• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

38 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Not sure why we don't do it here in the US.

dcarch

In China

I've heard of it being done in China but I heard that the flavor isn't the same as the wild ones. Wish I could try them (or know someone who has).

14 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Paul, wonderful gardens.  Lots of good eating there.  I am curious as to why you let your garlic scapes bloom.  I always understood that unless you want to propagate them that way, one should cut the scapes off so the garlic bulb gets to it's potential..not wasting energy on the bloom.

Yeah  I dont need to have them grow.. like that.  @Okanagancook

I'll probably cut a few off/  allowing the bulbs to get bigger.  But the scape is the seed pod to next yrs crop.    for me.  I have plenty of garlic for a yr, usually.

Its good to have Morels

51 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Yeah  I dont need to have them grow.. like that.  @Okanagancook

I'll probably cut a few off/  allowing the bulbs to get bigger.  But the scape is the seed pod to next yrs crop.    for me.  I have plenty of garlic for a yr, usually.

How do you store the garlic and the seeds?

"Not sure why we don't do it here in the US. "

grab 100 people off the street, put a basket of morel down in front of them and ask:

"Would you eat this?"

that's why.....

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

"Not sure why we don't do it here in the US. "

grab 100 people off the street, put a basket of morel down in front of them and ask:

"Would you eat this?"

that's why.....

true.  But the ones who know what it is are likely to pay a high price for them - in NYC, they have no problems selling at $40-$50 per pound.  I'm not saying they will replace white button mushrooms, but I definitely think there's a market here for a predictable annual supply.

Paul, I have never used the seed pods for next year...I use the bulbs.  Interesting.  Too late for this year but next year I might try a few scapes for seeding.  And I wonder how much smaller the bulbs with grown scapes really are.  Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

How do you store the garlic and the seeds?

the scapes i leave out to dry once the seed heads are ready/  dry them ( i just put them i a warm dry place, first or leave outside ) and I just keep both in my basement/ wine cellar--  it will last all year.

The scape seeds I will plant in the fall/ u can also plant cloves of garlic (  the fall )

PS--I can send some seeds if u wish ( when ready ).  This garlic is so good/  doesn't get acrid in taste.  If u even plant 10 seeds in a small plot..u will get garlic

Cheers Doc B

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 2

Its good to have Morels

I've heard storing onions in sand in a cold space for long storage is the best.

Great haul @Shelby!

Today I pulled about a dozen large zucchini flowers which will be stuffed with a ricotta/ramp mix and pan fried.

Also got the first hot (Aurora) pepper of the year.  Such a fantastic little purple powerhouse!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@Shelby, do you have a root cellar? How do you store your onions? (I would love to have some of those onions.) TIA.

I have a very dark and cold basement so I store some of the ones that look hardy down there.  The others I store in the fridge.  They last a long time that way.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Paul, I have never used the seed pods for next year...I use the bulbs.  Interesting.  Too late for this year but next year I might try a few scapes for seeding.  And I wonder how much smaller the bulbs with grown scapes really are.  Thanks.

FYI--  each mature scape seed pod/  holds about 20 seedlings seeds

• Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

Picked a dozen or so Roma tomatoes. By the end of this week, I ought to have enough for a batch of sauce.

Interesting tomato thing happening. Eight plants in the bed, four or five different varieties. One plant, and I don't remember which one it is but I think it's one of the hybrids, is having issues with blossom end rot. None of the others are having the issue (and in previous years, at previous gardens, the Romas were subject to it). Ideas? I wish I could remember which variety I planted where.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Interesting tomato thing happening. Eight plants in the bed, four or five different varieties. One plant, and I don't remember which one it is but I think it's one of the hybrids, is having issues with blossom end rot. None of the others are having the issue (and in previous years, at previous gardens, the Romas were subject to it). Ideas? I wish I could remember which variety I planted where.

BER is caused by a lack of calcium - but the reason for the lack of calcium can be quite complicated.  Some varieties are prone to BER... one thing that I found is that the root system can cause BER because the roots may not be capable of delivering enough water/nutrients to the tips of the plant, causing BER.  Professional growers will sometimes graft a known BER plant to a strong rootstock to give the plant more available nutrients/water.  Or, if the roots are prone to root rot, that will also cause a decrease in uptake.  You can do a foliar feed of a Cal/Mag product which will help BER - but some of the more recent research shows that BER actually starts as the flower transitions to fruit, although it doesn't present itself until later... so maybe spray with the Cal/Mag starting at flowering?

• Like 2

Picked enough tomatoes to go with what I'd accumulated that I figured it was time to make sauce. 

tomatoes.thumb.jpg.8387d75b9626112d5b33e022572a2942.jpg

Marcella style -- just romas, butter and onion. I'll let it simmer all day, the run it trough the food mill and can it.

ETA: The Romas are prolific this year. I should have lots of sauce.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com