• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:46 PM, Shelby said:

Yeah, it happens.  They are different than the zukes.  I made the mistake of not tasting one a couple years ago before I roasted it and threw it into a huge batch of spaghetti sauce.  Bitter bitter bitter and the whole batch was ruined.  Made me so mad.

Well, I speak from great experience.  I have some on the vine right now that are the white/brown color and they are bitter as hell.  I just couldn't use them up in time.

Jo, listen, I don't want to deter you...maybe yours are more edible.  I would for sure test one.

This evening I picked three dozen formerly purple eggplant.  Do any of these look worth trying?

Eggplant09152017.png

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This evening I picked three dozen formerly purple eggplant.  Do any of these look worth trying?

Eggplant09152017.png

They look overripe to me - however I guess the question would be whether overripe would be a problem for something like baba ganouche where you are going to cook them until they are pooped anyway.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

They look overripe to me - however I guess the question would be whether overripe would be a problem for something like baba ganouche where you are going to cook them until they are pooped anyway.

But will they most likely be bitter?

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But will they most likely be bitter?

I'm thinking the underripe are bitter - so maybe the overripe won't be? Throw one in the microwave as a test.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

I'm thinking the underripe are bitter - so maybe the overripe won't be? Throw one in the microwave as a test.

Not everyone has a microwave.

The underripe were green and astringent but not bitter.  Maybe tomorrow I'll try one of these in the CSO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not everyone has a microwave.

The underripe were green and astringent but not bitter.  Maybe tomorrow I'll try one of these in the CSO.

Indeed - steam baked in CSO would work to poop them like the nuke

9 hours ago, Shelby said:

I'd for sure test one out.  

Did you ever see hear an eggplant explode in the CSO?

When I got home from work I set the most promising ones to steam broil while I went to take a nap.  I must say it smells delicious.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

When I got home from work I set the most promising ones to steam broil while I went to take a nap.  I must say it smells delicious.

Oh JO!  Sigh.  No, I've not had that happen...but the CSO does make a good eggplant.

I take it yours aren't bitter, so that's good :)

Bad=cleaning the CSO...but if you drag out the big chunks maybe the steam clean will take care of the rest and you can wipe it out.

56 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oops - I always stab the beast when I nuke it ( unless I forget – and then it explodes! )

51 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh JO!  Sigh.  No, I've not had that happen...but the CSO does make a good eggplant.

I take it yours aren't bitter, so that's good :)

Bad=cleaning the CSO...but if you drag out the big chunks maybe the steam clean will take care of the rest and you can wipe it out.

They are profoundly bitter.  At least the seeds.  And they seem mostly seeds.  The flesh away from the seeds is somewhat better.  After half an hour picking out little seeds I have about 3/4 cup of poop.  The poop is draining over a pan in a strainer.  I might try adding some lemon juice and tahini and see what happens.

Meanwhile the steam clean cycle is running.

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Oops - I always stab the beast when I nuke it ( unless I forget – and then it explodes! )

Kenji said not to poke it.  (Kenji was not using a CSO.)

Kerry, do you know if the bitterness is toxic?  I could pretend that it is healthful.

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Kenji said not to poke it.  (Kenji was not using a CSO.)

Kerry, do you know if the bitterness is toxic?  I could pretend that it is healthful.

Don't think the bitterness is toxic - just unpleasant. Guess you could pretend it was an amaro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

They are profoundly bitter.  At least the seeds.  And they seem mostly seeds.  The flesh away from the seeds is somewhat better.  After half an hour picking out little seeds I have about 3/4 cup of poop.  The poop is draining over a pan in a strainer.  I might try adding some lemon juice and tahini and see what happens.

Meanwhile the steam clean cycle is running.

Toss it.  Nothing will make it un-bitter. 

There is always next growing season.

I've never had occasion to try either of these methods myself, but at this point what have you got to lose? 

http://www.saveur.com/article/Techniques/Removing-the-Bitterness-from-Eggplant

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The eggplant poop became something akin to baba ganoush.  not great but eatable.

Thus with regard to purple eggplant:  "If it's white, it's not right."  "If it's brown, throw it down."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I've never had occasion to try either of these methods myself, but at this point what have you got to lose? 

http://www.saveur.com/article/Techniques/Removing-the-Bitterness-from-Eggplant

I do salt eggplant as called for but these eggplant were beyond the pale.

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Toss it.  Nothing will make it un-bitter. 

There is always next growing season.

I have plenty more purple ones on the plants!

• Like 2

Walked out to my 2 potted tomatoes this morning....2 days ago there were lots of blooms and greenies....today completely decimated by ginormous tomato worms. I pulled them out. Despite the grasshopper invasion a bit ago and now the voracious caterpillars - it was worth it to get some delicious totally tasty 'maters. No images cuz they were almost impressive, but way creepy ;)

• Sad 3

Mine were just beginning to ripen when the local raccoons stripped my vines completely. 

• Sad 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hiked through the garden today, and located 21 pie pumpkins. Those are the ones that I can actually see.  Others are hidden by weeds.  

The hubbard squash is a monster. There are 2 others around it....

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: