• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Gardening: (2016– )

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

Question for @dcarch (saw him doing it) and others who use this method - I would think that after using a seedling tray (36) the next step might be some plastic cups (perhaps their final place of rest prior to being put outside).  Are you putting any material at the bottom to provide some drainage, or all soil?

My method is very simple.

Cheap soft drink plastic cups. I use a soldering iron to burn a few hole on the bottom and fill the cups with fine potting soil. Seems to drain very well.

dcarch

• Like 3

On Saturday I went to my Dad's place down in Pennsylvania, about 19 miles away, and got some wild cattails and wild daylilies.

It seemed like a wonderful idea until I had to dig the holes for the 5 gallon "bog" pails that I made. LOL shock2.gif

I surrounded the cattails with the daylilies in the pails

• Like 4

Just took a walk around the gardens.  

Asparagus is up!  Be ready to eat in a few days.  I can't wait.

IMG_6129.JPG.1ad0ef7c4553bbebade6cec529497967.JPG

Also up are some potatoes and many many onions.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

So jealous about the asparagus.  I think our farm asparagus from up the valley will be another couple of weeks seeing it has been so darn cool.   BUT, I did see the first humming bird visiting our feeders...need to make new feeding liquid for them.

Due to the cool temps, my little arugula plants are the same size as they were two weeks ago.  Peas are poking up.

• Like 4

Seeds sown tonight...256 chile pepper and 962 Mary Washington asparagus.

Seeds in the fridge stratifying...Good King Henry (Blitum Bonus-Henricus) and Caucasian "Spinach" (Hablitzia Tamnoides)

• Like 2

On 4/8/2019 at 8:45 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If I wanted to safely sanitize the soil capsules for my Click & Grow, is there a way to do it?

How hot do you think you could they could stand?

Pressure cooker = autoclave = sterilizer..could they take that?

If not you could sous vide them at 180F for a day..

On 4/16/2019 at 10:29 AM, Shelby said:

Just took a walk around the gardens.  

Asparagus is up!  Be ready to eat in a few days.  I can't wait.

IMG_6129.JPG.1ad0ef7c4553bbebade6cec529497967.JPG

Also up are some potatoes and many many onions.

What I have done.

I use a large sheet of  clear greenhouse plastic to cover the asparagus plot early in the spring. The sun warms up the soil, and I can get two to three weeks earlier asparagus.

dcarch

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

How hot do you think you could they could stand?

Pressure cooker = autoclave = sterilizer..could they take that?

If not you could sous vide them at 180F for a day..

I was thinking of the CSO.

• Like 1

About the Mary Washington asparagus seed from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company:

The recommendation was to soak the seeds for 24 hours.

Many seeds have germinated in less than one day.

About the sugar beet seed from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company:

I very recently received a letter from them.

"We regret to inform you that the lot of seed you purchased tested positive for GMO contamination."

The cost of the seeds was $3.00 for ~250 seeds....there were actually many more.

They did issue me a $5.00 gift card....but that's not much of a consolation considering the amount of time and effort invested (I sowed the seeds one at a time.) 

The seedlings are now about an inch tall.