• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

For Canadians here's a dozen Kindle books available today at Amazon.ca:

Small Victories, Julia Turshen, $2.99  click

Rustic Fruit Desserts, Cory Schreiber, $1.99 click

Gjelina, Travis Lett, $2.99  click

Plenty, Yottam Ottolenghi,  $2.99 click

Bar Tartine, Nicolaus Balla et al, $2.99 click

Ruhlman's Twenty, Michael Ruhlman, $2.99 click

Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream Book, Laura O'Neill et al, $1.99 click

The Little Paris Kitchen, Rachel Khoo, $2.99 click

Beyond the Great Wall, Jeffrey Alford, $2.51, click

At Balthazar, Reggie Nadelson, $1.99, click

Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes, Joanne Chang, $2.99, click

Miami Spice: The New Florida Cuisine, Steven Raichlen, $1.99, click

Edited by barolo
Correct price, add missed word (log)
  • Like 1

Cheers,

Anne

Damned enabler, eh?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, rotuts said:

I'd go with 

Rachel Khoo

Ive seen her videos  

and enjoyed them

then again , for full disclosure 

Ive enjoyed

France !

She is the epitomy of whimsical!  That is neither a compliment nor an insult. It is simply how I think of her books.  Have never attempted any of her recipes but they do look interesting 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm already looking at the reviews of those books. Besides Plenty, does anyone have any of these books?

I have quite a number of them and I found them all interesting but none of them grabbed me as some books can. That is hardly a review.  Just a brief comment.  If any of them really turn your crank you might want to borrow them from the library and make a final decision although at the prices they are it's hard to lose.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Im not a fan of Steven Raichlen 

PBS shows.

no matter 

The Miami book is in the lib so Iill take a look.

not so relevant but this book ;

597f74f74f1e3_BBQR.thumb.jpg.4c151477d69932c3676c9e2053019796.jpg

is old :  1985

it has sections on FLA  BBQ   which at that time i knew nothing about

look for it in The Used Bin.

• Like 1

I have the Raichlen book. In leafing through it just now, I see that I've made maybe a couple of dozen things from it (which might actually be on the high side for the average cookbook around here).  The recipes have all worked, and I found the sauces and salsas especially interesting, at the time. I have no idea how "authentic" it is, claiming to represent the cuisines of Latin America, Cuba and the Caribbean (as well as bits of NY Jewish and southern US cooking). I do recall that it introduced me to a lot of ingredients that I was not familiar with, again at the time.

Note that it was published in 1993 (which is when I got it), before Raichlen became the (often irritating, imo) PBS host most of us know him as today (though he had already won a Beard award for a previous book). 

• Like 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

If you live in a house with teenagers/20-somethings, you know the phenomenon of disappearing flatware. I had, at one time, a 12-place setting of stainless flatware, but over time, the forks, salad forks and spoons disappeared. I bought another set. Over the years, another half or so of the forks, spoons, etc., took feet and walked away, leaving me with a mismatched set of stainless to use every day. It's irritated me for years, since the last teenager left.

No more. This arrives today.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb It annoys other family members that I keep count of some items like flatware and that I will go on hunts for them when they start disappearing.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

@kayb It annoys other family members that I keep count of some items like flatware and that I will go on hunts for them when they start disappearing.

It might annoy family members....but It is far more annoying to a host, when one is entertaining, and ends up with missing flatware.   Happened way too many times.  I went on many a scavenger hunt in my youngest son's room searching and searching. I found a few pieces, here and there,  but the majority of it was unearthed when I happened upon his "forts" out in the back 40  some years ago. The little bugger was using my flatware in place of building tools! I asked why in the blazes he would do that...and his reply was priceless...."Because Dad would get mad at me if I lost his tools."      (Face palm.) 

That child moved out two Saturdays ago, and I've yet to lose another utensil. =)     Thank you @kayb  for that Amazon link!  I will keep it in mind, should the child return and swipe the flatware. :P  

On another note, with the season of garage and estate sales in full swing up here, I am on the hunt for more canning jars. Going to start working through some of these soup bones from the last cow, and canning the bone broth.  Must have more jars!!!! 

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'm already looking at the reviews of those books. Besides Plenty, does anyone have any of these books?

I can vouch for Joanne Chang's recipes. I have all three of her cookbooks, and her recipes fall into my "most trustworthy" category, along with those of Dorie Greenspan and Jacques Pepin (among others). They work.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

Im not a fan of Steven Raichlen 

PBS shows.

no matter 

The Miami book is in the lib so Iill take a look.

not so relevant but this book ;

597f74f74f1e3_BBQR.thumb.jpg.4c151477d69932c3676c9e2053019796.jpg

is old :  1985

it has sections on FLA  BBQ   which at that time i knew nothing about

look for it in The Used Bin.

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

For Instance ;

597f785d5f7e5_BBQS.thumb.jpg.ad8a390778f9e89576f4d262fda5b001.jpg

the author worked at the Miami Herald for some time.

I picked up an updated copy of it - a 1990 or so version.  It looks like it'll be good.  Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Saw this today...I'm a US Prime member and your price may vary.

Note it is not a cookbook but is a book about Chinese cooking and her time spent in China.

Fuchsia Dunlop's "Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China" Kindle Edition $1.99USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00QWM204

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 7/28/2017 at 2:57 PM, Anna N said:

Well the Ted Allen book is only $1.99 Canadian so it's hard to resist. Never heard of the guy but what the heck. And I'm not even a prime member. 

Ted Allen isn't really a chef, per se, but knows how to cook. He's more of a "personality" now on several of Food Network's shows.

You can read more info about his history on his Wikipedia page (click).

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have quite a number of them and I found them all interesting but none of them grabbed me as some books can. That is hardly a review.  Just a brief comment.  If any of them really turn your crank you might want to borrow them from the library and make a final decision although at the prices they are it's hard to lose.

At these prices I buy them and read them like novels before bedtime. If I'm really inspired I'll buy the hard copy. 

• Like 3

Cheers,

Anne

17 hours ago, rotuts said:

For Instance ;

597f785d5f7e5_BBQS.thumb.jpg.ad8a390778f9e89576f4d262fda5b001.jpg

the author worked at the Miami Herald for some time.

Cool that she included her rendition of Dr. Robert Baker's Cornell barbecue sauce. :)

Dr. Baker's Famous Cornell Chicken Extension Bulletin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

7 hours ago, barolo said:

At these prices I buy them and read them like novels before bedtime. If I'm really inspired I'll buy the hard copy. 

That is almost me except that I don't buy the hard copy. Even if I cook nothing from these books I usually learn something, get inspired or am cheaply entertained. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Toliver said:

Saw this today...I'm a US Prime member and your price may vary.

Note it is not a cookbook but is a book about Chinese cooking and her time spent in China.

Fuchsia Dunlop's "Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China" Kindle Edition $1.99USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00QWM204

Great book!

edit: I went to the same school 5-6 years ago. Not the same as it was then, but still a wonderful experience.

Edited by flippant (log)
  • Like 4

@DiggingDogFarm    

the book is filled with items like that.

keep your eyes peeled for it in used book shops or even consider it from a used online site :

https://www.amazon.com/Barbecued-Smoked-Butts-Other-Great/dp/0679765867

guess there are even later editions.

I decided to update mine :  $ 1.00 + $ 4.00  

a real deal

46 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@DiggingDogFarm    

the book is filled with items like that.

keep your eyes peeled for it in used book shops or even consider it from a used online site :

https://www.amazon.com/Barbecued-Smoked-Butts-Other-Great/dp/0679765867

guess there are even later editions.

I decided to update mine :  $ 1.00 + $ 4.00  

a real deal

FWIW, I almost always find the best deal on used books at https://www.abebooks.com/ 

It's a subsidiary of Amazon.

https://www.bookfinder.com is also often very helpful in finding the best deal on used books.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!