• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

The yearly harvest where I willingly drive myself crazy.   First batch of the lowest hanging fruit done.

Do you use that big press for juicing them? 

So yes, those are pomegranates. 

I have a 20+ year old bush that is 20+ feet tall.   

The purple bucket contains the empty-ish husks of the fruit.   I use the "beat on the drum" method to deseed.   This method gets +90% of the seeds out of the rind and that's good enough for me.   I am dehydrating the seeds from about 30-40 poms in my Excalibur as I write this.    That's a new preservation technique for me with pomegranates.  I put the husks out for the birds to get the remaining pips to make sure the most is made of the fruit.

I do have a massive lever juicer for the poms, I'll probably juice a good portion of the remaining fruit.

I still have a jar of pomegranate molasses from a previous harvest so I am probably not doing more molasses.

I probably could make another bottle of pomegranate/prickly pear grenadine now that I am thinking about it.   

If I get desperate I will make pomegranate jelly to use up the juice if I run out of room in the freezer.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

are those those

pomegranates ?

do you have a tree ?

a pic ?

Pics of the the unruly Pom bush.  After harvest and the birds are done (see the pic with the split open fruit the birds have stripped clean) with their portions, it will go dormant.  Then it will get a severe pruning.  It is intertwined with an equally unruly lemon tree, a monster honeysuckle vine and a seedless grape vine.   Some of the Poms are huge this year.   

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, lemniscate said:

Pics of the the unruly Pom bush.  After harvest and the birds are done (see the pic with the split open fruit the birds have stripped clean) with their portions, it will go dormant.  Then it will get a severe pruning.  It is intertwined with an equally unruly lemon tree, a monster honeysuckle vine and a seedless grape vine.   Some of the Poms are huge this year.   

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

Yoy are so lucky not to have the night critters take all of them- my usual...

• 2 weeks later...