• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Peas03192019.png

Ignore the dates, these were replanted.

What's the indoor temperature?

Peas like around 70F for growing. Yours look like mine in the summer.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dcarch said:

dcarch

That's a good point.  It can often be a LOT hotter in a sunny southern facing windowsill than in the rest of the room...

Hard to look at. Not happy at all at all. Sometimes you just have to let it go. I am in the minority but I think that is a too tiny substrate for peas. 

• Like 1

@heidih I agree that it's very little substrate for either peas or tomatoes - unless the plants are an ultra-dwarf variety.  With hydroponics, your substrate size can be significantly smaller than in dirt - but it seems like that Click'n'Grow (or whatever it's called) is growing in dirt, but is kept watered through a wicking system - which isn't hydroponics.

Yes, that definitely looks like heat/solar stress.

If you can get your hands on some Wando Dwarf Shelling (English) Pea seed—it's a cultivar that's much more tolerant of heat than other pea cultivars.

Looks like Burpee even sells it. https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peas/pea-wando-prod001145.html

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

FWIW,

The new agrarian, utilitarian, contrarian "experimental" organic micro-farmden logo...

What do you think?

DiggingDogFarm2.png

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

10 hours ago, dcarch said:

dcarch

Yes, that's why I thought the problem might be heat stress.  It gotten as high as 81F in here.  The peas I'm growing are Kelvedon Wonder.

On a related note a different pea seedling has been consumed with white fungus.  Should I rinse everything down with bleach?  I don't think I'll assay any more peas indoors as It's close to time for planting outdoors on the balcony.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

FWIW,

The new agrarian, utilitarian, contrarian "experimental" organic micro-farmden logo...

What do you think?

DiggingDogFarm2.png

It'd look great on a T-shirt!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 3/19/2019 at 12:15 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Most of my English peas are not doing well.  The leaves at the bottom of the plants start to turn brown until the whole plant dies.  All I can think of is that it may be too warm.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I tried for several years to grow peas in Memphis. By the time the ground warms up, the ambient temp is too high. I'm sorry you aren't able to grow peas, and I would love to hear from anyone who can grow peas. What does it take?

We all want to know!

> ^ . . ^ <

A "chin-up" for those of you who may feel discouraged when your plants do not look like the picture perfect ones at the garden ceneter - the reality

mag.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 8:45 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Yeah, I tried for several years to grow peas in Memphis. By the time the ground warms up, the ambient temp is too high. I'm sorry you aren't able to grow peas, and I would love to hear from anyone who can grow peas. What does it take?

We all want to know!

Thought I had posted this previously, but don't see it. Forgive me if I have.

Plant early. No later than first day of spring. You'll be eating peas by early May, and they'll be gone by early June. Short season, but oh, so good!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

These green things seem happy with my DIY LED lights.

Look forward to BLTs on Memorial Day. :B

dcarch

It's a jungle!

1621639710_tomatoforest.thumb.jpg.6473c6dd22b559300d4f3a32f6633b8b.jpg

Most Almost all have blossoms already Many have bloomed.

349382567_tomatoesblossom.thumb.jpg.48dcab92a25fd97da0146817772f2c78.jpg

Ground cherries are blooming

545196320_groundcherry.thumb.JPG.0f560e7b561ef6e41344ad5d1423956c.JPG

Little okras have blossoms too.

644498576_littleokra.thumb.jpg.f3395a6eb3a58af204ee7437db06e2dc.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 8

I finally got rid of the last non-edible in the yard!

I sawed the big burning bush off at ground level with an electric chainsaw! devil2.gif

Yay!!! clap.gif

It'll be replaced with productive edibles. yes.gif

• Like 2

I was awoken at 5 am this morning by the most amazing noise. In my just-awake state it took me a while to work out what it was. We were being battered by the tail of a tropical storm or typhoon. I immediately leapt up to try to rescue the two plants outside my balcony window.

My baby lime tree was standing up well to the lashing, so was OK.

1020795491_limetree.thumb.jpg.39aafe092471fb27daa42cef2b8c91c5.jpg

and my mint was sheltered enough to escape damage. So, no real damage except to my sleep.

Some of my neighbours were less lucky. My immediate neighbour lost all the clothing she had hung outside her window to dry. We calculate it's probably flying somewhere over Korea by now!

mint.thumb.jpg.0b1867adcc69a54739cc314ec7ff6bfb.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou How old is that lime tree?  I have a dwarf lime tree (it's a standard lime tree grafted onto dwarf rootstock) and I love it!  How do you keep your tree from getting root rot issues?

I think it's about 5 or 6 years old. I grew it from a pip I almost swallowed in a gin and tonic one day. It sits on the ledge outside my balcony year round. Never had any root rot issues. Neither has the  tree! 😄

My only real regret is that it probably won't grow any larger being in that bucket, but I have no outdoor place to plant it. Also, it will never fruit here as its only potential mate is miles away in Vietnam! 😢

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

My only real regret is that it probably won't grow any larger being in that bucket, but I have no outdoor place to plant it. Also, it will never fruit here as its only potential mate is miles away in Vietnam! 😢

Strange - mine flowers/fruits all the time, and it's all by its lonesome - I think it's the only NYC lime tree in existence...  Is yours a true lime (small fruits with seeds) or a Bearss lime (sometimes called Persian lime or Tahitian lime - the standard lime you would find in the US/Europe which is actually a cross of a true lime and a lemon, which is larger than a true lime, has a thicker skin (although I find it still doesn't take insults well)  and has no seeds)?  I don't know about true limes, but Bearss limes are self-pollinating - they don't even need insects!

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Strange - mine flowers/fruits all the time, and it's all by its lonesome - I think it's the only NYC lime tree in existence...  Is yours a true lime (small fruits with seeds) or a Bearss lime (sometimes called Persian lime or Tahitian lime - the standard lime you would find in the US/Europe which is actually a cross of a true lime and a lemon, which is larger than a true lime, has a thicker skin (although I find it still doesn't take insults well)  and has no seeds)?  I don't know about true limes, but Bearss limes are self-pollinating - they don't even need insects!

It is a Vietnamese lime, so small with seeds.

I may be wrong about its fruit bearing ability - I'm no expert.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

It is a Vietnamese lime, so small with seeds.

I may be wrong about its fruit bearing ability - I'm no expert.

I love those small limes.  I keep thinking about changing out my Bearss lime for a true lime tree (I only have space for 1) but I don't have the heart to kill my tree - it's probably about 10 years old by now, if not a little older...

FWIW, I think most citrus trees don't start flowering/fruiting until they're about 5 years old... so there may be hope yet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

FWIW, I think most citrus trees don't start flowering/fruiting until they're about 5 years old... so there may be hope yet!

I just did a quick check with the producer of the dwarf tree I have (fourwindsgrowers.com) - they say that most citrus won't flower or fruit if they don't get enough direct light.  In a shaded space they will produce foliage, but not flower.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I just did a quick check with the producer of the dwarf tree I have (fourwindsgrowers.com) - they say that most citrus won't flower or fruit if they don't get enough direct light.  In a shaded space they will produce foliage, but not flower.

Mine sits in direct tropical sunlight for 10 months of the year!

Thanks for checking, though!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 10:44 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

I finally got rid of the last non-edible in the yard!

I sawed the big burning bush off at ground level with an electric chainsaw! devil2.gif

Yay!!! clap.gif

It'll be replaced with productive edibles. yes.gif

A friend is of the same philosophy in terms of yard management.

She says...."If you can't eat it, delete it!"

Love it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Part of my grow light set-up.

Nothing fancy.

Simple, cheap, and utilitarian.

Eight fluorescent lights.

The shelf is 12 inches wide and 8 feet long.

Plenty of room for my plants. I don't like them getting big inside.

It just means more work.

When the garden soil is warm enough they'll take off like a rocket!

I can move the lights and shelf up and down via chains
It's okay for seedlings to touch fluorescent lights.

I keep the seedlings as close to the lights as possible.

GrowLights.jpg

• Like 5