• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mateus accounted for much of my 1960's.  Don't laugh.

Who is laughing?   We felt quite sophisticated. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On December 6, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Anna N said:

Well of course I caved. As @Toliver said in the Trader Joe's topic, "I have the spine of a zoodle."

The Waste Free Kitchen Handbook ..... Because I was curious.

New England Soup Factory ..... Because I need some soup inspiration.

Twelve Recipes ...... Because it was once on my wishlist.

Rose Water and Orange Blossoms ...... Because I need to stretch. 

Damn cheap entertainment I say,

Well the New England Soup Factory has some very appealing recipes so long as you are attempting to feed 10 to 12 people!  The recipes make huge quantities. Perhaps the word "factory" should have clued me in!   With my trusty scientific calculator I can no doubt cut some of them down to size.  Just saying......

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well the New England Soup Factory has some very appealing recipes so long as you are attempting to feed 10 to 12 people!  The recipes make huge quantities. Perhaps the word "factory" should have clued me in!   With my trusty scientific calculator I can no doubt cut some of them down to size.  Just saying......

Recipes always seem to have interesting final quantities..usually more than I need.

Are there any cookbooks you use where the recipes are the perfect amount in the end?

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

3 minutes ago, nonkeyman said:

Recipes always seem to have interesting final quantities..usually more than I need.

Are there any cookbooks you use where the recipes are the perfect amount in the end?

As a singleton....not many!  Recipes designed for four servings often work well if halved.  Like the royal ideal - an heir and a spare- I can have a meal for now and one for later.  Some of the cookbooks specifically designed for singletons can be valuable also.  I don't think I ever aim for perfection in terms of yield since your idea of a single serving and my idea of a single serving may differ quite a bit. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Canadians - the Phillips Digital Airfryer is apparently on sale for $199 today only ($100 off) - Bestbuy online. Was out for lunch - recommended it to a friend who wanted to buy his husband the Actifry - he came back with this deal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

As a singleton....not many!  Recipes designed for four servings often work well if halved.  Like the royal ideal - an heir and a spare- I can have a meal for now and one for later.  Some of the cookbooks specifically designed for singletons can be valuable also.  I don't think I ever aim for perfection in terms of yield since your idea of a single serving and my idea of a single serving may differ quite a bit. 

Singleton for some reason means something different to me..hahah

But yes, very true. Why is it so hard to cook for one...even following recipes designed for one....

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

Very nice!  Overkill for someone in my situation  but that does not mean I am not envious.:o

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

My Darto No. 23 arrived yesterday.  I seasoned it last night then cooked bacon followed by eggs in it this morning.  The bacon I cooked always leaves a sticky residue, so that wasn't the best test.  I am sure in time it will be great for eggs.

I was surprised at how heavy it is.  The No. 27 must be a beast.  With that said, I don't think I would want one that was any smaller.

I don't think they are pre-seasoned.  They come coated in some sort of wax/oil that takes a bit of effort to scrub off.  The Cooks Illustrated instructions seemed like overkill, but in hindsight it might have a been a good idea to follow them.  I seasoned it with neutral oil last night before cooking bacon this morning.  After the bacon and eggs, I washed it out well and hit it with another layer of seasoning.  My cast iron is pretty slick so I think I should be able to get this one there the same way.  

Now I am wondering if I still "need" to find a Griswold #43 as it seems to be very similar to the Darto No. 23.  Oddly, I think my mother's #43 is lighter than my new Darto.  I may have to compare.

Edited by rustwood (log)

They come "seasoned-ish." There's a base layer of seasoning that keeps things from rusting, but Darto recommends giving them a proper seasoning by doing the oil-wipe/burnoff method a bunch of times.

I start out with the "Cook's Illustrated/ATK" carbon steel seasoning method, which is to wash the pan and then fry potato skins with a heap of kosher salt in copious oil and move everything around a lot and grind the skins and salt around to get up any bits of manufacturing residue. Then I wash it out and do the oil-burn method a bunch of times. If you're not used to doing that, it's VERY important to get the layer of oil very thin. Once I put the thinly oiled pan on the heat, I keep an eye on it because as the pan gets hot, the oil will start to "sweat" and form beads (even if it was on in a very thin layer). At that point, I take a dry paper towel (that's been folded over a lot, so you've got some insulation for your hand... but you can use tongs, I guess) and run it around the inside of the pan to redistribute the oil and soak up residue. I think I got 8 or 9 layers on yesterday. I finish with an oil-free bake off in the oven at 450F for an hour to catch anything I missed and get a bit of seasoning on the exterior. 

Yep. I use mine on induction all the time. If you're just going to get one or two, I'd suggest the No. 27 and 23. That's what I started out with, and they're a good combo. When I got them, I thought -- as Rustwood did -- that I wouldn't want anything smaller than the 23. But then they went on sale again, and I got the two pans that are smaller than the 23... so there's that. But that's probably because of my poor impulse control.

Anyway, the 23 and 27 are a great pair. Keep in mind that they're heavy (and have wide handles) so if you're a smaller person, they might not be ergonomic. But if you're comfortable using heavier cast iron pans, you'll be fine with the Dartos.

• Like 1

I have a lot of very stunning copper pots from 

http://www.e-dehillerin.fr

way back when the FF was 11 to the dollar

I rarely use them

Id love to fine an induction top with a Combi-oven    

that won't happen in my life time  and Im not loosing sleep over that.

but Ill take some measurement and Seeee

are the pans on sale or just free shipping ?

I do looooove a sale.

cheers

They do seem to be somewhat "bargain" priced compared to other carbon steel pans of their ilk.  I do wonder if we are essentially paying list price and they are a fraction of that in every store in Argentina.  Also, the listed price of 540 Argentine Pesos converts to around $34 (I paid $54).

On 12/8/2016 at 11:47 AM, chefmd said:

I got discount code for Joule in email.  It can be used up to 5 times.  Gives you 20 dollars off.  Hope it helps.

sharejoule-2s3229bd

Thanks, @chefmd! I took advantage of this to save 10%. A little Xmas gift to myself, ha.  :)

Thanks for sharing! :B

• Like 1

The Kindle edition of Bones is available for $.99 on Amazon.ca. Even cheaper on .com. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Today US kindle has travel books deal which includes several international cookbooks.

also Christopher Kostow A New Napa Cuisine and Gabriel Rucker Le Pigeon cookbooks are 1.99.

I think that it is a great opportunity to add to Kindle collection.