Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ouch you pitchforked them? What is your aging, storage process? Have not grown any since I was a little kid.

 

 

Got a passive wine cellar,  works perfect.  These will make it till Feb/March  then they sprout from the eyes and I plant those next yr

 

Yes pitch forked them.  Box left   ..the other box is pretty much un scathed .  They are also Yukon gold and I have some big ones this yr

 

Cheers B

  • Like 4

Its good to have Morels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

Why do I keep forgetting where my potato rows are.    .Stab a few more this yr..  OOOPs

 

51531345008_20a1f838ff_z.jpg

Wow, so these were just harvested?  Ours don't do well in the heat of the summer.  Are they russets?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

Wow, so these were just harvested?  Ours don't do well in the heat of the summer.  Are they russets?

 

Shelby,

 

Yes I harvested them last week end/

Yukon golds

This is always the time I harvest them, and they make it most of the winter.

I never wash them, till i use them too

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

 

Shelby,

 

Yes I harvested them last week end/

Yukon golds

This is always the time I harvest them, and they make it most of the winter.

I never wash them, till i use them too

 

 

Thanks!  I'm going to remember this.  If they work up there like that for you, then they should down here for me.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

This is more a farming thing than a gardening thing as such, but I thought some of you would find it interesting. I've seen reporting on other trials for a few years now, and it strikes me as a promising prospect.

 

https://www.wired.com/story/growing-crops-under-solar-panels-now-theres-a-bright-idea/

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I just saw this recipe from Food 52. I think I will try it and if I like it it may be the answer to the partially dried out cloves I have been discarding.  What do you do with your oldish garlic? Right before I harvest my new crop, the outermost cloves on the remaining heads in my pantry seem partially dried. Not moldy, no suspicious spots, just evenly tan and a little shriveled. I have been discarding them but perhaps this would be a good use. 

Garlic stock recipe from Food 52

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, cyalexa said:

I just saw this recipe from Food 52. I think I will try it and if I like it it may be the answer to the partially dried out cloves I have been discarding.  What do you do with your oldish garlic? Right before I harvest my new crop, the outermost cloves on the remaining heads in my pantry seem partially dried. Not moldy, no suspicious spots, just evenly tan and a little shriveled. I have been discarding them but perhaps this would be a good use. 

Garlic stock recipe from Food 52

 

That recipe looks like something I should try. I don't grow garlic myself, but I am guilty of overbuying at farmers' markets and then needing to do something with it.

  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just amazing...

"Doug the ugly New Zealand potato could be world's biggest"

Quote

...“We couldn't believe it," Donna said. “It was just huge.”

And not exactly pretty. Donna describes its appearance as more of an ugly, mutant look.

But it's quite possibly the largest potato on record. When the couple lugged it into their garage and put it on their old set of scales, it weighed in at a remarkable 7.9 kilograms (17.4 pounds). That's equal to a couple of sacks of regular potatoes, or one small dog.

 

  • Like 1

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 9:40 PM, Okanagancook said:

I peel and cut the nasty end off and then put those in foil with olive oil and roast them.  I usually purée them and freeze the paste.

 

Okanagancook for the win.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

@nonblonde007 I had a neighbor would rake all the falling leaves in autumn (well as much as we have a season) from the street and sidewalks for his compost pile heap. Also from front yards if neighbors said o.k.  We had lots of large old trees.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was late starting my indoor winter garden this year (because life in general...) but things are finally underway. I already had a ground cherry plant, a miniature tomato (ie, a dwarf cherry tomato) and a pot with basil and rosemary. I have three small windowsill planters: one seeded with buttercrunch and Lola Rosso lettuces, one with spinach, and one with both radishes and golden purslane (an impulse buy from the seed catalogue). I also have four larger pots planted: one with broccoli raab, two with mixed varieties of chard, and one with a variety of beets (Early Wonder Tall Top) that I grow every year for its greens (the actual beetroots are just a bonus).

 

I've thickly seeded the chard, beets, and raab because I harvest them (cut and come again) at the stage where they're about the size of a playing card, so I can get away with growing them close together. Ditto the radishes, which I'll thin for baby greens and then allow the roots to grow on the remaining plants.

  • Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

I was late starting my indoor winter garden this year (because life in general...) but things are finally underway. I already had a ground cherry plant, a miniature tomato (ie, a dwarf cherry tomato) and a pot with basil and rosemary. I have three small windowsill planters: one seeded with buttercrunch and Lola Rosso lettuces, one with spinach, and one with both radishes and golden purslane (an impulse buy from the seed catalogue). I also have four larger pots planted: one with broccoli raab, two with mixed varieties of chard, and one with a variety of beets (Early Wonder Tall Top) that I grow every year for its greens (the actual beetroots are just a bonus).

 

I've thickly seeded the chard, beets, and raab because I harvest them (cut and come again) at the stage where they're about the size of a playing card, so I can get away with growing them close together. Ditto the radishes, which I'll thin for baby greens and then allow the roots to grow on the remaining plants.

Are you using any grow lights?  Would love to see your setup.  Sadly - I do not have a lot of South facing windows - but I have considered using my little 2x4 grow tent to produce some....food.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My "setup" is neither elaborate nor photogenic. I have two small windowsill planters on (...wait for it...) a windowsill, with a single Sun Blaster tube positioned over them. I grew some lettuce under it last winter.

 

My other space is on top of a small buffet/sideboard sort of piece, with an inexpensive full-spectrum LED suspended over it. It's roughly 10"X13" and IIRC provides the equivalent of an old-school 1000-watt light but with much lower power consumption. They're all over Amazon under a hundred different brand names, with probably a half-dozen manufacturers turning out variations of the same design.

 

Wedged into the corner between the buffet and the door is a corner shelf, which holds the ground cherry plant. It shares the LED with the plants on the buffet, which consist of six pots (the herbs, the tomato and the remaining greens) and my third windowsill planter.

 

That's it. No tent, no reflectors, and no natural light to speak of. My office window faces roughly north, and the apartment's remaining windows face west and a bit north. They get afternoon sun for much of the year, but my office does not.

  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

My curry leaf tree hasn't been doing so well for quite a while, so I finally had time to take it out of its fabric pot and dry root it to check out the root system....  the roots look fine (no root rot), but holy crap!  Look at that root density!

 

20211218_120406_HDR.thumb.jpg.6a9c38757d431434c0d74ec85c899ddf.jpg

 

20211218_120412_HDR.thumb.jpg.3c94e7709616931d608d255e50f1e6ed.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Oh my! Needs a bit of a haircut and pull apart

Thanks.  Can you be a bit more specific?  Do you think it's a good idea to go in there with knife and/or scissors and cut out a bunch of roots?  And what do you mean by "pull apart"?  It's a single tree, not a grass or bunch of plants where the roots have grown together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...