• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

13 hours ago, rustwood said:

I just discovered the Flavor Bible is one of a long-ish list of cookbooks that are a Kindle Daily Deal today.  I am not sure if that link is going to work for everyone, but they can be found on Amazon easily enough.  It includes the Red Rooster Cookbook ($3.99), Tartine ($2.99) and many others.   As the sale name implies, presumably this is today only. 

Only the Red Rooster Cookbook drew me in a for a second "splurge".  I have always been fascinated by Marcus Samuelson and his food and restaurants.  Seriously doubt that I will cook much from the book but I'm reading it from cover to cover.  Damned hard to resist at $3.99. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

One of today's deals, The Healthy Pressure Cooker Cookbook: Nourishing Meals Made Fast, by Janet A. Zimmerman ($1.99)

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

14 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

One of today's deals, The Healthy Pressure Cooker Cookbook: Nourishing Meals Made Fast, by Janet A. Zimmerman ($1.99)

That's our member @JAZ.  

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/10/2017 at 3:58 PM, Porthos said:

This is the inexpensive book I bought as a test.

Not sure I like needing the cloud.

You should investigate this further. With my Kindle Paperwhite :x, I have a choice. I can download books I've purchased into my actual reading device, or leave them in the cloud.

Also, as an FYI...if you have a smart phone, there is a Kindle app, too.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Toliver I have a weakness for real pieces of paper. I am doing screen grabs, editing in paint, and making PDFs I can print. While technically this is a violation of copyright, since I am not distributing them in any fashion, and I own the book, I don't feel that it is any form of piracy. I will be making one of jaz's recipes Friday as my first foray into using an Instant pot. I routinely trash my printouts. If I want to make something again, I print it again. 3-ring binders didn't work out for saving the pages.

ETA: The cloud reader I am using on my PC doesn't allow for downloading and then using that.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, boilsover said:

Congrats; it's excellent stuff.  Still quite expensive, and hardly the "world's finest copper cookware", but hey, who expected them to tout Brooklyn Copper Cookware?

Your mileage may vary.  Brooklyn makes a very limited range of stuff.  Did I mention very?  Meanwhile we are still waiting for your miracle line of cookware.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Your mileage may vary.  Brooklyn makes a very limited range of stuff.  Did I mention very?  Meanwhile we are still waiting for your miracle line of cookware.

Yes, BCC has (re)started small.  But its line has grown to include sautes, rondeaux, stockpots and--recently--saucepans.  So I don't think "very limited range" is fair or accurate.   But it is better than Falk.

I cooked myself "hyperconductive eggs" this morning, in fact.  I wish I could snap my fingers and have the pans instantly available to retail market.  However, as I have learned from the major manufacturers' development people, it takes 6 YEARS on average to bring a truly new construction to market.  This technology and its associated patents will be licensed to an established maker.  We are "making" only in the sense of proofs of concept and prototypes from which Big Pan can judge performance, cost of production, margin, etc.  We have an all-stainless-steel version in the works we expect can be made for no more than the cost of cheap clad, yet is at least 4x the conductivity of copper.   Stay tuned--you might see it shown by the winning licensee at the 2018 IHHS or Ambiente tradeshows.

The tech also has appliance applications--imagine an oven with completely even, variable heating on all 6 interior surfaces, almost no preheat time, and reduced electrical consumption.   Or 1 million fast-food clamshell griddles that don't need to be on all the time...

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow! More current Kindle deals in cookbooks! Look away, Anna! xD

Note that I am a Prime member and I found these on the U.S. Amazon site...your mileage may vary.

"Authentic Mexican: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico" (Kindle Edition) by Rick Bayless   .99USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B002AP9G9

"Emeril 20-40-60: Fresh Food Fast (Emeril's)" (Kindle Edition) by Emeril Lagasseir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B002SS58R   $1.99US

"Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes! (Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives Book 1)" (Kindle Edition) by Guy Fieriir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B001FA0TP  $1.99US

"Art Smith's Healthy Comfort: How America's Favorite Celebrity Chef Got it Together, Lost Weight, and Reclaimed His Health!" (Kindle Edition) by Art Smithir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B009NF6X8  $1.99US

I already have a deadtree version of the "Diners..." cookbook...not sure I would recommend it but he may have fans out there who might be interested in it.

There may be other deals...I haven't looked through them all, yet. Though I would post these first...

edited to add:

"L.A. Son: My Life, My City, My Food" (Kindle Edition)
by Roy Choi  (Author), Tien Nguyen  (Author), Natasha Phan  (Author)
ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00BATIKN   $1.99US

If you use the "Look Inside" function on this book, there's a complete recipe for Kimchi shown from the book, if you scroll all the way down.

I'm just sayin'...:B xD

edited a 2nd time to remove excess punctuation.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 3

Tim Oliver

Thank you for your concern about my bank account/gift card balance. I escaped unscathed from the choices.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

Holy cow! More current Kindle deals in cookbooks! Look away, Anna! xD

Note that I am a Prime member and I found these on the U.S. Amazon site...your mileage may vary.

"Authentic Mexican: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico" (Kindle Edition) by Rick Bayless   .99USir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B002AP9G9

"Emeril 20-40-60: Fresh Food Fast (Emeril's)" (Kindle Edition) by Emeril Lagasseir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B002SS58R   $1.99US

"Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes! (Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives Book 1)" (Kindle Edition) by Guy Fieriir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B001FA0TP  $1.99US

"Art Smith's Healthy Comfort: How America's Favorite Celebrity Chef Got it Together, Lost Weight, and Reclaimed His Health!" (Kindle Edition) by Art Smithir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B009NF6X8  $1.99US

I already have a deadtree version of the "Diners..." cookbook...not sure I would recommend it but he may have fans out there who might be interested in it.

There may be other deals...I haven't looked through them all, yet. Though I would post these first...

edited to add:

"L.A. Son: My Life, My City, My Food" (Kindle Edition)
by Roy Choi  (Author), Tien Nguyen  (Author), Natasha Phan  (Author)
ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00BATIKN   $1.99US

If you use the "Look Inside" function on this book, there's a complete recipe for Kimchi shown from the book, if you scroll all the way down.

I'm just sayin'...:B xD

edited a 2nd time to remove excess punctuation.

Amazon suggested to me The Slanted Door.  Had it been $1.99 it would be mine.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Hurry, hurry. You know you want one.   A heated butter knife!   Usually $100 now on sale for 20 something.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm thinking that I need the Inner Pot for my IP; I usually use my pot for slow cooking and braising and don't really need the s/s pot for pressure cooking.  I'm sure it would be much more easily cleaned up than the s/s pot which sometimes is a struggle to get nice and shiny.

40 minutes ago, lindag said:

I'm thinking that I need the Inner Pot for my IP; I usually use my pot for slow cooking and braising and don't really need the s/s pot for pressure cooking.  I'm sure it would be much more easily cleaned up than the s/s pot which sometimes is a struggle to get nice and shiny.

Interesting they are offering a non-stick option.  I prefer the SS but I know non-stick is popular with many people and I can see it's uses.  It's a good bit less expensive than an extra stainless steel pot. Thanks for sharing that.

They say it's in honor of St. Patrick's Day (or maybe they're just overstocked in this particular color): ThermoWorks has green versions of their ThermoPop, TimeStick Trio, ChefAlarm and Dot on sale until -- I'm guessing here -- St.Pat's Day. They don't actually say.

They have a few other things on sale, too: here.

• Like 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Not a single taker for the heated butter knife?  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Not a single taker for the heated butter knife?  

From the photo it looks like it might be more useful for melting butter rather than slicing or spreading it.

p

Penzey's Spices has 2 deals currently going on.

Penzey's - Spend $20 get free shipping now through Sunday, March 19, 2017.*
Plus, spend $5, get a free 1/2 cup jar of their Minced Garlic.**

*Offer Details
To redeem by phone call 1-800-741-7787.  Orders sent within the Contiguous US with a final shopping basket total of $20.00 or more will receive free standard ground shipping.  Must have a valid street address.  Not applicable to prior sales. Offer expires March 19, 2017.
**Penzeys Minced Garlic Offer Details
Limit one free* 1/2-cup jar of Penzeys Minced Garlic per household during run of promotion.  *$5 spending required. Not applicable to prior sales, not valid with other offers.  While supplies last. Coupon must be presented at time of purchase. Call 800-741-7787 to redeem by phone. Online, visit www.penzeys.com, spend a minimum of $5, and select the coupon item you’d like to receive by entering the product code 44350C into the “apply code” field at checkout.  Standard shipping rates apply. Offer expires midnight Sunday, April 2, 2017.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

36 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00W7PJSGir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00W7PJSG

My mother gave me one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W7PJSGI

for christmas.  It appears to work, but I haven't tested thoroughly.

I am all for kitchen toys but this one is just not breaking through my barrier. And my barrier is pretty damn low.xD

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog