• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

For James Beard fans The New James Beard Cookbook (Kindle edition) is on sale for $1.51 on  amazon.com.

Edited to put in the correct price.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

For James Beard fans The New James Beard Cookbook (Kindle edition) is on sale for $1.51 on  amazon.com.

Edited to put in the correct price.

I caved, except for me the price was $2.13 including tax.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an email from them...Today through this Sunday, 1/29, Penzey's has free shipping if you spend $20 (U.S.). Normally, you have to order/spend $30 to get free shipping.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have been in contact with Chronicle Books regarding the issues with the Kindle version of Eileen Yin-Fei Lo's Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking, and they have just emailed me this morning to advise that these issues have now been rectified. I have updated my version of the book and it appears that this advice is true - fractions and ingredient quantities are now displayed correctly. I do not have the hardcover version of the book with which to compare the numbers but I expect that the corrections are accurate. It looks like the Kindle book is still on sale for $2.15 so now is a great time to get it before the price goes back up.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2017 at 7:41 AM, Toliver said:

Just got an email from them...Today through this Sunday, 1/29, Penzey's has free shipping if you spend $20 (U.S.). Normally, you have to order/spend $30 to get free shipping.

Same Penzey's free shipping deal (spend $20US to qualify) through this Sunday, Feb. 5th.

In addition, they're giving away a 1/2 cup jar of their high fat Natural Cocoa if you spend $5US. Here's the instructions/disclaimer from the email:

*Penzeys Natural Cocoa Offer Details
To redeem online, visit www.penzeys.com and shop as usual, spending at least $5.  Enter coupon code “COCOA” in “Apply code” box at checkout page or Express Order page. Show coupon at time of redemption in Penzeys retail store. Call 1-800-741-7787 to redeem by phone.  No cash value.  While supplies last.  Offer good for ONE free 1/2 cup jar of Penzeys Natural Cocoa, per household with $5 spending.  Not applicable to prior sales.  Limit one free jar promotional item per household.  Regular shipping rates apply.  Offer ends midnight Sunday, February 5, 2017.

edited for spelking ;)

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, rustwood said:

ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B001FA0P8ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B001FA0P8The Kindle version of The Flavor Bible is currently $6.99.  The usual price has almost always been more than $15.

Thanks for this.  I have the hardcover version somewhere in this house but when I was reaching for a particular flavour combo the other day I was pretty sure it would take me at least half an hour to track it down.  I wished at that moment it was available on my Kindle. Now it is. :)

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, it's possible to read Kindle books in a browser window with Kindle Cloud Reader.

Yes.

Kindle desktop is also available.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I just discovered the Flavor Bible is one of a long-ish list of cookbooks that are a Kindle Daily Deal today.  I am not sure if that link is going to work for everyone, but they can be found on Amazon easily enough.  It includes the Red Rooster Cookbook ($3.99), Tartine ($2.99) and many others.   As the sale name implies, presumably this is today only. 

Edited by rustwood (log)

@DiggingDogFarm Downloaded and installed the desktop reader. Bought a cheap book to test it with (adding it to my EatYourBooks library, or course) and it should be a useful tool. The trick for me is to not go down the rabbit hole when looking at titles.

• Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

Enabled once again.  Bought The Glorious Pasta of Italy and the Jacques Pepin books.

I have Glorious Pasta home from the library.  The print is Impossible but that shouldn't be a problem with the Kindle.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou