• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

16 hours ago, quiet1 said:

I am very intrigued for an omelette pan. Some reviews find them a little heavy, though - how do you find the No. 23? (I think that looks like the best size for me - I'm concerned the No. 27 would be too heavy since I have wrist issues.)

I like the No. 23 quite a lot. In the past, I'd used the No 27 for omelettes, but made one in the No 23 after reading your question and it worked even better. Because the omelette was thicker, it didn't tear like it often does in the 27. (I must confess that my omelette skills aren't as good as I'd like them to be.) The 23 is still relatively heavy for a pan of its size, but it's definitely much more manageable than a size up. The No 23 weighs 1545g or 3lb 6.55oz ; the No 27 weighs 2121g or 4lb 10.8oz. But the weight is going to be an issue with any carbon steel pan, so that's not a Darto-specific issue.

15 hours ago, chefmd said:

The French Laundry cookbook is 2.99 on Kindle.  Other TK books are not on sale.

Thanks!  Was worth $2.99 to me.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For those of us who live with an amazon Echo, if you ask Alexa to order a Blendtec blender you get $100 off the Designer series:  $397.36.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks!  Was worth $2.99 to me.

Must admit I was tempted. But was just able to resist. I have it in hard copy but a Kindle version......

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Must admit I was tempted. But was just able to resist. I have it in hard copy but a Kindle version......

Same here - I own the hard copy but was still tempted to buy the Kindle version for that price.  Glad to hear I am not the only one with such inclinations.

36 minutes ago, rustwood said:

Same here - I own the hard copy but was still tempted to buy the Kindle version for that price.  Glad to hear I am not the only one with such inclinations.

I caved. :huh:

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/4/2016 at 3:29 AM, chefmd said:

The French Laundry cookbook is 2.99 on Kindle.  Other TK books are not on sale.

I was surprised to see many free Kindle cookbooks for the Instant Pot and the Air Fryer. Who knew they were so popular?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I caved. :huh:

Me too! -_-

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Damn it, why why why did I go look????????

I bought the Food52 cookbook and the Southern Slow Cooker book.  

I should be wrapping Christmas presents and cleaning out my closets....instead I'll be snuggled on the couch with a blanket and my Kindle.

• Like 2

Say it isn't so!  

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I hate to do it to y'all but Amazon has Kindle cookbooks special for their 12 days of deals today.  Lots of books...

I just got someone 3-4 bar related books instead of 1 or 2 becsuse of the sale, thanks! (We won't talk about how many fell into my collection while I was browsing...) I might still pick up a paper version of a basic book to sort of round out the home bar gift I'm planning, but this definitely let me include some stuff that might be interesting reading but isn't really a basic must have.

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Damn it, why why why did I go look????????

I bought the Food52 cookbook and the Southern Slow Cooker book.  

I should be wrapping Christmas presents and cleaning out my closets....instead I'll be snuggled on the couch with a blanket and my Kindle.

Told you before.....cleaning is highly over rated. Snuggling not so much. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Well of course I caved. As @Toliver said in the Trader Joe's topic, "I have the spine of a zoodle."

The Waste Free Kitchen Handbook ..... Because I was curious.

New England Soup Factory ..... Because I need some soup inspiration.

Twelve Recipes ...... Because it was once on my wishlist.

Rose Water and Orange Blossoms ...... Because I need to stretch. 

Damn cheap entertainment I say,

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

On December 3, 2016 at 10:26 AM, scubadoo97 said:

Oh no! Confirmations show I ordered 2  23cm pans.   That's what I get for ordering stuff while still in bed way before the sun comes up.  

Sent an an email but haven't heard back from them

As a follow up, I just got an email from the folks at Darto to correct my order.  All is good!   Now to work on staying asleep!   

12 hours ago, chefmd said:

I hate to do it to y'all but Amazon has Kindle cookbooks special for their 12 days of deals today.  Lots of books...

Sigh.  I bought Tartine Bread and Roots -- in addition to French Laundry that I purchased yesterday.  Would have gotten Plenty but I already own it.

Thanks again, @chefmd

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well of course I caved. As @Toliver said in the Trader Joe's topic, "I have the spine of a zoodle."

The Waste Free Kitchen Handbook ..... Because I was curious.

New England Soup Factory ..... Because I need some soup inspiration.

Twelve Recipes ...... Because it was once on my wishlist.

Rose Water and Orange Blossoms ...... Because I need to stretch. 

Damn cheap entertainment I say,

I have the paper and ink version of Rose Water & Orange Blossoms. I think you'll like it. And the author is a Michigander!

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

4 hours ago, Alex said:

I have the paper and ink version of Rose Water & Orange Blossoms. I think you'll like it. And the author is a Michigander!

I

I'm hoarding it, as I am wont to do, for the holiday season. I want gifts to "open" on the 24th. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I started to read reviews for the Tartine, Ruhlman, and Food52 books but decided for $3 each I might as well just buy them and see for myself.  I bought the Roots book for the same price a month ago.  It is great to get these deals, but I now own a long list of books I haven't even skimmed yet - including the roots book.  On the plus side, I bought the Joe Beef book at the same time, "read" it, added some recipes to my database and made one dish.  That is at least some progress.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, rustwood said:

I started to read reviews for the Tartine, Ruhlman, and Food52 books but decided for $3 each I might as well just buy them and see for myself.  I bought the Roots book for the same price a month ago.  It is great to get these deals, but I now own a long list of books I haven't even skimmed yet - including the roots book.  On the plus side, I bought the Joe Beef book at the same time, "read" it, added some recipes to my database and made one dish.  That is at least some progress.

But here is the good thing about your situation. I know this because I am in a similar situation.   Amazon will not allow you to purchase a second copy of a Kindle book without making you fully aware of your foolishness.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

But here is the good thing about your situation. I know this because I am in a similar situation.   Amazon will not allow you to purchase a second copy of a Kindle book without making you fully aware of your foolishness.

That's saved me a fair amount of money over the years....

I bought the Hazan Family Recipes ($1.99 on Kindle) today.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 minutes ago, Toliver said:

On Amazon, the Silver Palate Cookbook Kindle edition...$1.99.

I'm just sayin'....xD

xDxDxD. There was a time…

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog