• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

If anyone is interested, I will be listing my Thermomix on ebay soon.  

I will give a significant discount to eGullet members.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm intrigued by the Thermomix, but not sure I need one. But it's great that you give a heads up and a discount for eGullet, that's very generous! How would anyone here who is interested follow up? And are there model numbers, is it fairly new? 

• Like 2

On 12/14/2017 at 5:51 PM, FauxPas said:

I'm intrigued by the Thermomix, but not sure I need one. But it's great that you give a heads up and a discount for eGullet, that's very generous! How would anyone here who is interested follow up? And are there model numbers, is it fairly new? 

It is the TM31, the last one before the newest one and this one is  the U.S. (Canadian) version,  works on  110 voltage.

I got it in November 2009 but I have not used it all that much.  Mainly for making butter  and occasional risotto.  Made peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter a few times.

Applesauce,  peach butter, plum butter.

Contact me via private messages.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

8 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

It is the TM31, the last one before the newest one and this one is  the U.S. (Canadian) version,  works on  110 voltage.

I got it in November 2009 but I have not used it all that much.  Mainly for making butter  and occasional risotto.  Made peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter a few times.

Applesauce,  peach butter, plum butter.

I'm keeping an eye out for one required locally - but I suspect the trip back across the border might make it prohibitive for him.

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm keeping an eye out for one required locally - but I suspect the trip back across the border might make it prohibitive for him.

I know a couple of chefs in the "greater L.A. area" who have one and could use another but they only offered me $100. to "take it off my hands."  

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I know a couple of chefs in the "greater L.A. area" who have one and could use another but they only offered me $100. to "take it off my hands."  

How kind! (she says in sarcastica font)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The Spice House is offering free shipping on orders over $25 today only, 12/27/2017, with code fruitcake17.  So I spent several times that much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Spice House is offering free shipping on orders over $25 today only, 12/27/2017, with code fruitcake17.  So I spent several times that much.

Thanks for the reminder. I had a bunch of stuff in my cart but almost forgot to go back and pull the trigger - got in under the wire!

7 hours ago, btbyrd said:

20% off at MTC Kitchen through NYE with code MTCYESALE. I picked up a konro grill and some ishiri (fish sauce made from squid guts). 

EDIT: some exclusions apply, including food items. So I saved on the grill, but not on the fish sauce.

Thanks!  I used the opportunity to buy a 1000 ml Baron shaker.  One of my smaller Baron shakers came from MTC as well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In my email today - King Arthur Flour offering FREE SHIPPING on all COCOA orders.  Click on this link:   KAF Cocoa

5a666f53c5769_ScreenShot2018-01-22at3_09_06PM.thumb.png.d6f41d324e0c32a5a73ac7e1c533ae19.png

• Like 1

TechBargains.com posted a morning special:

Discount Mags is offering "Cook's Illustrated 1yr, 6 Issue Subscription $6.99". It's set to expire soon.

There is a coupon code for checkout on Discount Mags: 37122

I tested this and if you go to Discount Mag's checkout and apply the code, the price is reduced to $6.99US.

A pop-up asked me if I wanted to add another year of subscription for $6.00US.

You can checkout as a guest so you shouldn't have to establish an account with the site.

Please read any fine print. I am not sure what all the offer entails (auto renewal, etc).

edited to add the web link

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

TechBargains.com posted a morning special:

Discount Mags is offering "Cook's Illustrated 1yr, 6 Issue Subscription $6.99". It's set to expire soon.

There is a coupon code for checkout on Discount Mags: 37122

I tested this and if you go to Discount Mag's checkout and apply the code, the price is reduced to $6.99US.

A pop-up asked me if I wanted to add another year of subscription for $6.00US.

You can checkout as a guest so you shouldn't have to establish an account with the site.

Please read any fine print. I am not sure what all the offer entails (auto renewal, etc).

edited to add the web link

Offer only good in the U.S.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Offer only good in the U.S.

Wow, thanks.  Snuck under the wire--2 years for $12.99!

FYI, at payment, you have the OPTION to auto-renew, but it's at the locked-in rate of $12.99/year.  I chose not to auto-renew, and it was easy.  But remember the discount code!

This evening amazon had the Cuisinart Steam Oven latest model for $220 with the seller amazon but amazon was out of stock and the amazon listing was not coming up all the time.  Price from other sellers was higher.

It was weird.  My coworker and I were both looking at the CSO listings and sometimes saw $220 and sometimes $299.  Now that I am home I am trying to make $220 offering appear without success.

For anyone interested in the CSO I advise checking.

Today only, Thermoworks has a "Blue Moon Smoke Sale": $10 off for its yellow, blue and green smoker thermometer setups, from $99 to $89. https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

For today (Feb 6) only, unless it's continued as a sale item, Woot! has the commercial Grant Sous Vide SVE26 for $379.20. It appears to be the previous version of this model., which lists for £839.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Just a reminder to check the discount aisles in Home Goods, especially after the fall/winter holidays when they get in more high-end items. Today, I got a Staub cast iron 2.9L/3qt tomato cocotte, new, in perfect condition, for $69.99! Weird thing is, I never saw this item on the shelf until today. I had seen a pumpkin one in October, at $129.99, but never a tomato. Maybe someone returned it. Oh well, timing, I guess.

• Like 3