• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

seems Blackfirday specials area out and about

including the ubiquitous Special :  the iPot 

https://www.cnet.com/news/black-friday-2018-kitchen-and-appliance-deals-lg-and-samsung-large-appliances-instant-pot-dyson-vacs-all-discounts/

the Duo , Im guessing Vwhich most of us have will be $70 at Target

and the Nova, at Costco:

https://www.costco.com/Instant-Pot-Nova-Plus-6-Qt-9-in-1-Multi-Use-Pressure-Cooker.product.100400394.html

said to be $ 35 off.

Im sure our many Friends in KS might like to have # 7 and # 8 just in case,

how do I know ? 

I have # 2 and # 3  , dans le boxe  , just in case 

no matter.  MC likes to perch on them

and I got a very amazing deal on each.

• Like 1

Penzys 

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgxvzLXHZPHvNNJwFZdLnSqcPmlCN

has for a dollar

To get your totally free $3.95 Bavarian Seasoning in one of our stores, just show this email or the coupon below. Online simply enter 10432C in the apply code box at checkout. No need to add the Bavarian to your cart the code does that for you and for free.

I use this for things Green

esp green beans !

you rehydrate what you need w a little water

then ,  add to a bit of mayo or what ever

and mix in to green veg.

esp breen beans !

after they are of course perfectly cooked !

• Like 2

I do the above a lot w various Penzey's blends

I prefer to add MyOwnSalt

but that's sometimes hard to expect in our SaltCulture

less Exogenous Salt , will eventually lead to your palate not so much

burning out w commercial salt

but you will ' taste better ' w less commercial salt.

anyway ,

various Penzey's mixes work very well with Veg

if they are dried , add a tiny bit of water to your chosen dose first

to rehydrate

then 

into the Veg.

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

you have to be a bit careful w the coupons @ BB&B  

there are items that are excluded , as they have ' fair trade prices '

Ive taken some of those items to the counter and politely presented my coupon , and never had a 

problem.

you might have a problem if you ask first.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MSRadell said:

It's actually the same price at Bed Bath and Beyond and then you get to use a 20% off coupon on top of that!

Sometimes the BB&B coupons explicitly exclude Breville brand stuff.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

If anything, the list of exclusions on mine is even longer. I never use "the coupon" for exactly this reason, though my parents were somehow able to convince a young cashier to apply it to a Vitamix.

I am no fan of BB&B. Their coupon, which is their only consistent promotion, is essentially worthless. And their stores are so packed to the ceiling with merchandise, oblivious customers, and giant baby strollers that I nearly have a panic attack every time I go in one. I don't know how the fire marshal signs off on stacking bunches of crap in your store's aisles, but I don't approve.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

If anything, the list of exclusions on mine is even longer. I never use "the coupon" for exactly this reason, though my parents were somehow able to convince a young cashier to apply it to a Vitamix.

Ah, you've given up the secret! 

The BB&B cashwrap clerks HATE the fact that they have to tell customer after customer that their coupon doesn't apply to X.  Some hate it so much they will give you a discount anyway in simple acts of retribution against their corporate overlords.  To maximize the chances of success, I have learned to respond to the bad news with something like:  "Oh, that's OK.  I bet you get so tired of having to tell people that.  I made a special trip here to use this coupon.  Isn't there something you or your manager can do to help me out?'"

This has worked twice for me with replacing Breville "Smart" Ovens that CATO-d.  I think one time the clerk upgraded me to the Pro without any upcharge.  

• Like 1

Many of their stores don't worry about what the coupons say, they will discount just about anything. We bought 1 of the AIR ovens and they had no problem at all accepting the 20% off coupon on top of the sale price. Of course I also never worry about the expiration date on them.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

5 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I am no fan of BB&B. Their coupon, which is their only consistent promotion, is essentially worthless. And their stores are so packed to the ceiling with merchandise, oblivious customers, and giant baby strollers that I nearly have a panic attack every time I go in one. I don't know how the fire marshal signs off on stacking bunches of crap in your store's aisles, but I don't approve.

Our local BB&B closed very recently.

This is a fairly secluded area and they did stock some stuff that wasn't available anywhere else locally.

Loss of that feature is a bummer, BUT, I hadn't been in the store in many months. I even decided to avoid the 'store closing' sale.

There was a time when the coupon was valuable, and I saved a lot of money on some good products.

It's very sad that their business model changed so drastically. 

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I think the most recent BB&B deal I took advantage of was "$15 off a $50 Purchase."

I bought an AeroPress and and a few small things that I needed.

Just enough to keep the discount close to 30%

They were all name brand items.

Even with the 8% sales tax, it was by far the best deal I could find on any of them!!!

That was about 3 years ago! LOL 

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

never had a problem or a pause w the coupon.

once very early on I asked , and I got some eye rolling 

and learned its about ' fair trade laws '  which companies use 

to try to prevent discounting of their products.

after that , I just use them .

besides the print it too fine for anyone to really read.

this is in tbhe MA stores.

your store policy may vary.

I use coupons for this reason :

why should i pay some massively over paid CEO 20 % more ? 

and you better believe it goes into their pockets and no one else's.

its just foolish to pay more.

as long as its no extra work on my part , for sure !

that's the key determinant 

suprise.gif.3dc6f37347c9342ea35b052964975d82.gif

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Anova is having a Black Friday sale on the  Nano and the Bluetooth.

This is tempting. I love the size of my Joule but it's maddening to have to control it by phone. The Nano is about the same size, but has manual controls as well as a phone interface. I wonder how much difference the smaller wattage makes? Nano is 700W, Joule is 1100. I haven't tried my Joule vs. Anova Bluetooth (900W) to see how much practical difference the 200W makes for my purposes.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown