• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

Perhaps Amazon is reading this board...another couple of finds (fair warning...I am a US Prime Member so the price I quote is the price I see...YMMV):

ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00A1OZC6"Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction"ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00A1OZC6 $1.99US Kindle

"Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book: Recipes and Secrets from a Legendary Barbecue Joint"ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00486UEW $1.99US Kindle

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Found this by accident shopping for a new food processor today, Macy's has the Cusinart 11-cup Pro Custom food processor for 50% off with free shipping. Their price must be full MSRP at $189.99, but at 50% off it comes out to just over $100 shipped. Seems like a crazy good deal to me, but ends tonight.

Edited by Yiannos
Price correction (log)

1 hour ago, kayb said:

More Amazon: Zuni Cafe Cookbook, $1.99.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IFX1L0W/ref=pe_385040_118058080_TE_M1DP

At least, that's the US Prime price.

Wel, that was a no-brainer for me.  I like the hardbound book and have been considering buying the Kindle version for road trips, but didn't want to pay the standard price.  Thanks!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, kayb said:

More Amazon: Zuni Cafe Cookbook, $1.99.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IFX1L0W/ref=pe_385040_118058080_TE_M1DP

At least, that's the US Prime price.

Done.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

After waiting for over a month for the delivery of the Instant Pot Obsession cookbook from a private seller through Amazon, the order was finally cancelled.  I had to reorder from a different seller.  The book  finally arrived a couple of days ago.

I'm STILL waiting for the non-stick inner pot that I ordered at the end December.  It has not yet been shipped and the anticipated delivery is June 5-9!

Five months!

Edited by lindag (log)

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Psst...I posted this on the previous page.

As a couple of you have mentioned, I've also had some issues with third party sellers on Amazon. Amazon had better get a handle on their third party sellers quickly or their reputation will be heading downhill fast. 

Tim Oliver

After I posted that, I remembered some discussion of a Pepin book on sale recently; wasn't certain if it was that one. Sorry for the repeat.

I checked, and mine's been delivered, though. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, lindag said:

After waiting for over a month for the delivery of the Instant Pot Obsession cookbook from a private seller through Amazon, the order was finally cancelled.  I had to reorder from a different seller. 

Right now, the Kindle version of this book is $2.99, at least for Prime members. (Disclosure: I live with the author.)

• Like 4

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

34 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

Right now, the Kindle version of this book is $2.99, at least for Prime members. (Disclosure: I live with the author.)

I now have another book on Kindle.  Looks good!  Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

Oh, you are sooooo lucky!

A mixed bag (note I am a US Prime Member so the price you see might vary):

"Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, and Shakes" Kindle edition $1.99USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00444599

"The Gramercy Tavern Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00CVS2L0

"Rose's All-Original All-American Pie Recipes" Kindle Edition  $2.99ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01N4C70J  (Rose Levy Beranbaum)

edited to add:

Not quite in the "bargain" territory yet, but I thought I would post it anyway:

"Sara Moulton's Everyday Family Dinners" Kindle Editionir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B003E8P9H $4.99US

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

A mixed bag (note I am a US Prime Member so the price you see might vary):

"Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, and Shakes" Kindle edition $1.99USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00444599

"The Gramercy Tavern Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00CVS2L0

"Rose's All-Original All-American Pie Recipes" Kindle Edition  $2.99ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01N4C70J  (Rose Levy Beranbaum)

edited to add:

Not quite in the "bargain" territory yet, but I thought I would post it anyway:

"Sara Moulton's Everyday Family Dinners" Kindle Editionir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B003E8P9H $4.99US

Question:  do you get notified of these deals?  I get daiky Kindle notifications from Amazon.ca but there is never a cookbook among them.  I too am a Prime member.

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Question:  do you get notified of these deals?  I get daiky Kindle notifications from Amazon.ca but there is never a cookbook among them.  I too am a Prime member.

No. I do not get notified. Amazon is one of the web sites that I try to peruse daily (and briefly...that site is full of rabbit holes!).  

When I go to the Kindle section of the Amazon web site, there are some different categories of cookbooks (International, Cookies, Pies, etc) shown to me. I sort of zip through them to see if there is anything new. 

The Amazon Daily Kindle Book Deals are not for people looking for cookbooks. If you click on the "Kindle Daily Deals" section of the Amazon web site, cookbooks do not show up. They have a lot of other categories (Romance, bestsellers, etc) but no cookbooks. I am hopeful this will be rectified some day ("...He said to the Amazon employees reading this forum" 9_9).

Then when I do have the time, I will go through the Amazon Kindle Cookbook section with their thousands of cookbooks and just start looking through them, page after page (after putting my viewing settings in the search bar at the top of the screen. For example "- Paleo -Diet -Vegan -Gluten" to screen out the cookbooks I have no interest in). I burn out easily doing the long page perusals but sometimes, I find gems which I post here on eGullet.

edited to add another not-quite-in-the-bargain-price-territory cookbook:

"Wolfgang Puck Makes It Easy" Kindle Editionir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B007V91GU $4.99US

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 4

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

There is a (free) service I subscribe to called BookBub. When I signed up, I indicated what kind of books interested me; I chose cookbooks and mystery/thriller. I get a daily email notifying me of a sample of what Amazon has on sale, usually 2.99 or less, in those categories. I'm sure it's not all of them (I have eGullet for that, after all!), but it's a good sampling. A good 75 percent of my Kindle reading comes from that.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, barolo said:

I use BookBub too. There's a Canadian option in the settings @ElsieD

Sounds dangerous.xD

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

the spoons got here promptly  :

Spoons.thumb.jpg.d5174bed6aba2853674192f03186b349.jpg

they are very nice and Im glad I have them   the large is well large , but w the free shipping it essentially was free.

I don't know how these compare w the Ruhlman spoons ;

https://shop.ruhlman.com/products/offset-spoon-set

they don't seem to have as much off-set.   but they are fine for me

and about the same price w shipping as these :

https://shop.ruhlman.com/products/spoon-set

but have two perforated spoons rather than one.

which will be more useful to me.

Im happy w this purchase

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Mine won't be here until Tuesday... silly holiday weekend. I'll post a picture of these alongside the Ruhlman spoons once they get here. I will say that the perforated BAE spoon from Ruhlman is quite large, and is more like a serving spoon (or something you'd cook with) than an oversized "regular" spoon. 

• Like 1