• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

14 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

It might annoy family members....but It is far more annoying to a host, when one is entertaining, and ends up with missing flatware.   Happened way too many times.  I went on many a scavenger hunt in my youngest son's room searching and searching. I found a few pieces, here and there,  but the majority of it was unearthed when I happened upon his "forts" out in the back 40  some years ago. The little bugger was using my flatware in place of building tools! I asked why in the blazes he would do that...and his reply was priceless...."Because Dad would get mad at me if I lost his tools."      (Face palm.) 

That child moved out two Saturdays ago, and I've yet to lose another utensil. =)     Thank you @kayb  for that Amazon link!  I will keep it in mind, should the child return and swipe the flatware. :P  

On another note, with the season of garage and estate sales in full swing up here, I am on the hunt for more canning jars. Going to start working through some of these soup bones from the last cow, and canning the bone broth.  Must have more jars!!!! 

My youngest child was the flatware thief. She worked at a call center and had only 30 minutes for lunch, so she generally took something rather than try to go out and get back. And she took a fork. Which she rarely brought home. 

The spoons were mostly found in the foster son's room from where he'd sneaked into the ice cream. So were a number of ice cream dishes, and an empty carton or two. Kid had a weight problem we were trying to work on. 

Neither live at home any more. I'm thinking this flatware is safe.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 hours ago, MelissaH said:

I can vouch for Joanne Chang's recipes. I have all three of her cookbooks, and her recipes fall into my "most trustworthy" category, along with those of Dorie Greenspan and Jacques Pepin (among others). They work.

I bought this and have briefly flipped through it.  It has a lot of recipes that interest me so thank you for the recommendation.

• Like 3

On 7/31/2017 at 5:07 PM, Toliver said:

Saw this today...I'm a US Prime member and your price may vary.

Note it is not a cookbook but is a book about Chinese cooking and her time spent in China.

Fuchsia Dunlop's "Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China" Kindle Edition $1.99USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00QWM204

Well, that was short-lived.

The price has now gone up again. :(

edited to add:

Holy Crap! They're having a fire sale on some of Steven Raichlen's titles. Makes me wonder if he pissed someone off at Amazon. 9_9

Steven Raichlen's "BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America" Kindle Edition $1.00USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00COBSU3

Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques, A Barbecue Bible! Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.00USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B007NHRAR

Edited by Toliver
Edited to add more sales of note (log)
  • Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 7/31/2017 at 11:05 AM, ElsieD said:

I'm already looking at the reviews of those books. Besides Plenty, does anyone have any of these books?

I have Gjelina, Travis Lett.  I haven't made much in it mainly because one is obliged to make ingredients in the first chapter for use in subsequent recipes.  So unless you want to binge cook from the book there could be a lot of waste...time and ingredients.  May be this winter I'll take a week and just cook from it.  For @2.50 it may be worth it.

• Like 1

I just picked up the Kindle edition of Ronni Lundy's Victualsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=A2R2RITDJ for $1.99.

Winner of this year's James Beard  award for American Cooking and also Book of the Year.

Sadly, this price does not seem to appear on Amazon.ca

Edited to add: 

Also Kindle versions of Martin Cate's Smuggler's Cove: Exotic Cocktails, Rum, and the Cult of Tikiir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=A2R2RITDJ and Ashley Christensen's Poole's: Recipes and Stories from a Modern Dinerir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=A2R2RITDJ for $1.99 each

Poole's is also on special on Amazon.ca

I need to stop now xD

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

@blue_dolphin

Poole's has been on my wish list forever but I wasn't enamoured enough to pay the full price. But for a $1.99...  Thanks. Might have sprung for Victuals  but not for full price. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

Poole's has been on my wish list forever but I wasn't enamoured enough to pay the full price. But for a $1.99...  Thanks. Might have sprung for Victuals  but not for full price. 

I know what you meant about the bargain vs full price value calculation!  Jessica Koslow's Sqirl book, Everything I Want to Eat: Sqirl and the New California Cookingir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01IDGS3W has been on my "interested in" list for some time now.  The Kindle version is listed for CND$3.99, which might tempt me but the US price is $14.95 so I will continue to await its arrival at my library - it's expected in later this month.

29 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I know what you meant about the bargain vs full price value calculation!  Jessica Koslow's Sqirl book, Everything I Want to Eat: Sqirl and the New California Cookingir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01IDGS3W has been on my "interested in" list for some time now.  The Kindle version is listed for CND$3.99, which might tempt me but the US price is $14.95 so I will continue to await its arrival at my library - it's expected in later this month.

I think it has gone down even on the US site. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin

hoping this catches your attention while that book is still on for $3+ on Amazon.com. xD

Don't call me an enabler!   I like to think of myself as a facilitator. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

I'm still seeing Everything I Want To Eat at $14.95. I'm a Prime member, so that's not the issue.

I saw this also, then I logged out of my Prime account and saw the book price drop to $3.16. This is an odd case where they are charging MORE to their Amazon customers or something! Strange.  O.o

2 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I saw this also, then I logged out of my Prime account and saw the book price drop to $3.16. This is an odd case where they are charging MORE to their Amazon customers or something! Strange.  O.o

Could you find a way to buy at the non-Prime price? The kicker is that the Kindle, of course, is linked to my Prime account.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Yes, might have to purchase at higher price and then ask for credit for difference. Bit of a pain. Or do chat session or something in advance and ask for price adjustment?

Edited by FauxPas (log)

I just logged out and looked. And I'm still seeing the higher price, even when I'm not logged in as anyone. I logged back in and the price didn't change.

Obviously, there's something more affecting their pricing!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

It is there because I just bought it.  Have a look again, it is right on the bottom of the listing.

Yup - not for me.

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

I just logged out and looked. And I'm still seeing the higher price, even when I'm not logged in as anyone. I logged back in and the price didn't change.

Obviously, there's something more affecting their pricing!

I see the same as @MelissaH.  Just the higher price on .com whether I'm logged in or not.  I only see the lower price on .ca

At least that behavior is consistent for 2 US Prime members.

• Like 3