• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

We had a nice rain overnight so we decided it was a good time to pull most of the onions.  They sure didn't get very big this year.  I guess because it go so hot so early.  Will think about planting earlier next year.........

IMG_4917.jpg.f91e2675e390e8204785edbddc9f7fbd.jpg

Todays other pickage

IMG_4918.jpg.1cfd919f78ee24910be11abb355551da.jpg

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, Shelby said:

We had a nice rain overnight so we decided it was a good time to pull most of the onions.  They sure didn't get very big this year.  I guess because it go so hot so early.  Will think about planting earlier next year.........

Mine just went in a couple of weeks ago. :P

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I was out in the garden pulling weeds last night, and found 4 cucumber plants!   Not at all near where they were originally planted, but by golly!  I was tickled to find out that any of them made it!  

If the knee can handle it, I'm going to try working with the roto-tiller this afternoon and see if we can't get a few more things planted.  Hoping that we will have a longer summer than normal, and maybe make up for the losses from the heavy rains. 

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

My downstairs neighbor has had stuff drying out on his balcony the last two nights so I thought it would be impolite to water.  Except for a bit.

The little red tomato is still there and has been joined by a sister.  I thought my arm had healed but I pulled the wound open stepping out of the shower.  Fortunately my towels are brown.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 7/14/2018 at 8:03 AM, Shelby said:

Or plant them later. Onions are an autumnal crop around here. Every October/November, you can smell the onions in the fields (Kern County is where Joseph Wambaugh's "The Onion Field" killings took place).

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Toliver  Isn't that interesting how the smell of the vegetables rises from the fields!  I remember doing a Century cycling ride and the cabbage smell around Santa Maria I think was overwhelming...

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

The zucchinis have been accumulating so today I made 18 cups of zucchini/basil soup for the freezer.  The rest was grated and portioned to make the zucchini-cheese pancakes from Fine Cooking.....five of those for a half recipe.

I have about 10 medium sized cucumbers to find a use for.  I do have a few packages of grated cucumber from last year.  Will I never learn that two plants is plenty!

The Yukon Gold potatoes are ready so need to dig the rest of them up.  Gave away two plants' production to friends who don't grow potatoes.  They LOVE them so we are now in their extra special good books. 😇

signed, Slave to the Garden

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

NY area folks, get ready for lots of cracked tomatoes.

Lots of rain is predicted.

dcarch

We shall see.  Needless to say tonight I didn't water.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For those who wondered why I needed such a big tent for 6 strawberry plants... Ahem:

20180721_115145.thumb.jpg.b894c3c50d13ee703097e9dbd179d45d.jpg

True, I hadn't pruned them since before our vacation... There were tons of flowers hiding in there. Pollination starts now!

• Like 11

16 hours ago, KennethT said:

For those who wondered why I needed such a big tent for 6 strawberry plants... Ahem:

20180721_115145.thumb.jpg.b894c3c50d13ee703097e9dbd179d45d.jpg

True, I hadn't pruned them since before our vacation... There were tons of flowers hiding in there. Pollination starts now!

It's a jungle in there!

dcarch

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, Okanagancook said:

The zucchinis have been accumulating so today I made 18 cups of zucchini/basil soup for the freezer.  The rest was grated and portioned to make the zucchini-cheese pancakes from Fine Cooking.....five of those for a half recipe.

I have about 10 medium sized cucumbers to find a use for.  I do have a few packages of grated cucumber from last year.  Will I never learn that two plants is plenty!

The Yukon Gold potatoes are ready so need to dig the rest of them up.  Gave away two plants' production to friends who don't grow potatoes.  They LOVE them so we are now in their extra special good books. 😇

signed, Slave to the Garden

Zucchini: @HungryChris's zucchini pickles are the bomb. I dehydrate zucchini slices, too.

Cucumbers: Make you some half sours! I forgot my first batch, let them go too long, and they molded. Have to do another batch, and I'll be through with pickles for the year.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, kayb said:

Zucchini: @HungryChris's zucchini pickles are the bomb. I dehydrate zucchini slices, too.

Cucumbers: Make you some half sours! I forgot my first batch, let them go too long, and they molded. Have to do another batch, and I'll be through with pickles for the year.

So glad you like them @kayb! Would you care to share you half sour method? I had a file that included a recipe for them that was supposedly posted by a long time employee of the Second Avenue Deli, but I lost it to a computer crash before I ever got to use it.

TIA,

HC

17 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

So glad you like them @kayb! Would you care to share you half sour method? I had a file that included a recipe for them that was supposedly posted by a long time employee of the Second Avenue Deli, but I lost it to a computer crash before I ever got to use it.

TIA,

HC

I use this  recipe, but I just put a couple of whole garlic cloves in the bottom of each jar, and I add a quarter-teaspoon of red pepper flakes to each jar, or drop in a jalapeno. Let them ferment about two weeks, then put on the lids and water bath process for 10 minutes. And I usually cut my cucumbers in half. I have the fermenting lids, so I just make mine in quart jars, and then sub out the regular ring-and-flat lids for processing. About two weeks' fermentation makes them about right.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 7/22/2018 at 2:55 PM, kayb said:

I am not a fan pickles so I don't make them.  There is a jar of gourmet pickles gifted to us about three years ago still on the fridge door....maybe I should put them on the compost.  

Thanks for the thought @kayb 

My 'pickage' for today was cucumbers (still), nice ripe Early Girl tomatoes and some green peppers.

Guess what I made...two batches I had so much.

Made in the Vita mix which one usually doesn't need to pass the product through a fine sieve but I did.  I was glad because there were about two tablespoons of sludge from each 6 cup batch.  It is resting in the fridge developing more complex flavours.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 4

It's the most wonderful time of the year 😁

Got some eggplant finally.  Going to make a huge batch of spaghetti sauce today and then vac pac it.

IMG_4975.JPG.dd38bb67188517ea65527615706b1fa9.JPG

Going to be a hot one today.  Irrigation going on our soybeans.  

IMG_4974.JPG.93ef2ea80f96042ac810f9c192c8a74d.JPG

And THIS tomato decided to be rude and moon us.

IMG_4976.JPG.251d40b92fd42fb6eb7dd6e3340002ab.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 11