• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

@kayb  @HungryChris  I have always started my lettuce directly in the ground. Lettuce germinates so quickly in cool soil and grows so quickly that in a couple of weeks I am harvesting baby lettuce for salad and thus thinning the rows.And I grow A LOT of lettuce.  Is there a reason that I am not aware of for starting it inside? I only start a few things inside - tomatoes, basil, radicchio, this year artichokes. Everything else goes directly into the garden once the soil is warm enough

I often see flats of lettuce seedlings at garden centers. They usually look ready to harvest for salad. I always wonder why anyone would buy them to put in the ground. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

@kayb  @HungryChris  I have always started my lettuce directly in the ground. Lettuce germinates so quickly in cool soil and grows so quickly that in a couple of weeks I am harvesting baby lettuce for salad and thus thinning the rows.And I grow A LOT of lettuce.  Is there a reason that I am not aware of for starting it inside? I only start a few things inside - tomatoes, basil, radicchio, this year artichokes. Everything else goes directly into the garden once the soil is warm enough

I often see flats of lettuce seedlings at garden centers. They usually look ready to harvest for salad. I always wonder why anyone would but them to put in the ground. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

@kayb  @HungryChris  I have always started my lettuce directly in the ground. Lettuce germinates so quickly in cool soil and grows so quickly that in a couple of weeks I am harvesting baby lettuce for salad and thus thinning the rows.And I grow A LOT of lettuce.  Is there a reason that I am not aware of for starting it inside? I only start a few things inside - tomatoes, basil, radicchio, this year artichokes. Everything else goes directly into the garden once the soil is warm enough.