat.html

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Today I received my BBB flyer.  It has the Instant Pot 9-in1 Dup Plus 6 at. On sale for $119.99 (Cdn) + $30.00 gift card.  The small print says "Manufacturer does not allow coupons on Instant Pot." I wonder of the $30.00 gift card is to make up for this?

• Like 1

And I note the Falk 16cm Signature Line Mousseline (the one with the tacky if overly practical stainless steel handle) is less than half price.  A good deal in my book.  But I've ne'er assayed a sauce Mousseline in my existence and I can't get past the ugly, ugly handle.

In contrast I am weeping for the Classic wrought iron handled 16cm Mousseline at 30% off and may yet cave.