• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

23 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Fairly certain Ms. Madison is not a vegetarian.  

Edited to say  I am so certain that I read somewhere that she did not consider herself a vegetarian despite all her vegetarian books but I can no longer find that so I may be mistaken.   Perhaps if someone else has heard the same thing they might chime in.

From an older Washington Post interview:

I’m happy that people don’t seem to harass you for not being totally vegetarian,

something you’re very upfront about. In fact, I noticed that there was just one

review on Amazon complaining about that, and dozens of other reviewers

jumped to your defense to say that, of course, it doesn’t matter.

I did have 20 years of hands-on experience, so it’s not like I’m jumping on the

bandwagon and discovering my inner vegetarian. I’m doing a book signing this

weekend in Santa Fe, at a butcher shop, with Joseph Shuldiner, who wrote

“Pure Vegan.” He sent it to me and I thought, “You can’t possibly be vegan,

this is way too much fun.” We’re both coming from the same point of view.

We’re not interested in fundamental lifestyles of vegetarianism and veganism.

We’re interested in integrity, which is the same as the person who started the

butcher shop. The meat is local, it’s grass-fed, it’s from here. And we admire

that. It’s not about saying no to this or no to that. It can be if you want, or it can

be that you simply want to eat some vegetables.

And from another interview:

Q: Tell us about your background and how you became interested in vegetarian

cooking.

A: I grew up in Northern California, in Davis. Meat was not very important in my mother's

kitchen, but we weren't vegetarians. We just didn't have a lot of meat. When I lived in

a Buddhist community in the 1970s and 1980s and we decided to be vegetarian, it wasn't

really an issue for me. I just wanted to cook. I cooked in that community in different capacities

for about 18 years, including starting Greens restaurant in San Francisco. But outside of that

time, I've never considered myself a vegetarian – more of a 90 percent-er. I wanted to be able

to work on improving conditions for animals, not just ignoring them...

• Like 1

... Shel

From Lucky Peach:

“I looked like a vegetarian dominatrix,” Madison says about the cover photo: she’s wearing a serious look, wielding two large wooden spoons over her shoulder. It’s a strange choice for a cover; the book, she insists, was intended to be comprehensive—not necessarily reflective of Madison’s personal tastes. She eats meat; she doesn’t care for soy milk. “I never felt comfortable about the vegetarian label, because it’s not who I am,” Madison says. “I don’t want to push things away! I don’t want to say, ‘I don’t’ and close doors. I wanted to open doors.” This spirit of curiosity and experimentation is evident in all her books.

http://luckypeach.com/the-queen-of-greens/

• Like 1

Cheers,

Anne

15 minutes ago, barolo said:

I was starting to think my mind is gone completely but apparently there are a couple of neurons still operating. Thanks for the confirmation.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Fairly certain Ms. Madison is not a vegetarian.  

Edited to say  I am so certain that I read somewhere that she did not consider herself a vegetarian despite all her vegetarian books but I can no longer find that so I may be mistaken.   Perhaps if someone else has heard the same thing they might chime in.

edited again to fix grammar. 

She disclaims being a vegetarian, definitely.  But 11 of her 12 cookbooks are aimed at vegetarians, her restaurant and farmers' market involvement (except her training at Chez Panisse) were vegetarian, and her middle name is "Leafy".  I'm kinda thinking it walks like a duck...

This reminds me of a discussion I once had with a vegetarian sommelier, who would not taste any of her restaurant's meaty offerings, but nevertheless unflinchingly (and without disclosure) paired wines with meat because "I know what meat tastes like."

11 minutes ago, boilsover said:

She disclaims being a vegetarian, definitely.  But 11 of her 12 cookbooks are aimed at vegetarians, her restaurant and farmers' market involvement (except her training at Chez Panisse) were vegetarian, and her middle name is "Leafy".  I'm kinda thinking it walks like a duck...

This reminds me of a discussion I once had with a vegetarian sommelier, who would not taste any of her restaurant's meaty offerings, but nevertheless unflinchingly (and without disclosure) paired wines with meat because "I know what meat tastes like."

I was not in any way attempting to belittle her many contributions to the vegetarian life-style but simply to note, with some astonishment, that she herself denied being vegetarian. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I was not in any way attempting to belittle her many contributions to the vegetarian life-style but simply to note, with some astonishment, that she herself denied being vegetarian. 

Nor am I.  I was merely joking that a maven of vegetarian cooking and a butcher/pitmaster might not make for a great marriage...

1 hour ago, boilsover said:

Nor am I.  I was merely joking that a maven of vegetarian cooking and a butcher/pitmaster might not make for a great marriage...

As odd as it may sound Kerry Beal and I enjoyed a meal at a restaurant called Butcher and the Vegan. Click

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

At the risk of sounding like a pot calling the kettle black: YOU'RE ALL ENABLERS OF THE WORST KIND!

BEST KIND?

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, btbyrd said:

ENOUGH ABOUT EBOOKS!

:P

Hey, we can be enabled to buy almost anything. What are you offering for $1.99?:P

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Anyone in the Northern Virginia area? The Tysons Corner Center Williams Sonoma store is closing and just about everything is 30% off.

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

DM's vegetarian book is excellent.  I use mine very frequently.  Reliable recipes.  I honestly don't think I have made a recipe that I didn't like.  Flipping through the pages I just see my notes on the recipes "excellent", "make again", etc.  The physical book has held up well considering all the use it gets.....the paper cover is a bit torn and worn but who cares.

Her Tunisian Tomato and Pepper Stew on page 405 is fantastic.  If you have some winter squash kicking around that you are wondering 'what the heck can I make now?' check out her Rice and Winter Squash Gratin on page 546.  Also delicious.  Most of her soups are excellent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, natasha1270 said:

Anyone in the Northern Virginia area? The Tysons Corner Center Williams Sonoma store is closing and just about everything is 30% off.

Thanks for the heads up! Did you pick up anything?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curls said:

Thanks for the heads up! Did you pick up anything?

Not a thing. I'm trying to minimalize kitchen tools these days but couldn't resist taking a peek before it closes. I've spent alot of time browsing that store over the years! Of course, the Galleria store is remaining and I think I've read somewhere that they will be opening a store in Mosaic.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

36 minutes ago, natasha1270 said:

Not a thing. I'm trying to minimalize kitchen tools these days but couldn't resist taking a peek before it closes. I've spent alot of time browsing that store over the years! Of course, the Galleria store is remaining and I think I've read somewhere that they will be opening a store in Mosaic.

Hmm... they might be better off keeping Tysons and closing the Galleria store. Sur la Table is in Galleria too (I like their selection better than the current Williams Sonoma offerings). Would be nice to see a kitchenware store at Mosaic.

World Market has 75% off sale on holidays merchandise.  How on earth salt packed capers and such are related to holidays, I will never know.  Also a bunch of rose was 50% off plus another 20% off if you buy 4 bottles.  Wine pictured its me 8 dollars and other items ranged from 75 cents to 3.75 for maple syrup sampler.

image.jpg

• Like 5

From an email:
Now through January 16th, get a free $6.95 value half-cup jar of Penzeys Roasted Garlic with any $5 purchase. 
To get yours, just bring in this email, or the coupon above, to any of our stores and spend $5. Or if you can't get to a store, visit us online at penzeys.com. After reaching $5 in spending enter 43953C into the apply code box when checking out. It's easy. Regular shipping and handling charges will apply, but regular shipping is always free with just $30 spending. This really is tasty Garlic. Don't delay. 

I have no idea if they assign specific codes to each shopper or not. I will be going there tomorrow. One upside to having to go to Anaheim twice a week to deal with things related to my FIL's terminal illness is a Pensey's that is near his home.
  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I picked up some Turkish oregano and the roasted garlic. I have been using Trader Joe's organic oregano and will be interested to see which I like better.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

@rotuts I don't really care that the TJ's is organic, it just seems a bit fresher than the stuff I get from my local megamarts. The Turkish smelled amazing ...

ETA: I don't know how my local Penzey's stays in business. At most there is only ever one other customer when I go there, going at different times on different days of the week.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;