• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, the seed catalogs are making me crazy! I want everything and I don't even have a real garden. I just have a few small raised beds and an assortment of pots. The garden stores are tempting us in with all kinds of offers and I CAN'T RESIST! Help!  🙂

PXL_20240209_015058586.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.ec3a8597cfe837477095053445a94c7b.jpg

PXL_20240209_015650979.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.c10582ba70691efe17224236780cc71b.jpg

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

OMG, the seed catalogs are making me crazy! I want everything and I don't even have a real garden. I just have a few small raised beds and an assortment of pots. The garden stores are tempting us in with all kinds of offers and I CAN'T RESIST! Help!  🙂

PXL_20240209_015058586.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.ec3a8597cfe837477095053445a94c7b.jpg

Resistance is futile!  

• Haha 2

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

here's the bottom line to that:

"

Pumplin measures success by whether or not a large number of consumers will embrace the health benefits, color and taste of the new tomato.

"Then it chips away at this negative perception of GMOs and that will enable other products to get out to market that deliver really solid benefits," he says. Benefits that include climate change, sustainability, health and nutrition.

"

'color and taste of the new tomato' - in English, it doesn't taste like /as good as a tomato?

benefits climate change - uhmmm, er,,,, how? zactly"

sustainability - it's a GMO hybrid.  it is not sustainable to the next generation.  you want sustainable, go with open pollination.

'health and nutrition' . . . . eggs are bad.  eggs are good.  eggs are bad . . . mouth music of totally unfounded/unproven claims.

2 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

here's the bottom line to that:

"

Pumplin measures success by whether or not a large number of consumers will embrace the health benefits, color and taste of the new tomato.

"Then it chips away at this negative perception of GMOs and that will enable other products to get out to market that deliver really solid benefits," he says. Benefits that include climate change, sustainability, health and nutrition.

"

'color and taste of the new tomato' - in English, it doesn't taste like /as good as a tomato?

benefits climate change - uhmmm, er,,,, how? zactly"

sustainability - it's a GMO hybrid.  it is not sustainable to the next generation.  you want sustainable, go with open pollination.

'health and nutrition' . . . . eggs are bad.  eggs are good.  eggs are bad . . . mouth music of totally unfounded/unproven claims.

My interpretations of those were, in that order:

Color and taste: "Once they get past the idea that it's purple, it actually tastes pretty good."
Benefits/climate change: He wasn't talking about the tomato here. But if the tomato opens the door to other transgenic products, they could work on things that require less irrigation or fertilizing, for example (there's been some research on giving other plants the kind of nitrogen-fixing capability that legumes have. Or crops that can be grown more intensively, so they require less deforestation for agricultural land. Lots of possibilities. 

Sustainability: see above. If it requires fewer inputs but can still be produced intensively, that's a long step back toward balancing Big Ag's ledger.

Health and nutrition: Tweaking plants to be more nutritious, as opposed to being "Roundup Ready" or what have you. I've seen research charting a long, slow decline in the nutritive content of most produce over the past 70-odd years (don't have it bookmarked, but could probably Google it up if you're interested). It would be nice to reverse that.

I started off GMO-skeptical a couple of decades ago, but have come around to the view that it's like any other form of "processing." It's not innately good or bad, it's a question of how it's deployed and to what ends. If it winds up giving us more nutritious food at less environmental cost (and yes, I do recognize exactly how much heavy lifting "if" is doing in that sentence) then I'm all for it.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 2/8/2024 at 9:00 PM, FauxPas said:

Yep that is me.  I've got so many seeds that I just had to have, and I really don't have that much space.  We have an acre lot, but there are so many trees, we don't have that much sun.

So, we put in some raised beds and are going to give it a shot in our one sunny place.  

Garlic is planted, my mom is going to plant potatoes.  I will be trying my black tomatoes, brown jalapeños, purple cherokee tomato, arugula, basil, and some type of cherry tomato.  

I bought watermelon radish, french carrots, other colors of tomatoes, cabbage, lettuce, etc.  I gotta stop these delusions of grandeur I've got 🤪

• Haha 2

A cool idea researchers in Florida came up with (obviously, lots of work needed for this to scale, etc, but still interesting):

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/02/flowers-grown-floating-on-polluted-waterways-can-help-clean-up-nutrient-runoff/

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 10:00 PM, FauxPas said:

Reading seed catalogues without first having a garden plan is equivalent to going food shopping hungry and without a list 😇 (not that I haven't been guilty of doing so).

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Haha 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

16 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Reading seed catalogues without first having a garden plan is equivalent to going food shopping hungry and without a list 😇 (not that I haven't

been guilty of doing so).

I have a garden plan in my mind. Unfortunately, it's far more generous than the space I actually have available, ha.  😄

I have offered to share seeds with a couple of friends. We did that last year and it worked out pretty well. Also shared some seedlings that we each started. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Reading seed catalogues without first having a garden plan is equivalent to going food shopping hungry and without a list 😇 

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I have a garden plan in my mind. Unfortunately, it's far more generous than the space I actually have available, ha.  😄

What is the antonym of "PLAN"?   🤥

This is my 2024 tomatoes seedling start tags.

Working on tags for other vegetables.

dcarch

PXL_20240217_195109372_MP1.thumb.jpg.3846d52530827bdecee8a22845effdb7.jpg

PXL_20240217_195025451_MP1.thumb.jpg.0a84546d493e7b7a63e3cfe56eef19ae.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Window herb garden bottom left clockwise: Thai basil and green onions, chives, cilantro, little gem lettuce, sweet basil, newly germinated mix of leaf lettuce and in the central pots from the bottom Italian parsley, garlic chives and dill.

Growth is keeping up with usage.

Trimmed my basil plant and am letting it go to seed.

DSCN1780.thumb.JPG.be7b64b967f768a238af802b0d003edf.JPGDSCN1778.thumb.JPG.10cbe0399727e8a12a23c7a8672055f2.JPGDSCN1776.thumb.JPG.a409ed01c22feab1210815dcb31d2c8c.JPG

• Like 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

• 2 weeks later...

Alex, I'll take "Things I didn't expect to see in the gardening section," for $800?

image.thumb.png.6bd4652d512f3f7f1209551d497b6793.png

(It's actually only $29.99 CDN, but that doesn't really fit the catchphrase)