• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Paul Hollywood's bread kindle edition is 1.99.  It looks very interesting.

May the bird of paradise poop in your porridge. That just took up most of an afternoon watching Paul Hollywood videos on youtube. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It seems DARTO  has sent me the pan Im interested in  ( USD 54 , free shipping ) w/o a confirmed martercard payment.

I do not use PayPal

I got an email telling DARTO not to ship the item w/o payment from some place in Argentina

Also I used to speak spanish , and read it, that was some time ago..

i did sent DARTO  and email in fractured spanish

asking for someone to email that spoke and read english so I can pay them vis MC securely

wish me luck

my guess if Im on a plane that goes south of the equator  towards S America , Ill be arrested and permanently detained.

Gosh !

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

May the bird of paradise poop in your porridge. That just took up most of an afternoon watching Paul Hollywood videos on youtube. 

It sounds so cute!  About to go home from work, planning on watching youtube and reading the book!

You might say this represents an anti-bargain...ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00OLDSDX

A few days ago I purchased a GIR spoon from amazon for $17.74.  Now I notice the same spoon is $33.03!  (Also shipped and sold by amazon.)  No complaints about the spoon itself.  I wanted a non-wooden spoon to use with my Le Creuset.

Same color too.

ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00OLDSDX

Edit:  sorry, the amazon link's not working.  The item is an orange GIR silicone spoon.  I also noticed the red version of the spoon is currently $15.95.

http://amzn.com/B00OLDSDXS

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 12/22/2016 at 0:38 PM, chefmd said:

Paul Hollywood's bread kindle edition is 1.99.  It looks very interesting.

Dammit. I see about four loaves I want to make. Next week.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, kayb said:

Dammit. I see about four loaves I want to make. Next week.

Sorry you missed the sale. So far I have only made the bloomer but I am gathering the ingredients for the malt loaf  and wondering if I can pull off a smaller version of the trencher.  His crumpets also look like something worth attempting. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Sorry you missed the sale. So far I have only made the bloomer but I am gathering the ingredients for the malt loaf  and wondering if I can pull off a smaller version of the trencher.  His crumpets also look like something worth attempting. 

Oh, I didn't miss the sale. He is residing on my Kindle as we speak. I like the notion of the trencher, but I'm also loving the thought of those Stilton-bacon rolls, and the first rye recipe he offers. Agreed on the crumpets; I've also bookmarked the one @robirdstx mentioned a while back. I've never gotten the kind of texture/crumb I want, trying to make English muffins.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

23 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oh, I didn't miss the sale. He is residing on my Kindle as we speak. I like the notion of the trencher, but I'm also loving the thought of those Stilton-bacon rolls, and the first rye recipe he offers. Agreed on the crumpets; I've also bookmarked the one @robirdstx mentioned a while back. I've never gotten the kind of texture/crumb I want, trying to make English muffins.

Sorry!  I misunderstood. I thought you had missed the sale. Yes I too want a go at those English muffins.  I particularly like the idea of using larger rings to make larger muffins for certain applications.   I know I have all the required ingredients and if the universe is on my side I might attempt them later today.   The larger muffins will have to wait for large rings.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/26/2016 at 2:00 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You might say this represents an anti-bargain...ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00OLDSDX

A few days ago I purchased a GIR spoon from amazon for $17.74.  Now I notice the same spoon is $33.03!  (Also shipped and sold by amazon.)  No complaints about the spoon itself.  I wanted a non-wooden spoon to use with my Le Creuset.

Same color too.

ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00OLDSDX

Edit:  sorry, the amazon link's not working.  The item is an orange GIR silicone spoon.  I also noticed the red version of the spoon is currently $15.95.

http://amzn.com/B00OLDSDXS

@JoNorvelleWalker,  It's really annoying, isn't it? Amazon's prices can fluctuate quite a bit and you really have to check different colours on products because sometimes one colour will be considerably less than others. That is certainly the case with these spoons. When I checked all the colours, the prices varied from $16 to $33 with a couple in between. 

Amazon price trackers like Camel Camel Camel (camelcamelcamel.com) can be useful to see how a product's price has fluctuated over time. Some observers suggest that Amazon prices increase just before they can be 'reduced' for Black Friday and Christmas 'sales.' I haven't followed enough products to notice that.

Here is your spoon's price data  (the orange one). 

http://camelcamelcamel.com/GIR-Premium-Silicone-Ultimate-Inches/product/B00OLDSDXS

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Here is your spoon's price data  (the orange one). 

http://camelcamelcamel.com/GIR-Premium-Silicone-Ultimate-Inches/product/B00OLDSDXS

All I can say is Wow.

• Like 1

We are in the final hours of Creamright's end of year sale on culinary gasses and such.  Ten percent off with SANTA12.  I just ordered another case of three hundred cylinders to keep the MR flowing.

38 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Mastering the art of Chinese cooking by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo is 2.99 on kindle.

Thanks, but I passed due to several reviews that claim the kindle version is riddled with errors - including incorrect or missing amounts in the ingredient lists.  That and the fact that over the past month I have only managed to read a few pages of Land of Plenty.

Over in another topic, @Anna N mentioned this book:

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

Another book that has once again risen to the top is Hugh's Three Good Things.  By Hugh Fearnley-Whttingstall, this is a truly inspirational book.  Based on the premise of three ingredients that work together, it covers everything from appetizers to desserts. Much more sophisticated than the simplistic "three ingedient" concept that is offered as an answer to "what to eat when you hate cooking" philosophy.  Hugh assumes that you care about what you eat beyond fulfilling a physiological need. Think garlic, parsnip and blue cheese soup or leeks, cheese, bread (a toastie) or chocolate, prunes, brandy (pudding). You get the idea. Most, if not all, of the recipes are accompanied by a photograph and most are easy enough to pull together. 

and rather than derail that topic, I'll add here that the Kindle version of Three Good Thingsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B008YVVOV  is available at a reasonable US $4.61 or CND $4.65 on .ca

45 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

It's always "ebooks, ebooks, ebooks!" with you people. 

xDxD:D

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Burpee is having a 25% off sale this weekend with the code NEWYEAR.  I ordered tomatoes, eggplants, a blueberry bush, and grapes.  Oh, yes, and some vinca.

Now I don't have to think about my balcony for months and months!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Burpee is having a 25% off sale this weekend with the code NEWYEAR.  I ordered tomatoes, eggplants, a blueberry bush, and grapes.  Oh, yes, and some vinca.

Now I don't have to think about my balcony for months and months!

A bush for your balcony? Of course.