• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rustwood

rustwood

I don't think they are pre-seasoned.  They come coated in some sort of wax/oil that takes a bit of effort to scrub off.  The Cooks Illustrated instructions seemed like overkill, but in hindsight it might have a been a good idea to follow them.  I seasoned it with neutral oil last night before cooking bacon this morning.  After the bacon and eggs, I washed it out well and hit it with another layer of seasoning.  My cast iron is pretty slick so I think I should be able to get this one there the same way.  

Now I am wondering if I still "need" to find a Griswold #43 as it seems to be very similar to the Darto No. 23.  Oddly, I think my mother's #43 is lighter than my new Darto.  I may have to compare.

rustwood

rustwood

I don't think they are pre-seasoned.  They come coated in some sort of wax/oil that takes a bit of effort to scrub off.  The Cooks Illustrated instructions seemed like overkill, but in hindsight it might have a been a good idea to follow them.  I seasoned them with neutral oil last night before cooking bacon this morning.  After the bacon and eggs, I washed it out well and hit it with another layer of seasoning.  My cast iron is pretty slick so I think I should be able to get this one there the same way.  

Now I am wondering if I still "need" to find a Griswold #43 as it seems to be very similar to the Darto No. 23.  Oddly, I think my mother's #43 is lighter than my new Darto.  I may have to compare.