• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

More Kindle eBook deals...The prices I see may be different than what you see as I am a US Prime member...sorry about that:

The previously mentioned 

"The Barbecue! Bible 10th Anniversary Edition" Kindle Editionir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0075KQ56 by Steven Raichlen has a lower price $1.13US, if you can believe it

Also, "BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America" Kindle Editionir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00COBSU3 by Steven Raichlen also $1.13US

"Ruhlman's Twenty: 20 Techniques, 100 Recipes, A Cook's Manifesto" Kindle Editionir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0064BXCE by Michael Ruhlman $2.99US

"Plenty: Vibrant Recipes from London's Ottolenghi" Kindle Editionir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B005CRY2O by Yotam Ottolenghi $2.99US

"Lucky Peach Presents 101 Easy Asian Recipes" Kindle Editionir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00RRT34G by Peter Meehan $3.99US

Thanks.  And here I was all set to purchase Plenty till amazon thoughtfully reminded me I'd bought the book two years ago...not to mention I've posted my take on his cover photograph:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151304-dinner-2015-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=2021776

P.S. My eggplants on the balcony are about four inches at the moment.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks.  And here I was all set to purchase Plenty till amazon thoughtfully reminded me I'd bought the book two years ago...not to mention I've posted my take on his cover photograph:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151304-dinner-2015-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=2021776

Are you as embarrassed as I am when I discover I already own the book I am attempting to buy?

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, IowaDee said:

If Amazon is smart enough to let me know I already own the book, why isn't it smart enough to tell me where I put it?  Now that would really be useful!  

Did you ask Alexa?

• Like 4

Nope, she would want nothing to do with the likes of me.   I don't even own a cell phone.  

Let me correct this.  We own a Track  Phone but not a smart phone.

Edited by IowaDee (log)

A couple of Amazon Prime Day offers for books.

You can get $5 off a physical book or books at Amazon for purchases over $15, using code PRIMEBOOKS17  - might have to be a Prime member. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotions/details/popup/A5LJRSC8ZS47S

There is also a 40% discount off Kindle books on the purchases of a second one. (offer says you must be a Prime member for the discount) 

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b?ie=UTF8&node=17025012011&ref_=pe_2629530_245782890

Buy a Kindle eBook today, earn 40% credit back towards your next book, up to a maximum of $20. Offer valid only once per customer.

Credit must be redeemed by July 25, 2017. Credit can be redeemed on Print books sold by Amazon.com and Kindle eBooks.

Edited by FauxPas (log)

To the list of Kindle book deals, I'll add Tacos: Recipes and Provocationir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00TCI2A3s by Alex Stupak. $2.99 for me right now. I'm a US Prime member. (I've been staring at that book for a while, wondering if it would ever go dirt cheap, and I guess it just did!)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I suppose this counts as a sale as they've added something free :

http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?utm_source=Nl-2017July14&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Mk4OpenBox&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=July2017-Free-Needle-Probe-Smoke-cs

I have had two RediCheck transmitter temp units over the years

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/digital-remote-bbq-thermometers/

the first lasted several years , and the second still works but the receiver screen is very faint and has been for a while

its about 7 years old , and its difficult to remember how to change the temp limits.

Ive always been happy w thermo-works stuff so I got this.

I already have their ChefAlam

http://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm

and like it.   I did get the extra probe extension 

and as all the probes are interchangeable  

Ive got almost all of the combinations.

Im looking forward to this .

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

I already have their ChefAlam

http://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm

I tucked my ChefAlarm away for safe-keeping. It's safe from use since I can't remember where I tucked it.

I really, really like their Extra Big and Loud Timer, although it is not on sale at the moment, it does go on sale periodically. I own 3, one for my home kitchen, one for my FIL's kitchen and one for ren faire kitchens. As I remember it the ChefAlarm had an easy-to-use timer but didn't have the volume adjustment.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Ive Eye-Balled their timers for some time.

perhaps Ill succumb at the next sale.

Ive thought about their IR Guns , but its beyond me to understand how to set the

the emissivity.  any way you look at it , my wood stove is either cold , hot , or hotter.

I enjoy their products.

My DW gave me an IR thermometer several years ago and I had rarely used it until I got into SV. It makes checking the temperature of the CI pan easy when searing meats that have come out of an SV bath.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

guess i need to get one

on sale 

i have Darto Pans

and some heavy copper pans from FR

I guess all i need is this :

http://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Pocket

won't work well for the shinney

copper pans  

but well

attractively priced !

Instead of the IR, consider the Thermoworks surface thermometer.  I have one.  I've never seen it on sale though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

In Canada, BookBub  has the Kindle edition of Peter Reinhart's The Bread Bakers Apprentice, 15th Anniversary Edition on for $2.99.

Thanks for this note. I found it in the US Amazon eBooks/Kindle books at the same price.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Thanks for this note. I found it in the US Amazon eBooks/Kindle books at the same price.

As did I.

• Like 1

I am not sure if this has been posted before...I apologize if it has.

"The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking"ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00F1R9D9 Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US Prime member so your price might vary.

Tim Oliver

Another Kindle eBook item:

"Chez Panisse Pasta, Pizza, Calzone" (Chez Panisse Cookbook Library) Kindle Edition $1.99USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B004KABEG

I'm a US Prime member so you price might be different..

• Like 2

Tim Oliver