• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

On 7/8/2022 at 10:02 AM, Shelby said:

Getting some nice baskets full of gardenage.

Gorgeous gardenage. We are still just shy of an explosion of produce. Only bounty is summer squash. And rhubarb. Herbs. Salads and greens are just ready to harvest here and there. 

Just ordered 4 blueberries and a finger lime tree. HERE

I have 5 big productive blueberry bushes put in years ago but time to add some more. 

• Like 1

I need more garlic. I roast whole heads in sheet pans and freeze for a Fall soup we like. 
A rif on garlic soup Bayona in NewOrleans. Susan is an old friend long ago. Roasted garlic, leek, celery, a tiny potato cubed for thickening---no cream. (I like mine better)😜

Garlic in my climate is so easy. No critters, nothing touches it. Getting these beds outside the deer fenced interior. A bed behind the rhubarb. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 1.49.10 PM.png

• Like 6

On 7/11/2022 at 5:08 PM, heidih said:

@Annie_H when you roast whole heads are they "as is" and temp? or do you cut tops off and drizzle with oil?  Nice you can grow your own plentiful bounty

Just now saw this request. I roast whole heads and do cut the top stem ends, not the root ends. Place on sheet trays cut side down. Roast low and slow 325ºF. When I roast a head with a tray of mixed veg I want garlic 'butter'. 

For freezing I want easy pop out cloves after a low and slow roast. 

Just delivered--- my blueberry bushes and a finger lime tree. So well packed I should have done an un-boxing. Beauty tree. Same place I ordered my Meyer lemon 5-6 years ago that is thriving and kept 5-6 feet with some pruning. Sunny window winter months. Plenty of room for a lime tree. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Just delivered--- my blueberry bushes and a finger lime tree. So well packed I should have done an un-boxing. Beauty tree. Same place I ordered my Meyer lemon 5-6 years ago that is thriving and kept 5-6 feet with some pruning. Sunny window winter months. Plenty of room for a lime tree. 

Who did you get the finger lime and Meyer lemon trees from?  What do you do with finger limes?  I don't know if I've ever had one.

9 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I posted the link further up...finger lime

I had planned on ordering a key lime but this is a new item for them. Gorgeous little upright tree. 

Yes, I have seen finger limes but I don't know what I would do with a lot of them.

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Yes, I have seen finger limes but I don't know what I would do with a lot of them.

My Meyer lemon is 6-7 yrs old. I get 6-20 every year. First few years 3-4. Then remembered to hand pollinate. I just think of them as beautiful houseplants that give back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

My Meyer lemon is 6-7 yrs old. I get 6-20 every year. First few years 3-4. Then remembered to hand pollinate. I just think of them as beautiful houseplants that give back. 

What do you plan to do with the finger limes? The only thing I can think of is fancy lime garnish.  But I feel the way you do about the flowers on my Kaffir lime tree.

On 7/16/2022 at 1:30 PM, KennethT said:

What do you plan to do with the finger limes? The only thing I can think of is fancy lime garnish.  But I feel the way you do about the flowers on my Kaffir lime tree.

Think Thai pomello salad but with finger limes - added to salads, salsas, guac...lots of interesting potentials.

• Thanks 1

Yes, anyplace where I would use a lime. Unexpected is the tiny leaf shape. It will Winter live next to the Meyer in the kitchen. 

Nice thing about the Meyer lemon is it starts slowly ripening around Thanksgiving. Then rapidly mid February. Some were green forever. This past season the count was around 22. A couple into the freezer whole. Half a dozen I preserved. Wedged to go into seltzer for the week, a salad dressing, etc. 

It will just add to the kitchen greenery. When outside is gray, cold, and snowing. 

meyer lemon loaded.jpeg

• Like 5

@Shelby, how is your garden coping with the heat? I guess some things might thrive, but others...? 

Not to mention, how are YOU coping with the heat? I hope your A/C is working well.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Shelby, how is your garden coping with the heat? I guess some things might thrive, but others...? 

Not to mention, how are YOU coping with the heat? I hope your A/C is working well.  🙂

It's ...needing a lot of water.  So far things are ok.  Just today I noted that the cucumber plants have slowed waaaaaay down.  The tomatoes seem to be hanging in there.  We aren't getting a ton yet....I hope that happens soon.  There are quite a few green ones on but they aren't very big.  Corn is ready--all at once of course lol.  Cilantro has bolted and dried up as has the dill.  I envy those folks that can keep that going all summer long.  It has been soooooo hot and it's not stopping any time soon.  Tomorrow is forecast to be 107F and it's 100 or over until at least a week from now.  Yay. lol.

We are getting up literally at first light and going out to get things done.  By 8 it's already scorching not to mention the humidity.  I no likey.

Thanks for asking.  So far the AC is holding up.  'Bout fainted at the electric bill today, though lol.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

It's gotten hot in northern Minnesota too, by our standards, but nothing like what's happening farther south. And there's been rain, rain and more rain. I'm not complaining, but the upshot is that what passes for our garden is later than usual.

I do container gardening, basically. I dislike weeding, so there are 6 pots of assorted tomato plants and one of Italian salad greens from a seed packet I found earlier this year. Three of the tomatoes, and the greens, are in this photo. Behind it is our pond, with tall weeds awaiting our weed whip. Or a scythe!

20220718_181545.jpg

If you look carefully you can see a few tomatoes in the bottom row of closeup pictures. So far we've collected one paste tomato - quite good - but we're still waiting for the rest. The salad greens are very productive, with a good strong flavor.

Oh, I have herbs planted in pots too: dill, parsley, basil, cilantro. The mint has taken over the flower bed, and I've let it.

• Like 10

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I’m slowly being converted to ‘container’ gardening as well (no matter if your container is 1 litre or 100!) 

Part of my goal in working with these fabric pots was to create an organic living soil.  Things are coming along nicelyA07C5FDB-D11F-4E58-9794-56924892DB9D.thumb.jpeg.9604c4f6d35052f1c5bf5addbb84372f.jpeg and I was psyched to see this sight today…

097706D4-7222-4F5B-B3E4-E937B3C0957B.thumb.jpeg.aa0d53886e2f17e460be9b003ecd016c.jpeg
first time in many years my curry leaf is flowering A6786640-8F62-4C96-8069-0AE59BABD912.thumb.jpeg.aa1b5f3bf7ade2ed93e8c775e9cef072.jpeg

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I’m slowly being converted to ‘container’ gardening as well (no matter if your container is 1 litre or 100!) 

Part of my goal in working with these fabric pots was to create an organic living soil.  Things are coming along nicelyA07C5FDB-D11F-4E58-9794-56924892DB9D.thumb.jpeg.9604c4f6d35052f1c5bf5addbb84372f.jpeg and I was psyched to see this sight today…

097706D4-7222-4F5B-B3E4-E937B3C0957B.thumb.jpeg.aa0d53886e2f17e460be9b003ecd016c.jpeg
first time in many years my curry leaf is flowering A6786640-8F62-4C96-8069-0AE59BABD912.thumb.jpeg.aa1b5f3bf7ade2ed93e8c775e9cef072.jpeg

Do you do anything with the flowers/seeds?

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

I had converted to large fabric containers for gardening.  Then my landlord made me remove all plants from my deck.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, KennethT said:

Do you do anything with the flowers/seeds?

I tried eating one, it was pleasant enough with a mild curry flavour and underlying sweet tones.  I bet they would be a nice salad garnish. 

Will save seeds and experiment with them later :)

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had converted to large fabric containers for gardening.  Then my landlord made me remove all plants from my deck.

Sorry to hear that.  What was the purported logic behind that genius decision?

These ones work well and as they are made from 100% BPA free recycled water bottles.  Very thick (I have used a few types) and great drainage.   In my eyes, far superior to other alternatives and supporting this type of initiative moves the proverbial needle that much further to try and support our worsening ecosystems.

• Like 1

for @KennethT Thought of you when I read this morning. Vertical farming in a New Jersey warehouse, and using bees as best pollinators Nott that I expect a hive in your apartment ;) May be behind paywall  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/07/25/selling-omakase-strawberries-for-the-price-of-a-full-meal

Their site  https://oishii.com/

Edited by heidih (log)

24 minutes ago, heidih said:

for @KennethT Thought of you when I read this morning. Vertical farming in a New Jersey warehouse, and using bees as best pollinators Nott that I expect a hive in your apartment ;) May be behind paywall  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/07/25/selling-omakase-strawberries-for-the-price-of-a-full-meal

Their site  https://oishii.com/

I've seen those oishii berries - never tried them though.  Lots of tomato/cucumber greenhouses uses bee hives - manual pollination doesn't work for large scale growing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I've seen those oishii berries - never tried them though.  Lots of tomato/cucumber greenhouses uses bee hives - manual pollination doesn't work for large scale growing.

Respect they deserve and do not always get

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Sorry to hear that.  What was the purported logic behind that genius decision?

She's the landlord.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou