• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

This has got to be an error, and surely it'll be changed soon, but right now, Amazon has the IP Lux for $8.99 with free shipping!

Here.

I'd suggest ordering one quickly. I just did.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@kayb 

did your order actually go through ?  mine bounced when I p[laced it in the Cart.

Yep, and I got a confirmation. We shall see. 

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

I will be curious to see if mine actually arrives on my doorstep next week. So far, no email saying "Sorry, but..."

Don't know that I actually NEED another IP, but who could turn that down?

Edited by kayb
to add another thought. (log)
  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

@kayb  

I do hope you get the Pot.  it can be a reserve !

or a la @Shelby  

you might run two at a time.

It might be , in the long term better

that 

@Shelby  

didn't buy 10 - 20 more 

why ?

think of her Electrical Contractor's Bill to get more Amps and watts etc into the Kitchen !

just saying.

I do hope you get the pot

@kayb  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note from (one of) your friendly neighborhood enabler(s): the following Kindle ebooks are currently available very inexpensively:

My Southern Food: A Celebration of Flavors of the Southir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0047O2B7 by Devon O'Day ($1.99)

The Violet Bakery Cookbookir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00N6PFB5 by Claire Ptak ($1.99)

Citrus: Sweet and Savory Sun-Kissed Recipesir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00QP3SAS by Valerie Aikman-Smith and Victoria Pearson ($1.99)

Down South: Bourbon, Pork, Gulf Shrimp, and Second Helpings of Everythingir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00EX4EPB by Donald Link with Paula Disbrowe ($1.99)

To The Boneir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00AXIZ42 by Paul Liebrandt and Andrew Friedman ($1.99)

The New Sugar and Spice: A Recipe for Bolder Bakingir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00R04OVV by Samantha Seneviratne ($1.99)

and because we all like waffles so much, Waffles: Sweet, Savory, Simpleir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00IPYLUV by Dawn Yanagihara ($1.99)

The only one of these that I've read is the Violet Bakery Cookbook. I was in NYC a couple of weeks ago and swung into Kitchen Arts & Letters, to browse and discover. This book looked good enough that I purchased a hard copy, which I devoured on the train ride home. The others, I suspect I'll be reading very soon.

You're welcome! <running far, far away, as fast as I can manage>

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Update on the ultra-cheap Instant Pot -- if something sounds too good to be true, it likely is. No pot as of yet. 70+ negative reviews on seller, saying merchandise was never received. At least I didn't put out much money for it, although I'll be attempting to recoup that from Amazon.

Don't ask. Eat it.

9 minutes ago, kayb said:

Update on the ultra-cheap Instant Pot -- if something sounds too good to be true, it likely is. No pot as of yet. 70+ negative reviews on seller, saying merchandise was never received. At least I didn't put out much money for it, although I'll be attempting to recoup that from Amazon.

Seems to be a bit of a problem with some sellers on Amazon. My son just ran into a similar situation though it was not food related.  I am betting there is still a way that the sellers make enough money from people who can't be bothered to complain that it's worth their while. I'm suggesting it's a numbers game I guess.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Seems to be a bit of a problem with some sellers on Amazon. My son just ran into a similar situation though it was not food related.  I am betting there is still a way that the sellers make enough money from people who can't be bothered to complain that it's worth their while. I'm suggesting it's a numbers game I guess.

It's like an IP going for over $5000 - they only have to sell one to make a bit of spare change.

p

On 3/17/2017 at 3:31 PM, dscheidt said:

ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00W7PJSGir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00W7PJSG

My mother gave me one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W7PJSGI

for christmas.  It appears to work, but I haven't tested thoroughly.

Thanks, but I'll stick to my $2.99 Dexter-Russell spreader that works just fine with a quick dip in hot water. 

It is about 20 years old so I believe I have more than gotten the value out of it.  And with the textured handle, it is easy for arthritic hands to grasp. 

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

19 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Just a note from (one of) your friendly neighborhood enabler(s): the following Kindle ebooks are currently available very inexpensively:

....You're welcome! <running far, far away, as fast as I can manage>

I fell down the damn Amazon rabbit hole following your links. >sigh<

I'm usually wary of the "bargain" ($1.99US or less) Kindle books as there are some...uhm, excessively productive ¬¬ Kindle eBook authors in their ranks. Sort of like Jacks-of-all-trades but masters-of-none.

Thanks for the postings/links, Melissa.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@kayb  

if the deal is too good :

hackers target amazon  

WSJ had an article about this.   you can get your money back , but Id look into the credit card for a number change

Damn. Figures. What I get for trying to jump on what I figured was an error.

Don't ask. Eat it.

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

WSJ had an article about this.   you can get your money back , but Id look into the credit card for a number change

I just saw this and immediately remembered this 'deal'.  

FWIW, one can never be too safe, but my understanding is that the hackers break into the seller's Amazon account and redirect the payments from Amazon to their own bank accounts.  As such, theoretically the transaction between the buyer and Amazon should still be secure.  The hackers probably have access to your name and address though.

well .....

Id go with maybe as I try once a day to be polite.

the hackers are probably ultra sophisticated.  

and that's what one should assume.

electronic theft is a very real deal.

banks for a very long time have lost many fortunes this way , but  its not been made public for fear of 

" loss of confidence "

Big Time

Amazon will make sure you are not out of pocket , for the same reasons.

electronic commerce would collapse otherwise.

assume nothing , and call your credit card company , the fraud line.

i just looked in my wallet.   I have a fairly sophisticated woven ' bill ' that says I have  ' One dollar  etc etc "

I can for course  redeem it at any time at the local Fed for :   another similar item but nothing else.

just be careful.

cheers

Wow. 

I did say one could never be too safe (with such things), but some people might experience significant distress over a situation like this - even after they have cancelled their card.  I thought I might minimize some potentially undue worry, but in the future I won't bother to try.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, Dave the Cook said:

Thermoworks Thermapen Classic for $59.

They're also having a Spring sale on several ThermaQ kits.

I can highly recommend the ThermaQ kits.  Simple, loud, readable, great magnetic boot...

I can also let the Gullets in on a small secret:  If you don't see the probe you want in the offered kits, call them up and ask for a substitute with equivalent discount.  I got the Pro Griddle (contact) probe, which gets a lot of use with my pan project; it also takes the guesswork out of knowing when to oil a pan at the Leidenfrost Point.

• 2 weeks later...