• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I vote for 'matar loving aliens'.😳

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

Definitely aliens. Keep an eye on Ronnie and Chum.

😳  They might already not be themselves...like invasion of the body snatchers

1 minute ago, IowaDee said:

Looks to me as if the tomato is undergoing a round of acupuncture.  

😂

I'll ask him if he has back issues.  This could solve the mystery.

8 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Are the internal seeds in the tomato sprouted?   I've had store bought ripe tomatoes have sprouts inside of them because the seeds have decided to become new tomato plants. 

Good theory, but no, no sprouts.  I have so many tomatoes that I decided to look inside and then discard this one.  

Just in case they are alien probes.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Good theory, but no, no sprouts.  I have so many tomatoes that I decided to look inside and then discard this one.  

Just in case they are alien probes.

I googled:

and founfd?

Tomato plant hairs are actually called trichomes.

Some are long making your tomatoes look fuzzy. In the photo below, you can see the glossy strands of the long trichomes poking out all around the stem. But there are also super tiny ones that look more like little bubbles covering the surface of the tomato plant.

Not sure.. cant do much cuz I have a grey fuzzy thing on my lap  now   :)

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

I googled:

and founfd?

Tomato plant hairs are actually called trichomes.

Some are long making your tomatoes look fuzzy. In the photo below, you can see the glossy strands of the long trichomes poking out all around the stem. But there are also super tiny ones that look more like little bubbles covering the surface of the tomato plant.

Not sure.. cant do much cuz I have a grey fuzzy thing on my lap  now   :)

You sure you are not thinking about another Green plant and its sparkly little 'hairs'? ;)

Try pulling one out, Shelby.  If it comes out easily then perhaps it is a seed (the round ended piece) that got attached to the tomato...

If it seems attached, then perhaps you just have a mutant on your hands!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IowaDee said:

Hold it up close to your ear and see if it whispers "Take me to your salad".  Or "Peel me, you die".

I'm too terrified.  I feel like those thingies are probes that are going to bury into my skin.

• Haha 1

I just remembered there was a movie "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"  It came out in 1978.  Maybe your tomato has a tie in with a planned sequel?   Might be looking for people to star in it.  Shelby can be the first egullet movie star.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Dropping in to say harvest started today.  Latest ever due to flooding.

Both field corn and soybeans being done right now.

Need a good harvest.......need a good price to sell.

Won't get political but hoping for the best.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

@shelby

Has it at least been dry the last few weeks?   Hopefully those beans aren't damp still, drying costs $$$.

It's been dry for a couple of weeks.

Trust  me, I've been"fined" from the elevator for wet crops before.  I'm well aware :( 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

I get it - my guy in Kansas raised in Mochoacan gets it. Good luck!!!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

I wish there was a "fingers crossed" button...

• Thanks 1

Saw the first wagon loads of combined corn go by yesterday.  No bean activity so far.  I so agree about the prices but am very worried about them!   The line at the elevator is going to be long in a few days if the weather holds.  I agree about the politics....a mess for sure.

• Thanks 1

OK, in many areas and if you grow figs (What?!! You don't grow figs?!!), time is coming soon to have to wrap and winterize your fig trees.

My fig trees have gown to be too big and too horizontal and getting very difficult to wrap. I am reshaping the trees using jacks from my shop. Each day I give each jack a little turn so that I don't crack and break the branches. I think I should be able to get all the branches to vertical and be able to wrap them to be less than 12 inches columns.

Good winter protection means greater harvest next year. It fig ures. 9_9

dcarch

471939263_figtreebranches3.thumb.jpg.de63b86d6c0f78bad2c7fd666faee603.jpg

1126074508_figtreebranches2.thumb.jpg.e67163e0c1dc4d93cf19c8581bfb9c18.jpg

1739073227_figtreebranches.thumb.JPG.e0778b0d011db8359fe5ec8df7f4770d.JPG

• Like 4

Nice pun, @dcarch:P

Our neighbors and good friends in central California grew figs when I was little. I don't remember all those little limbs coming up from the ground; as I recall each tree had one main trunk from which limbs spread at a height of a few feet. Do you suppose they pruned those trees to get a single trunk? If so, why don't you? If not, do you think you're growing a different variety? (I can't ask those friends about the variety; the trees and those particular ranchers are all gone.)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I thought I killed a fig tree off by over-watering but it is sprouting new leaves this spring. I have another in a pot that should go in the ground but it apparently grows huge so I want to figure out how to keep it root-bound and I don't have a good spot for it.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

i grew up , in CA , w fig trees.  indeed they were , well, standard tree like structures.

Tree form for fig trees in my zone 6 area will not work. It's impossible to wrap a tall tree for winter protection. All the branches will die off.

That's why it's better in cold zones  to train fig trees to grow into bush form. 

What I am doing is to force the thick base branches much tighter so I can provide better insulation. It seams to be working well.

dcarch

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2