• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Gardening: (2016– )

14 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Hey schmuck, I am trying to  out schmuck you, and out cheap you !!! :D 

My goal is first to gain two to three  more months of vegetables from the garden, then hopefully year round supply and not having to go to supermarkets.

Not easy in zone 6, but doable. 

Yeah it's my New Green Deal:B

dcarch

Zone 5 here.

I used to have the set-up to easily do that with spinach and several other cool season veg à la Eliot Coleman's The Winter Harvest Handbook: Year Round Vegetable Production Using Deep-Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses and Niki Jabbour's The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year, No Matter Where You Live.

But not at this location, not yet anyway.

Hopefully in the not too distant future, if I'm physically able.

This is actually a better location than where I previously lived and gardened—much better!

~Martin :)

"Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse, curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!"

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it! 

11 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I'm a dirt poor schmuck who uses lowly $10 (when on sale) fluorescent shop-lights when I do give seedlings a little head-start inside—and I'm proud of it!!! xD

I move my precious little babies as close to the shop lights as possible—even touching a bit is fine. wub.gif

I call it bulb-kissed! xD

Use nice new, or fairly new, bulbs—cheap!

Has always worked great for me over the past 45+ years. shades.gif

There's nothing bad about using fluorescent shop lights for seed starting - it's actually very common.  Large growers have switched to LEDs for this just because it saves a ton of $ on energy usage, but the upfront cost is pretty high.   Before I switched to LED, I used a cheap CFL for seed starting and cloning... it worked great.  In fact, fluorescents are good for it because they put out a good amount of blue light and not as much red which helps keep plants from getting leggy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

There's nothing bad about using fluorescent shop lights for seed starting - it's actually very common.

Yep!

I don't want folks to think that they need to spend a lot of money and effort to get started.

• Like 1

"Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse, curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!"

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it! 

15 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yep!

I don't want folks to think that they need to spend a lot of money and effort to get started.

I know what you're saying... you can actually get started for very little $$$... it doesn't take that much to keep plants happy.

For me personally, I've been doing experiments in growing high value crops indoors as a business.. I have some extra warehouse space, and I enjoy doing this stuff, so I figured it would be a good fit.  But growing for $ vs growing for yourself is very different, at least if you want to be profitable.  To get there, it's all about optimization, getting the best tasting, highest yields out of the least amount of resources.

13 minutes ago, KennethT said:

But growing for $ vs growing for yourself is very different, at least if you want to be profitable. To get there, it's all about optimization, getting the best tasting, highest yields out of the least amount of resources.

Been there, done that—for several years.

I grew up in agriculture and pretty much destroyed myself in agriculture—wore out, too many long hours, too much hard work, all for a pittance!

It can be a horrible way to live.

People who haven't done it haven't a clue what it's really like!

I loved what I was doing, but destroying myself in the process was pretty stupid (farmers do it all the time)—but the work had/has to be done.

Linda Chalker-Scott Debunks Horticultural Myths =Link=

I have both of her horticultural myth books:

The Informed Gardener and The Informed Gardener Blooms Again

Excellent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2019 at 11:46 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Seed orders...

I'll be ordering from a few different vendors this year.

I think I have the Fedco Seeds order nearly complete.

204PR Provider Bush Green Bean

3866 Matchbox Hot Pepper—I love this little pepper! :)

3099 Sea Kale Perennial  (If Available) An amazing plant!
1239LO Little Leaf H-19 Pickling Cucumber
1243MG Mexican Sour Gherkin Specialty Cucumber
318SR Scarlet Runner Pole Bean
798LG Gard-N Combination Legume Inoculant
2301AR Arat Root Parsley
2590CM Caucasian Mountain Perennial Spinach (Hablitzia Tamnoides) I wish they wouldn't call it 'spinach!' GRRRrrr!!! :angry:
3034PS Perpetual Spinach Chard (Leaf Beet) Also NOT a spinach!
3096KH Good King Henry (If Available)
4225 Mountain Magic Small-Fruited Tomato (Maybe—a BIG maybe!)

$30 and above orders ship free.

What are you ordering this year?

In the end, here's what I ordered from Fedco:

204A - Provider Bush Green Beans (2oz) 1 x $1.90 = $1.90
318A - Scarlet Runner Pole Beans (1oz) 1 x $2.10 = $2.10
792A - Alderman Shell Peas (2oz) 1 x $1.80 = $1.80
798A - Gard-N Garden Combination Inoculant Legume Inoculant (treats 8lb) 1 x $6.00 = $6.00
1239A - Little Leaf H-19 OG Pickling Cucumbers (1g) 1 x $2.00 = $2.00
1243A - Mexican Sour Gherkin Specialty Cucumbers (0.2g) 1 x $2.50 = $2.50
2439A - Evergreen Hardy White Scallions (1/16oz) 1 x $1.70 = $1.70
2590A - Caucasian Mountain Spinach ECO Perennial Greens (0.1g) 1 x $2.70 = $2.70
3050A - Claytonia Specialty Greens (0.5g) 1 x $2.20 = $2.20
3096A - Good King Henry Perennial Greens (0.5g) 1 x $2.10 = $2.10
3099B - Sea Kale Perennial Greens (2g) 1 x $4.60 = $4.60
3182A - Golden Purslane OG Specialty Greens (0.5g) 1 x $2.10 = $2.10
3195A - Turkish Rocket ECO Perennial Greens (1g) 1 x $3.60 = $3.60
3831A - Jaluv An Attitude OG Hot Peppers (0.2g) 1 x $2.20 = $2.20
3866B - Matchbox OG Hot Peppers (0.4g) 1 x $4.00 = $4.00
4585A - Lavender OG Lavender (0.2g) 1 x $1.80 = $1.80
5282C - Empress of India Nasturtiums (27g) 1 x $5.00 = $5.00

• Like 3

Probably not planting anything this year; we're going to be (hopefully) moving in the spring, so unless it's early enough I can plant after we move, no gardening. Once we move, top priorities will be to establish beds for tomatoes, asparagus and herbs. Beyond that, we shall see.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Most of my English peas are not doing well.  The leaves at the bottom of the plants start to turn brown until the whole plant dies.  All I can think of is that it may be too warm.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Most of my English peas are not doing well.  The leaves at the bottom of the plants start to turn brown until the whole plant dies.  All I can think of is that it may be too warm.

Thoughts?

Can you post any pictures?

FWIW.

This year's Adaptive Seeds order: 

Fava Bean, Aprovecho Select (Organic) 2 oz ≈ 30 seeds, 3 packets for $11.40
Lettuce, Little Gem Pearl Romaine (Organic) 1/2 g packet ≈ 300 seeds $3.50
Green Onions, White Spear, Perennial (Organic) 2 g packet ≈ 400 seeds $6.50
Hot Pepper, Korean Kimchi (Organic), 1 g ≈ 100 seeds $6.80
Sweet Pepper, Stocky Red Roaster (Organic) Packet ≈ 30 seeds $3.80
Ground Cherry, Otto's Brush Creek (Organic) Packet ≈ 50 seeds $3.50
Tomato, Sweet Cherriette (Organic) Packet ≈ 30 seeds $3.50
Barley, Purple Valley, Hulless (Organic) 4 oz $5.50
Millet, Hells Canyon (Organic) 4 g ≈ 1,200 seeds $3.50
Napa Cabbage, Nozaki Early (Organic) 1 g ≈ 250 seeds

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Peas03192019.png

Ignore the dates, these were replanted.

Did they have enough water? The older growth is completely desiccated and the newer growth on the left has some major nutrient deficiencies, which could either come from lack of water, or rotted roots (if the soil was consistently too wet).

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Peas03192019.png

Ignore the dates, these were replanted.

What's the indoor temperature?

Peas like around 70F for growing. Yours look like mine in the summer.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dcarch said:

dcarch

That's a good point.  It can often be a LOT hotter in a sunny southern facing windowsill than in the rest of the room...

Hard to look at. Not happy at all at all. Sometimes you just have to let it go. I am in the minority but I think that is a too tiny substrate for peas. 

• Like 1

@heidih I agree that it's very little substrate for either peas or tomatoes - unless the plants are an ultra-dwarf variety.  With hydroponics, your substrate size can be significantly smaller than in dirt - but it seems like that Click'n'Grow (or whatever it's called) is growing in dirt, but is kept watered through a wicking system - which isn't hydroponics.

Yes, that definitely looks like heat/solar stress.

If you can get your hands on some Wando Dwarf Shelling (English) Pea seed—it's a cultivar that's much more tolerant of heat than other pea cultivars.

Looks like Burpee even sells it. https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peas/pea-wando-prod001145.html

FWIW,

The new agrarian, utilitarian, contrarian "experimental" organic micro-farmden logo...

What do you think?

DiggingDogFarm2.png

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dcarch said:

dcarch

Yes, that's why I thought the problem might be heat stress.  It gotten as high as 81F in here.  The peas I'm growing are Kelvedon Wonder.

On a related note a different pea seedling has been consumed with white fungus.  Should I rinse everything down with bleach?  I don't think I'll assay any more peas indoors as It's close to time for planting outdoors on the balcony.

16 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

FWIW,

The new agrarian, utilitarian, contrarian "experimental" organic micro-farmden logo...

What do you think?

DiggingDogFarm2.png

It'd look great on a T-shirt!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:15 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thoughts?

Yeah, I tried for several years to grow peas in Memphis. By the time the ground warms up, the ambient temp is too high. I'm sorry you aren't able to grow peas, and I would love to hear from anyone who can grow peas. What does it take?

We all want to know!

> ^ . . ^ <

I love the new logo, but I can't overcome the urge to want to color it!  Pass the crayons please.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A "chin-up" for those of you who may feel discouraged when your plants do not look like the picture perfect ones at the garden ceneter - the reality

mag.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 8:45 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Yeah, I tried for several years to grow peas in Memphis. By the time the ground warms up, the ambient temp is too high. I'm sorry you aren't able to grow peas, and I would love to hear from anyone who can grow peas. What does it take?

We all want to know!

Thought I had posted this previously, but don't see it. Forgive me if I have.

Plant early. No later than first day of spring. You'll be eating peas by early May, and they'll be gone by early June. Short season, but oh, so good!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.