• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

I'm sorry to report that Lake Shelby is here for the third time this summer.

IMG_6486.JPG.3ee594c3d818b103ac241855a7b08d7f.JPG

Said by our farmer right before planting our corn for the third time:  "It can't flood three times in one summer"

Oh yes, indeed, it can.

• Sad 11

Over the course of the month, despite the aftermath of moving, I've managed to catch enough windows of passable weather to finally get my garden in. The last things went in just yesterday, which is very late indeed even by local standards. I went with store-bought transplants for the longer-season items (tomatoes, cukes, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc) and direct-seeded my usual overload of greens (kale, collards, chard, beets - I count those as greens, primarily - spinach, lettuces, etc).

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

First zucchini!  

IMG_6499.jpg.0913cf73c4566ac8e3b3469d6c75a679.jpg

We are going to have a lot of potatoes.  This was only 3 plants.  We have about a billion more lol.

Looks great, Shelby.

Do you harvest garlic at various stages of Spring development, or just when bulbs are large?

I experimented this year with a few zucchini plants in large pales - we have had tons of zucchini flowers and at least a dozen baby zucchini (we like them small, though I do leave some to get as large as the above).  Apparently the heat containment from the pale has made the zucc's very happy girls.

The ones in the ground are doing equally well, though not as early of producers, far larger and they are producing at least 4-6 flowers (I hope you eat those, Shelby!) on a daily basis.

Garlic Scapes are up, as are the snap peas.  It is an exciting time for us lovers 'o food!

I am missing having a garden this year. However, a month of seeing how the sun falls (I have a good many trees) has schooled me on where it needs to go. Will get raised beds put in this fall, treat them well with horse manure, and have them ready to go next spring. I'm also on the lookout for someone's discarded patio glass doors, to make the tops for some cold frames.

Flower beds to each side of the back steps will serve nicely for herbs. Having learned my lesson the hard way, there is a large iron kettle in which the mint will live, so's not to overrun everything else. 

I have a loaded down apple tree in my back yard, and two pecan trees in the front. One tree has lots of baby pecans; the other, none. What's that all about? This is my first venture into pecan trees.

Will be planting a fig tree and a pear tree this fall. Won't get much, if any, fruit for a couple of years, but I'm thinking ahead. Oh, and there will be an asparagus bed.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/29/2019 at 10:43 AM, TicTac said:

Looks great, Shelby.

Do you harvest garlic at various stages of Spring development, or just when bulbs are large?

I experimented this year with a few zucchini plants in large pales - we have had tons of zucchini flowers and at least a dozen baby zucchini (we like them small, though I do leave some to get as large as the above).  Apparently the heat containment from the pale has made the zucc's very happy girls.

The ones in the ground are doing equally well, though not as early of producers, far larger and they are producing at least 4-6 flowers (I hope you eat those, Shelby!) on a daily basis.

Garlic Scapes are up, as are the snap peas.  It is an exciting time for us lovers 'o food!

Hi!  Thank you!

Although I do have some garlic planted--I've never harvested it and it grows up every spring.  Heaven knows what it looks like underground lol--anyway, those are onions.

Nice that your zukes are doing so well!  It is an exciting time :) 

19 hours ago, kayb said:

I am missing having a garden this year. However, a month of seeing how the sun falls (I have a good many trees) has schooled me on where it needs to go. Will get raised beds put in this fall, treat them well with horse manure, and have them ready to go next spring. I'm also on the lookout for someone's discarded patio glass doors, to make the tops for some cold frames.

Flower beds to each side of the back steps will serve nicely for herbs. Having learned my lesson the hard way, there is a large iron kettle in which the mint will live, so's not to overrun everything else. 

I have a loaded down apple tree in my back yard, and two pecan trees in the front. One tree has lots of baby pecans; the other, none. What's that all about? This is my first venture into pecan trees.

Will be planting a fig tree and a pear tree this fall. Won't get much, if any, fruit for a couple of years, but I'm thinking ahead. Oh, and there will be an asparagus bed.

Kay, I know you're missing it, but it won't be long before next spring!!  Very jealous of your apple and pecan trees!

14 hours ago, dcarch said:

Here they come! 

4 other plants also have chokes coming.

The other 4 shouldn't be far behind.

dcarch

799586608_artichoke2019c.thumb.JPG.e1a654dbcd42fa553b72e8d6f1c36e08.JPG

Artichoke envy.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kayb said:

OHHHHHH.... fig tree!!!!!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Didn't get to much in to the vegetable garden but enjoyed some lettuce, peas, and radishes (not pictured) before the weather go too hot. Hopefully I'll do better with the fall crop.

IMG_5630-pickage.jpg.c71d1b1c58a24ce93e4bc1db9d667acc.jpg

• Like 3

My first harvest from my (newly planted) garden consisted of a couple of green onions that had been missed last autumn and over-wintered successfully, my garlic scapes, and a large bag of "volunteer" greens (specifically, in this case, dandelions and wild sorrel). The dandelions were added to a "mess o' greens" which otherwise came from the supermarket, and the sorrel plus green onions plus a few scapes plus some chicken broth became a small pot of soup at lunch today.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

If you garden, organic or non-organic, you will need to spray. Do you find it fun to have to spray?

Most of the sprayers you buy only work for a couple of seasons. 

On a hot humid summer day, pump pump pump pump --- take a shower, change underwear, more pump pump pump again ----more showers ------ more pump pump pump.

I can't believe  everything in our life is so advanced and we are still gardening with 100 year old technology.

So I bought a $17.00 12v pump, and a $5.00 old MacBook rechargeable battery, changed the "plumbing" of a defective sprayer.

Awesome! this simple electric sprayer can get a much better spraying  job done in one fifth the time and without the sweating.

They do sell motorized sprayers, but they are expensive, not reliable, and too big.

I highly recommend making one yourself. Really worth it.  It is not impossible to hookup an electric pump with a battery and a switch.

dcarch

sprayer.thumb.JPG.f275536a5ffb356c606e51776783dfc3.JPG

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dcarch said:

If you garden, organic or non-organic, you will need to spray. Do you find it fun to have to spray?

On a hot humid summer day, pump pump pump pump --- take a shower, change underwear, more pump pump pump again ----more showers ------ more pump pump pump.

I can't believe  everything in our life is so advanced and we are still gardening with 100 year old technology.

So I bought a $17.00 12v pump, and a $5.00 old MacBook rechargeable battery, changed the "plumbing" of a defective sprayer.

Awesome! this simple electric sprayer can get a much better spraying  job done in one fifth the time and without the sweating.

They do sell motorized sprayers, but they are expensive, not reliable, and too big.

I highly recommend making one yourself. Really worth it.  It is not impossible to hookup an electric pump with a battery and a switch.

dcarch

Looks like a bomb. ATF may come knocking. 

But  great idea. I despise all sprayers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Looks like a bomb. ATF may come knocking. 

But  great idea. I despise all sprayers. 

Yes it can be a bomb, if you use an air pump without a pressure regulator.

This is a self-priming water pump. No pressure buildup.

dcarch

• Like 3

Meanwhile, the petunias are going nicely in my Manhattan Containers.  

IMG_0547.JPG.24cf404624784b28a7aaf1d7306ca16d.JPG

Speaking of okra -- did I mention that my Mississippi cousin suggested that I plant okra in my windowboxes once, after I complained about how ungodly high the okra is around here when it finally is available?  I wonder what my building would make of me planting food in my windowboxes . . . .

ETA:  Please ignore the frayed condition of the windowsill.  As you can probably guess, I tend to leave the windows open (to varying extents), no matter the weather.

Edited again:  I just discovered that there is a whole separate thread devoted to flower gardens.  Sorry!

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, dcarch said:

dcarch

No spraying of any sort goes on in my garden besides that of my water hose!

Full till organic soil.

1 hour ago, SLB said:

Meanwhile, the petunias are going nicely in my Manhattan Containers.  

IMG_0547.JPG.24cf404624784b28a7aaf1d7306ca16d.JPG

Speaking of okra -- did I mention that my Mississippi cousin suggested that I plant okra in my windowboxes once, after I complained about how ungodly high the okra is around here when it finally is available?  I wonder what my building would make of me planting food in my windowboxes . . . .

ETA:  Please ignore the frayed condition of the windowsill.  As you can probably guess, I tend to leave the windows open (to varying extents), no matter the weather.

Edited again:  I just discovered that there is a whole separate thread devoted to flower gardens.  Sorry!

When I had more time, I've grown a decent amount of food in my Manhattan apt... Why should your building care?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Do you like Royal Corona beans? Not cheap. 

I am growing them. Seems to be doing very well. I will have a good supply this year. 

dcarch

1953736985_coronabeans.thumb.JPG.4e61e6fd13ad77f1545a08bcc318ebef.JPG945204069_coronabeans3.thumb.JPG.3bacaf87500b64a05a41181e0a78df25.JPG

1466995983_coronabeans2.thumb.jpg.88345fc6d93664933ce4593e3047f01b.jpg

Yes  Love those beans!!

Can you just plant..  those from Rancho Gordo?

Its good to have Morels

On 7/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, Shelby said:

A rather meager pick this morning.  What exactly does a person do with just one okra 🙃

IMG_6546.jpg.64709d1972a52746f6d566224165b8c1.jpg

The same as with many okra

nothing

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, Shelby said:

A rather meager pick this morning.  What exactly does a person do with just one okra 🙃

IMG_6546.jpg.64709d1972a52746f6d566224165b8c1.jpg

I keep picturing the old Bugs Bunny cartoon where he's in the fancy restaurant eating a lone carrot on a plate with a fork and knife...

• Haha 1