• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

A friend picked up a 2-liter Mortier Pilon fermenting crock at WalMart for $9 the other day. I check Amazon and they're $40. I told her to get me one if there are any more there. Might keep an eye out at your local big-box store. I checked the WalMart website and there are no sales on them, but the crocks aren't listed, just the storage jars. They may be discontinuing.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The Amazon Fire Tablet (10") is on sale at Amazon today...not sure how long the sale will last.

Fire HD 10 Tablet with Alexa Hands-Free, 10.1" 1080p Full HD Display, 32 GB, Black - with Special Offers

If you bump it up to the 64GB storage tablet with no special offers (meaning "no ads"), it only adds about $50US to the sale price.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have not, though I understand they are the gold standard for dehydrators. I have an off-brand (Ambiano) that I bought at Aldi for $19.99 that works fine; how much better the Excaliburs are, I couldn't testify. But there ain't much more humid than the Mississippi River Delta in the summer (we hover in the upper 90s), and the cheapie worked well.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

this might not be the right place to ask :

the units have a

"  5 plastic trays with BPA free mesh screens "

then

"  fruit puree for fruit roll-ups "

on the web site you can see them make the fruit roll up

do you do this on ' mesh ' ?

rather than a solid backing ?

thanks

P.S.:

you can put parchment paper on top of the mesh for the fruit roll ups.

Yikes.

Edited by rotuts (log)

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

this might not be the right place to ask :

the units have a

"  5 plastic trays with BPA free mesh screens "

then

"  fruit puree for fruit roll-ups "

on the web site you can see them make the fruit roll up

do you do this on ' mesh ' ?

rather than a solid backing ?

thanks

P.S.:

you can put parchment paper on top of the mesh for the fruit roll ups.

Yikes.

I don't think you do it on the mesh. I have some fabric (kind of a thin silicone fabric) that is supposed to be for fruit leathers.

Ooohh. I hadn't thought about drying pineapple. And I love dried pineapple. On my list for the next time Aldi puts them on sale for 99 cents apiece.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

And don't throw away the pineapple rind. You can use the rind to make Daisy Martinez's Spicy Pineapple Vinegar (click)

Tim Oliver

Target has a dale on various household items

including the Anova Bluetooth

for 109 $

with their free RedCard  its gong to be 105 $

Im in the market for a spare AniovablueT

as im made a buck of noises but it still working fine

I got that one at Target for $ 99  with the 5 % off ;  95 $

• Like 1

Kroger has 2-liter bottles of Colavita olive oil on for $15.99, with a $2.50 off coupon hanging around the neck of the bottle that's redeemable at checkout. Pretty good price. I presume it'll go until Wednesday.

Don't ask. Eat it.

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Kroger has 2-liter bottles of Colavita olive oil on for $15.99, with a $2.50 off coupon hanging around the neck of the bottle that's redeemable at checkout. Pretty good price. I presume it'll go until Wednesday.

The brands that failed to meet the extra virgin olive oil standards, according to this study: Bertolli, Carapelli, Colavita, Star, Pompeian.

They are STILL taking mundane olive oil and BLENDING IN just enough EVOO to qualify for the designation.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

4 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

The brands that failed to meet the extra virgin olive oil standards, according to this study: Bertolli, Carapelli, Colavita, Star, Pompeian.

They are STILL taking mundane olive oil and BLENDING IN just enough EVOO to qualify for the designation.

Which study?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Which study?

See this topic: Adulterated Olive Oil Fraud

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm not sure what to think of the olive oil controversy.  The NAOOA more or less implied that the results of the study that kicked off the dispute were manipulated to promote California olive oil.   FWIW, here are their certified olive oils. They're no disinterested player either though.

http://www.aboutoliveoil.org/qualityseal.html

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1

I was looking over my weekly Walmart ad and they had a 6 qt. Instant Pot on sale for $79. I quickly went to their web site but did not find a $79 6 qt. Instant Pot. They had a few other Instant Pot models but none of the 6 qt. models were on sale for that price.

Color me puzzled.:S Your mileage may vary.

Tim Oliver

7 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I was looking over my weekly Walmart ad and they had a 6 qt. Instant Pot on sale for $79. I quickly went to their web site but did not find a $79 6 qt. Instant Pot. They had a few other Instant Pot models but none of the 6 qt. models were on sale for that price.

Color me puzzled.:S Your mileage may vary.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Instant-Pot-LUX60-V3-6-Qt-6-in-1-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure-Cooker-Slow-Cooker-Rice-Cooker-Saut-Steamer-and-Warmer/54316362?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227049678207&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=147341789757&wl4=pla-262470081824&wl5=9027837&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=54316362&wl13=&veh=sem

• Like 1

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver

I am likely now one of the few Southerners to own a set of Paderno cookware, thanks to the kind efforts of @Kerry Beal, with assistance from @Anna N, who went to Canadian Tire to check out the cookware sale. Kerry was kind enough to buy the set and ship to me.

cookware.JPG.655dcb0af1577028a14715a367104aaf.JPG

My old, mismatched stuff has gone home with the youngest child; it doesn't look nearly as nice, but it's an order of magnitude better than what she was using.

The Paderno performed admirably tonight on the orange chicken and rice. I thought the recipe sucked -- it was unGodly sweet -- but the cookware did great.

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.