• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

22 minutes ago, Toliver said:

My apologies. I didn't realize it made a difference in "regular" items. I know it makes a difference with Kindle cookbooks.

My standard caveat: Yes, I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

For what it's worth I am a US Prime member and I get $54.76.  Plus the pan I see at your link is aluminum, not steel.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Toliver  No need to apologize.  I am a Canadian Prime member.  I always like your current sales postings, especially the kindle books.  Thanks to you, I am slowly increasing my collection.  Now, if I only knew how to use the Kindle app so I didn't have to scroll through the cookbooks one page at a time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For what it's worth I am a US Prime member and I get $54.76.  Plus the pan I see at your link is aluminum, not steel.

Isn't that interesting? I get the higher price now, too. When it had the cheaper price, it said it was a savings of 61%...quite a difference than what it is now.

If you scroll far down the page, there's a comparison chart between this pan and other similar pans and under "Material Type" for this pan it states "steel", which is obviously incorrect since up higher on the page in the immediate item description it's called "Hard-anodized aluminum construction". Only the handles are made of steel. An Amazon error, obviously.

edited to add it was an Amazon Daily Deal. I guess there are time limits to their deals.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But then who would want a Breville oven anyhow?

I love mine. I use it as much as the steam oven. I just bought one for my daughter, who is intimidated by the CSO (don't ask me why).

• Like 2

We bought ours in January and I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've fired up the big oven.  Also got one for our daughter and she loves it just as much as we do.  Got her an I.P earlier so she is set until the next big thing appears.  Both she and our SIL work long, crazy hours so the I.P. gets a real workout in that kitchen.

• Like 2

https://www.falkusa.com/copper-cookware/

For US shoppers:  20% off on Falk for a few days.  I don't know if they ever go lower(?).  

I am thinking of putting a sauté pan on my Christmas list.  

ETA: "Free shipping on orders over $50"   Not sure what they sell that could possibly be <$50....

Edited by Fernwood
shipping info (log)

Techbargains.com had this special on a Bon Appetit subscription for $3.90US per year for up to three years. Here's the info:

Discount Mags is offering a Bon Appetit Magazine 1yr Subscription (up to 3yrs) for a low $3.90/yr Free Shipping after Coupon Codes: "TECHBARGAINS" (Exp Soon, $48 list). This sells for at least $10 elsewhere, so you save about 60% and get one of the lowest prices we've seen. Additionally, pay no tax and your subscription will not auto-renew at a higher price later on.

Click here for the link to Discount Magazines web site.

The code for getting the low subscription price at checkout is TECHBARGAINS.

I am unsure when this discount ends (it may be tonight).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

21 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Amazon Prime members get an extra discount off turkey at Whole Foods this holiday season. I'm picking my 18-20 pounder up tomorrow.  The turkey should be done and the stock should be made by mid-day Sunday. 

I pity the fool that wakes up early on Thanksgiving to put the bird in the oven.

Sous vide and deep fry?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

23 hours ago, Coogles said:

FirstBuild has lowered the price of the Paragon Smart Cooking system to $199 (from $299) "for a limited time".

https://firstbuild.com/products/paragon/

I prefer a circulator for sous vide but I do use my Paragon for deep frying, poaching directly in fat or broth and with the new mat I can use it in place of a griddle.

Is this a battery-operated device (i.e., no AC cord)?

20 hours ago, rotuts said:

good pick up !

it seems to have a battery you recharge via USB

I can't imagine that sort of set=up lasting very long pumping out 500 degrees F

but then what do I know ?

On the Paragon the battery/transmitter unit for the probe and mat is far enough away from the pot that it doesn't get particularly hot during cooking.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Instant pot mini 7-in-1 on sale today.  Amazon.com has it for $51.99 and Amazon.ca for $67.99.

I just bought one. :)

• Haha 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!