• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Dammit. And damn one-click ordering, while I'm at it.

Yes.  I succumbed to Gjelina, Roots and the Joe Beef book - I may never try them at the restaurant, but I can't resist reading about the Foie Gras Breakfast Sandwich or Pork Fish Sticks xD

Edited to add this slightly off-topic comment:  In the case of Roots, I've been curious about it ever since reading Bryant Gumbel's Piglet review of the book on Food52.  A quote:

Morgan's recipe for Chioggia Beet Carpaccio for example, produces a dish that while very good and attractive, asks the reader to fry cheese -- a challenge for even accomplished home cooks. Further, it asks for beets sliced to a thinness matching the depth of Ann Coulter's intellect, a task I found near impossible.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

No. No. No.  I cannot bring myself to read one more page of Beautiful Breads etc. etc.   "Real mint sauce", meant to be served with lamb, made with a can of condensed milk? 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ah    Joe Beef.    Id very much like to eat at their Restaurant.

Ive studied their book , from the lib. of course.

Red Meat is not an issue for me , except that Memorable Beef is very hard to find , at any price.

Im allergic to shipping charges , and would not invest is Fz. beef if I did not need to.

BD  hope you make something from JB  !

PS   I saw a bit of JoeBeef the restaurant  ' recently '   [ed.:  rotuts does not ware a watch so get some grains of sand . ]

on what must have been a PBS cooking show.  or some other show  Rats.  I was impressed.  can't place it now

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Holiday cookbooks on sale. Aimed at the fans of Southern Cooking and the ilk (yes, including tons of Paula Deen cookbooks):

"Hoffman Media Store Holiday sale"

Hmmm...I just noticed that the prices are quite a bit cheaper through my link than if you went through the company website yourself and found the Holiday section on your own. Enjoy the lower prices, folks and yer welcome. xD

I do not have any of these books so I cannot testify as to their quality. Just thought I would pass the sale along.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

Perhaps we should task Melissa with setting up and administering a support group. We could call it the CIA. Cookbook Inhalers Anonymous.  She might be able to register it as a charity and even apply for government grants.   Much stranger things have happened.  

I think Anna would be better suited to the task. After all, she doesn't need to take time out of her day to work!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On 11/4/2016 at 5:06 PM, Anna N said:

No. No. No.  I cannot bring myself to read one more page of Beautiful Breads etc. etc.   "Real mint sauce", meant to be served with lamb, made with a can of condensed milk? 

Wut.

No. Just no. No!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Tere said:

Wut.

No. Just no. No!!!!!!

Are you sure? Let me list all of the ingredients just in case you are ever tempted.

1 14 oz can condensed milk

3/4 C fresh lemon juice

1/2 C lemon zest (wanna see you pull this off!)

1 T lemon pepper

1/8 t salt ( bet you'll notice if you forget this)

3 C  finelly chopped fresh mint

No need to thank me.:D:D

Edited by Anna N
To change finally to finely (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

well   .....

this is not OT

but a short Aside :

Why to the Anglicans across the Pond  have such an infatuation with Hats for the Girls ?

the Sombrero above must have cost  , bespoke , 4,782 Pounds ?  No ?

I think EIIR might just requisition a Wagyii Steak  ( 4 " please )  or some Cauliflower  naped in a white cheese sauce.

this is popular now :

http://wallaceandgromit.net/wensleydale.php

another short aside : Joe Beef :

Mind of a Chef   season 1 ep Noodle   ( 2012 )  had David Chang at Joe Beef.

I can't tell you have to find this

but its worth the work if you can't go to JB and eat,

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gfweb said:

One of Bourdain's things was there I think.  I think it was the series before the current (boring) one on CNN. He got shitfaced with JoeBeef people IIRC.

Yes. I watched it.

Edited it add: It's the new show, "Parts Unknown." Season 1, Episode 4, "Quebec."

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

VItacost is currently offering 20% off a $50 food order — with free shipping — as they do occasionally.

This is by far the best deal I've found on Red Boat Fish Sauce and a few other things.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

A friendly heads-up — according to Target's Black Friday preview, they'll have the Anova Bluetooth on sale for just $99.00.

Screenshot_2016-11-10_07-29-37.jpg

• Like 1

@blue_dolphin Thank you for the heads-up on Penzey's. My DW had noticed the post on the computer screen and so we went to the Anaheim store today, and in addition to the gift sets, we picked up some smoked paprika and some bay leaves. I think something else but I don't feel like retrieving the bag from the car right now. The gift box display was not signed for the sale but when I inquired they said yes, they were on sale.

ETA: Went out to the car. Also picked up whole nutmeg, air-dried shallots and ground Ancho Chili Pepper.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:35 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

A friendly heads-up — according to Target's Black Friday preview, they'll have the Anova Bluetooth on sale for just $99.00.

Screenshot_2016-11-10_07-29-37.jpg

I just received an email from Anova about their early black Friday sale which had a promo code for a Bluetooth unit.  With the code, it brings the price down from $129 to $99.  Offer valid through Nov 19.  I just used it to get a second one (technically a third one, but I gave one of mine away to a friend last year).  Promo code is: anova2-5a497cc6  Not sure if the code is re-usable, but worth a try and you don't have to deal with the crowds at Target on black Friday. 

37 minutes ago, fledflew said:

I just received an email from Anova about their early black Friday sale which had a promo code for a Bluetooth unit.  With the code, it brings the price down from $129 to $99.  Offer valid through Nov 19.  I just used it to get a second one (technically a third one, but I gave one of mine away to a friend last year).  Promo code is: anova2-5a497cc6  Not sure if the code is re-usable, but worth a try and you don't have to deal with the crowds at Target on black Friday. 

Probably not reusable. I got the email also, but my code is different.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I got the email also. But in my experience Bluetooth (yes, I know he was a Danish king) is akin to an impacted wisdom tooth.  Sitting this one out.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Duke's mayo fans — there's a coupon for $1.75 off one Duke's product — any variety or size — on coupons.com