• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

26 minutes ago, TicTac said:

You Southerners are lucky with your early (or constant) produce!  Looks great.  And Ken, those are going to be some expensive strawberries! ;)

Up here in Southern Ontario, we have thus enjoyed:

- Various types of lettuce started from seed in early May

- Garlic Chives

- Asparagus

- Ramps

First snap peas of the year showed up from my local farmer, so that is always exciting...

Oh, and young spring garlic....one of the loves of my life!

Yeah, you Southern Ontarians are lucky, too...my stuff's still just going in, and we had a frost warning last night. :P

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm somewhat ashamed of my garden; the grass and weed crop is about the best one out there, though everything else is growing luxuriantly as well. Between the incessant rain and being sick, I've not gotten out into it to weed or to stick the pole beans. Perhaps one day when I get that done....

I do have baby tomatoes.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

59 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Very, very nice and impressive garden @Shelby.

too hot for leafy greens?

Thank you!  

I planted 3 rows of lettuce and nary a sprout. It must have been too hot already I guess.  And this year the collards didn’t come up either. They usually replant themselves but they just have run out of oomph.

5 minutes ago, kayb said:

I'm somewhat ashamed of my garden; the grass and weed crop is about the best one out there, though everything else is growing luxuriantly as well. Between the incessant rain and being sick, I've not gotten out into it to weed or to stick the pole beans. Perhaps one day when I get that done....

I do have baby tomatoes.

Meh, like the wise dcarch said, weeds don’t hurt a thing. Don’t be ashamed of all of your hard work!

i hope you are in on the mend!!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Thank you!  

I planted 3 rows of lettuce and nary a sprout. It must have been too hot already I guess.  And this year the collards didn’t come up either. They usually replant themselves but they just have run out of oomph.

Meh, like the wise dcarch said, weeds don’t hurt a thing. Don’t be ashamed of all of your hard work!

i hope you are in on the mend!!!

I'm en route back. Should hit normal by midweek.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Strawberries, with non-culinary bits of color...

Strawberries06042018.png

(After days of rain the clouds parted for some early evening sun.)

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, dcarch said:

Looks like your soil is on the dry side. How do you keep everything watered? Do you have a well?

dcarch

I see a number of poles with hoses attached at the bottom... some sort of improvised rain head spray system?

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

11 hours ago, TicTac said:

But you have the Ocean!

Yup. In my case it's the Bay of Fundy, which means that on any given day in mid-summer a cold fog can roll in and take the temperature down to 12 or 15 in the blink of an eye (for you Fahrenheit types, that's in the 50s or low 60s). Our waterfront pubs keep heaters on the patio year-round. The city's tourism department, in a spirit of making a virtue of necessity, refers to Saint John as "The Air-Conditioned City."

That being said, I definitely prefer to live where there's an ocean, which is why I'm back here after stints in Alberta and Saskatchewan over the years (and probably won't ever move to Manitoba or Ontario, with no disrespect to residents of those provinces).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

16 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Yup. In my case it's the Bay of Fundy, which means that on any given day in mid-summer a cold fog can roll in and take the temperature down to 12 or 15 in the blink of an eye (for you Fahrenheit types, that's in the 50s or low 60s). Our waterfront pubs keep heaters on the patio year-round. The city's tourism department, in a spirit of making a virtue of necessity, refers to Saint John as "The Air-Conditioned City."

That being said, I definitely prefer to live where there's an ocean, which is why I'm back here after stints in Alberta and Saskatchewan over the years (and probably won't ever move to Manitoba or Ontario, with no disrespect to residents of those provinces).

Bay of Fundy is a gorgeous piece of the country.  I remember staying at a beautiful hotel right by the Bay, it was almost castle like - years ago.  I also fondly remember the best (and freshest!) scallops I have ever had. 

The Algonquin Resort, perhaps, in St. Andrew's?

I used to live a couple of blocks from there, in a cottage at the edge of the grounds of another hotel. The back bedroom, which I used as my office, looked out onto forest...deer used to graze within a few feet of my desk, a weasel used to go past regularly in search of birds and squirrels (like a sleek, animated sine wave) and once I even saw a flock of wild turkeys who apparently were unaware that New Brunswick isn't thought to be part of their territory. :P

15 hours ago, dcarch said:

Looks like your soil is on the dry side. How do you keep everything watered? Do you have a well?

dcarch

It isn’t dry :). We have sandy soil— good for farming and gardens.

yes we have a well

8 hours ago, caroled said:

I see a number of poles with hoses attached at the bottom... some sort of improvised rain head spray system?

Carol is exactly right.  Ronnie rigs up sprinklers and places them around the garden.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shelby said:

Beans and and cucumbers and two zucchini plants (we thought they were cukes lol )

How Pavlovian of me...Shelby mentions zucchini and it makes me wonder if my car doors are locked. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've never been very good at gardening, or just growing things.  If you need a plant killed, send it to me, it won't take long. xD

• Haha 1

Rule #3: Don't believe what you're told.  Double check.

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Where in the world are blueberries ripe right now? (As in, where are the ones I see in the supermarket coming from?)

If the packaging says "Product of México," they're coming from Michoacán, about 10 miles from where I live. The area has exploded with white plastic hoop house structures. I enjoy the resulting products (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries) but the white plastic really spoils the view. Corn has given way to berries around here.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 3

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The onslaught has begun

I guess perhaps it’s the only bright side to no longer owning a car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I'm not above sneaking them on your porch.

You can't read? You silly,  Anna already said she has no car. That means no Mercedes Benz, no Audi, no Porch, no nothing!

dcarch xD

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Given our climate challenges, I am only planting seeds and seedlings now.  In addition to the 36 potato hills, I've put yellow beans (Beurre De Rocquencourt), Cantare green beans, New England Sugar Pie pumpkins, Waltham butternut squash, Bush buttercup squash, Spaghetti squash, Baby Blue hubbard, Golden Hubbard, Table King acorn squash, and a little bit of non-gmo sweet corn as a border around part of the garden. I'allergic to corn, so this is for the chickens and turkeys.) 

There are carrots, beets, tomatoes, and zukes to go.Maybe some other stuff if I can find the energy to do it. 

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: