• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Aldi has 12 packs of Ball pint jars for $7.49 and wide-mouth quart jars for $9.99 listed in this week's advert.  

I just stopped in an picked up a pack of each.

I don't think that's the lowest price ever but it's better than what's on offer at most of my local stores.

Edited to add that they were a curiosity in the check-out line.  The checker and the people ahead and behind me all wanted to know what I was going to do with them!

I'll check -- the 7.49 is respectable, but I can buy them all day long for 8.97 if I can force myself to go to WalMart.

On the other hand...I was up home the other day and my stepmother sent me home with 24 empty pints, for which I was highly grateful.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Amazon is going to revolutionize WF,

it will take them some time , as they like to tinker and see what happens.

the NYTimes article also hinted that Amazon Prime members may be further discounts or etc at WF.

Amazon really does want $ 100 from everybody , no matter what.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

Went to Aldi today. Could not turn down a boneless pork shoulder roast (7 pounds, so will have to freeze it until there's a crowd!) for $1.49 a pound.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

17 hours ago, kayb said:

Went to Aldi today. Could not turn down a boneless pork shoulder roast (7 pounds, so will have to freeze it until there's a crowd!) for $1.49 a pound.

Such a deal!

I actually saw a TV commercial last night for Aldi's. They've never done TV advertising before (that I've noticed) so maybe they're trying to step into the Big Leagues of Groceries.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

52 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I actually saw a TV commercial last night for Aldi's. They've never done TV advertising before (that I've noticed) so maybe they're trying to step into the Big Leagues of Groceries.

Wow! O.o

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Also ordered a set of Messermeister steak knives yesterday, from the clearance section of Cutlery and More's website. I was reminded when we grilled steak last weekend that I don't care for my steak knives, so while I was thinking about it, I ordered some. Set of four, $49.99, regularly 99.99,  plus another 20 percent off with a coupon offer from the site.

Not familiar with Messermeister, but they had good reviews, and they have to be better than what I had.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

I just got an email from Penzey's. They're offering a free 1/2 cup jar of their new Bangkok Blend. NO PURCHASE necessary. Standard shipping rates apply

Here are the fine print details on this offer. The offer is good through this Monday, Sept. 4th:

*Penzeys Bangkok Blend Offer Details
Limit one free 1/2-cup jar of Penzeys Bangkok Blend per household during run of promotion. Not applicable to prior sales, not valid with other offers. While supplies last. Coupon must be presented at time of purchase. Call 800-741-7787 to redeem by phone. Online, visit www.penzeys.com and select the coupon item you’d like to receive by entering "10353C" into the “apply code” field at checkout. Standard shipping rates apply. Offer ends midnight Monday, September 4, 2017.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

one day 20 % off  William-Sonoma

on like or store

you have to print the 20 % off from the web and take to store.

I have two " certificates "  base on my new CC

these can be used and are not excluded

suprise.gif.4c30cc879bf6e875fa21af4a34f82a83.gif

other wise there are some exclusions

• Like 1

Another Penzey's deal...three for one.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier but today of all days, my work actually wants me to do some work xD, so I am late in posting this:

Penzey's has free shipping for orders of $20 or more through 9/10/17.
They are also giving away (for free) a 1/2 cup jar of their Bangkok blend. There's a code to enter for this offer.
If you spend $5 or more, you can get a free 1/2 cup jar of their Sunnry Paris Blend.
The fine print is listed below:

*Shipping Offer Details 
To redeem by phone call 800-741-7787.Orders sent within the US with a final shopping basket total of $20.00 or more will receive free standard ground shipping. Must have a valid street address. Not applicable to prior sales. Offer ends midnight Sunday, September 10, 2017.

*Penzeys Sunny Paris Offer Details 
Limit one free 1/2-cup jar of Penzeys Sunny Paris Seasoning per household during run of promotion. $5 spending required. Not applicable to prior sales, not valid with other offers. While supplies last. Coupon must be presented at time of purchase. Call 800-741-7787 to redeem by phone. Online, visit www.penzeys.com, spend a minimum of $5, and select the coupon item you’d like to receive by entering "15453C" into the “apply code” field at checkout. Standard shipping rates apply. Offer ends midnight Sunday, September 17, 201

*Penzeys Bangkok Blend Offer Details
Limit one free 1/2-cup jar of Penzeys Bangkok Blend per household during run of promotion. Not applicable to prior sales, not valid with other offers. While supplies last. Coupon must be presented at time of purchase. Call 800-741-7787 to redeem by phone. Online, visit www.penzeys.com and select the coupon item you’d like to receive by entering "10353C" into the “apply code” field at checkout. Standard shipping rates apply. Offer ends midnight Sunday, September 10, 2017.

Tim Oliver

Didn't search this thread but you can find digital/paperback cookbook sales here   "https://www.ereaderiq.com/"    Amazon changes their prices daily and you can search by price.   

And if you're searching for deals on Amazon, add this the Amazon https line  :   To see which ones are 50 percent off, add &pct-off=50- to the end of the search URL. How about ones that are between 50 and 70 percent off? Simply add &pct-off=50-70 to the URL, and you're good to go.   If you're looking for older cookbooks, https://www.abebooks.com has decent prices.   

• Like 1

Amazon Warehouse Deals finally came through for me. After watching it on and off for a year or more, it finally coughed up a Masterbilt portable electric smoker for something under half price; I snagged it. It arrives Tuesday. I am about to settle down with a glass of wine and Ruhlman and Polcyn's Charcuterie. I have a couple of nice salmon filets in the freezer; that may be my first effort, and pork belly is not far behind.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

29 minutes ago, kayb said:

Amazon Warehouse Deals finally came through for me. After watching it on and off for a year or more, it finally coughed up a Masterbilt portable electric smoker for something under half price; I snagged it. It arrives Tuesday. I am about to settle down with a glass of wine and Ruhlman and Polcyn's Charcuterie. I have a couple of nice salmon filets in the freezer; that may be my first effort, and pork belly is not far behind.

I can't wait for your reports.  I bought an electric one some years ago but never figured out what to do with it so I sold it to a worker who was doing something around the yard.  I wish I could have used it but it was just above my skill set.

I've wanted one for ages. I've set up a makeshift smoker on my gas grill, but it leaves much to be desired. Went to the grocery today and spent much time looking at potential things to smoke...

Sigh...time was, when I was looking for something potential to smoke, it wasn't meat or fish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

53 minutes ago, kayb said:

I've wanted one for ages. I've set up a makeshift smoker on my gas grill, but it leaves much to be desired. Went to the grocery today and spent much time looking at potential things to smoke...

I had good luck smoking the $1.49 boneless pork shoulder roast you mentioned up thread. I gave it a liberal dry rub with the usual characters left it uncovered in the fridge overnight, hickory smoked it ( in a Masterbuilt electric smoker) at 224 F to an internal temp of 200 F, in a pan to collect the juices, from which I separated the fat and added the juice back to the pulled pork. Served with a Piedmont style BBQ sauce and some freshly made coleslaw on Aldi Hamburg rolls for several memorable meals!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

ChefSteps sent out referral codes for Joule circulators good for $30 off 9/25-26/17 only, code giver also gets a $30 gift card the first time their discount code is used.  

"Give your friends $30 off Joule and get $30 back! If your neighbor, your brother, or your barber buys Joule today or tomorrow using your code, you’ll get a $30 Amazon gift card.*"

My code is sharejoule-0sfzhb if anyone is looking to purchase a Joule.

Anova is selling off their 1st gen Precision Cookers at a pretty good discount while supplies last...

http://anovaculinary.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f115d810b617d748ce4cf45&id=c862724c7f&e=d0300f4d27

Edited by Coogles
Broken link (log)

21 hours ago, Coogles said:

"Give your friends $30 off Joule and get $30 back! If your neighbor, your brother, or your barber buys Joule today or tomorrow using your code, you’ll get a $30 Amazon gift card.*"

Did you receive this offer in an email?

Thanks!

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, Coogles said:

Yes, they sent out an email on Monday.  They did the same thing in May so it could be something they plan on doing periodically.

Hmmm... I'm a Premium member and I got no such email.
I've sent them a question as to why I don't seem to be on the mailing list.

Thanks!

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Calphalon on Amazon:

"Calphalon 1932442 Classic Nonstick All Purpose Pan with Cover, 12-Inch, Grey"  $27.50US

See the Q & A down by the reviews...oddly, they say the pan can't be used on induction stoves even though it's supposed to be a steel pan.

It's large and deep and non-stick.

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

Calphalon on Amazon:

"Calphalon 1932442 Classic Nonstick All Purpose Pan with Cover, 12-Inch, Grey"  $27.50US

See the Q & A down by the reviews...oddly, they say the pan can't be used on induction stoves even though it's supposed to be a steel pan.

It's large and deep and non-stick.

I'm thinking that that price is for Prime members. I see $ 54.76 when I look.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I'm thinking that that price is for Prime members. I see $ 54.76 when I look.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

$74.48 Canadian.

My apologies. I didn't realize it made a difference in "regular" items. I know it makes a difference with Kindle cookbooks.

My standard caveat: Yes, I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver