• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I see the same as @MelissaH.  Just the higher price on .com whether I'm logged in or not.  I only see the lower price on .ca

At least that behavior is consistent for 2 US Prime members.

Very, very strange. I am not a prime member either in the US or in Canada and yet I can see the lower price on the US site.  I am guessing it is some sort of glitch  and perhaps Amazon.com is not even aware of it. 

IMG_0686.thumb.PNG.41f88e1ef224777e18776c1fabade8cf.PNG

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Very, very strange. I am not a prime member either in the US or in Canada and yet I can see the lower price on the US site.  I am guessing it is some sort of glitch  and perhaps Amazon.com is not even aware of it. 

It does seem that everyone who's reported seeing the lower price on the US site is actually in Canada.... 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

It does seem that everyone who's reported seeing the lower price on the US site is actually in Canada.... 

I too see it on both .com and .ca, with slightly different pricing.  I am a Prime member of .ca but not . com

Still chatting, still no good answer. The response of two reps so far is that the book's price is $14.55 US. I pointed out all the discrepancies and they are now forwarding me on to a supervisor/manager. 

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

Still chatting, still no good answer. The response of two reps so far is that the book's price is $14.55 US. I pointed out all the discrepancies and they are now forwarding me on to a supervisor/manager. 

Hard for them to argue with the photograph I posted of their website. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Still chatting. I sent a copy of the screen pricing to them. They have no idea. But they are making me jump through a bunch of hoops - trying different devices, browser details, etc. 

I'm starting to regret asking them!   :laugh:

Conclusion is that the IP address I am logging in from is causing the price changes. The book is on sale in Canada and logging in from Canada basically shows the lower price available to Canadians, even though I am logging in as a US Prime member on the US site. So, that's kind of what was suggested up above. Weird, though. You wouldn't think that location would change a price for a different country's Amazon site. 

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

Conclusion is that the IP address I am logging in from is causing the price changes. The book is on sale in Canada and logging in from Canada basically shows the lower price available to Canadians, even though I am logging in as a US Prime member on the US site. So, that's kind of what was suggested up above. Weird, though. You wouldn't think that location would change a price for a different country's Amazon site. 

Do you feel as if you are being led down the garden path? The explanation is just too bizarre for words. 

Edited to add:

And since when did Amazon give a better deal to Canadians than Americans. xD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Do you feel as if you are being led down the garden path? The explanation is just too bizarre for words. 

Edited to add:

And since when did Amazon give a better deal to Canadians than Americans. xD

Sorry, I had to go out and do a bunch of running around. I'm honestly not sure what to think. It does seem bizarre that an IP address would change the price. But the supervisor said he went through changing his IP address to one in the UK and one in Canada to test it. There are often geographic restrictions on things, but signing in to Prime then negates that, so it seems odd. 

And yes, Amazon does NOT usually give better deals north of the 49th!  :laugh:

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 1:35 PM, rotuts said:

For Instance ;

597f785d5f7e5_BBQS.thumb.jpg.ad8a390778f9e89576f4d262fda5b001.jpg

the author worked at the Miami Herald for some time.

My copy arrived today, sort of.  By "sort of" I mean I got a revised and updated version:

20170808_182155.jpg

Unfortunately, among the revisions she dropped the Cornell Barbecue Sauce.  I know I can get that recipe elsewhere; I have it bookmarked and can print it and add it to this book.  Nonetheless I'm disappointed that the revisions involved removing at least one recipe.

Another interesting point is that the revisions involve changed proportions, at least in one case.  Compare the recipe in rotuts' book for Florida Barbecue Sauce, above, to that of my book, below:

20170808_182135.jpg

All that said, it looks as though it will be an entertaining and informative book.  Thanks for the recommendation, rotuts.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

thanks for the tip on the missing CBS

I have two copies of the older book and the new one will be here in a day or so

I was going to give both older copies away.

now Ill keep one for a while to compare.

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

thanks for the tip on the missing CBS

I have two copies of the older book and the new one will be here in a day or so

I was going to give both older copies away.

now Ill keep one for a while to compare.

Let us know what you find out, please.  

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Two more...I am a US Prime member so the price you see might vary.

Tom Douglas' "The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle" Kindle Edition $1.99US

And a collection of food-related essays/articles from another era:

Elizabeth David's "An Omelette and a Glass Of Wine" Kindle Edition;$2.99US

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

41 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Tom Douglas' "The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle" Kindle Edition $1.99US

The Elizabeth David book (Kindle) is also available for $2.99 on the Amazon.ca site.   Edited to add I am not a prime member.  

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

I went for Elizabeth David.  While I was there for another $2.99 I picked up Richard Olney's Simple French Food:

http://amzn.com/B00MJK345W

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

More Kindle cookbooks that may of interest to some of you...and don't judge me on the last one in this post...I am posting it in case an eG'er might be interested in him/the book. I'm just sayin'...9_9 xD

And I am a US Prime member so your price may vary.

Mark Peel and Nancy Silverton's "The Food of Campanile: Recipes from the Famed Los Angeles Restaurant" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Martha Stewart's Appetizers: 200 Recipes for Dips, Spreads, Snacks, Small Plates, and Other Delicious Hors d'Oeuvres, Plus 30 Cocktails" Kindle Edition $2.99US

In case anyone knows of her, there's Food Network's Host Katie Lee's "Endless Summer Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Rocco DiSpirito's "Now Eat This!: 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods, All Under 350 Calories" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Edited by Toliver
needed a word added (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

5 minutes ago, Toliver said:

More Kindle cookbooks that may of interest to some of you...and don't judge me on the last one in this post...I am posting it in case an eG'er might be interested in him/the book.

I will forgive you almost anything since you brought to my attention the Elizabeth David book. I am so enjoying reading it.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Down the Rabbit hole I go ... The Spice Companion ... bought it ... what is next? (in my head I'm hearing," Darth: No, I am your father." Luke: "Noooooo ..."

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

21 hours ago, Porthos said:

@Toliver having watched the Nancy Silverton episode of Chef's Table twice in the last week, buying The Food of Campanile was a no-brainer. 

I was amazed it was on sale. She's been behind many great restaurant start-ups and may be responsible for the elevation of the grilled cheese sandwich into haute cuisine in this country.  

Doofus that I am, I didn't realize she was a baker. I guess I am still gaining an education after all these years.;)

Tim Oliver