• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

What do they taste like?  Do you eat them as berries au natural or put them in something?

Kinda herby, citrusy, sweet and juicy. I’ve only plucked them off the tree and popped in the mouth straight up. I have one growing quite close to the house, and one along the driveway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 7:36 AM, chromedome said:

Yesterday was gloriously hot and sunny, and I finally blocked out a day to assemble the greenhouse I'd purchased last autumn.

First I laid out sheets of cardboard to suppress weeds and serve as a temporary floor (there'll be gravel, later).

20230415_100248.thumb.jpg.693516d710db478897f2e60bfd5eabc5.jpg

The rest of the sequence more or less speaks for itself:

20230415_105011.thumb.jpg.5905a1e89d2a1e70c71f0902e83f38ef.jpg

20230415_143609.thumb.jpg.922e8fd90db36c2096ffe5242e552767.jpg

20230415_175240.thumb.jpg.80368b7ca984ebcddb5543782e273a8c.jpg

Nice work!

How are you anchoring  it down? Did they provide parts for anchoring?

dcarch

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcarch said:

Nice work!

How are you anchoring  it down? Did they provide parts for anchoring?

dcarch

It came with a couple of corkscrew ground stakes and cords, but they're about the size of a kid's twisty-straw and probably not much good in a gale. :P

I'm going to pick up four or six (maybe eight) larger ones, the kind people use to stake out a dog on a lead, and use those instead. In the interim - and for my main form of stabilization - I've filled a few of my hoard of feed sacks with stone, and draped those over the bottom of the frame. I figure if they weigh 50 lbs when filled with rabbit pellets (ie, pressed alfalfa) they're probably a couple of hundred at least when filled with stone. Improvised small-scale gabions, if you will.

Between those to hold the frame down, and cords over top between the anchors to hold the cover in place, I think I'm good until late fall. Reinforcing it well enough to withstand snow load is a whole other project, of course, and I'm undecided between doing that or simply removing the cover for the winter and storing it. We'll see how ambitious I am as the year draws to a close.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

It came with a couple of corkscrew ground stakes and cords, but they're about the size of a kid's twisty-straw and probably not much good in a gale. :P

I'm going to pick up four or six (maybe eight) larger ones, the kind people use to stake out a dog on a lead, and use those instead. In the interim - and for my main form of stabilization - I've filled a few of my hoard of feed sacks with stone, and draped those over the bottom of the frame. I figure if they weigh 50 lbs when filled with rabbit pellets (ie, pressed alfalfa) they're probably a couple of hundred at least when filled with stone. Improvised small-scale gabions, if you will.

Between those to hold the frame down, and cords over top between the anchors to hold the cover in place, I think I'm good until late fall. Reinforcing it well enough to withstand snow load is a whole other project, of course, and I'm undecided between doing that or simply removing the cover for the winter and storing it. We'll see how ambitious I am as the year draws to a close.

For snow load, my suggestions:

1. The one top pipe at the peak of the curve, go to HD and get a larger diameter pipe to replace it. Shouldn't cost too much.

2. Get 5 2"x 2" lumber, cut post length to the height  from ground to the underside of the top pipe. When heavy snow is forecasted,  just pop up the posts inside the greenhouse right under the 5 cross points of the pipes. the will take care very heavy snow falls. Remove the posts after you clear the snow. BTW, snow is a very good insulator.

It's a lot of work to remove and reinstall the plastic cover.

You may want to consider also, a small solar panel for 12V LED lights, winter gets dark very early. The 12v,  and you may want to have a 12V electric fence around the greenhouse.

dcarch

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dcarch said:

For snow load, my suggestions:

1. The one top pipe at the peak of the curve, go to HD and get a larger diameter pipe to replace it. Shouldn't cost too much.

2. Get 5 2"x 2" lumber, cut post length to the height  from ground to the underside of the top pipe. When heavy snow is forecasted,  just pop up the posts inside the greenhouse right under the 5 cross points of the pipes. the will take care very heavy snow falls. Remove the posts after you clear the snow. BTW, snow is a very good insulator.

It's a lot of work to remove and reinstall the plastic cover.

You may want to consider also, a small solar panel for 12V LED lights, winter gets dark very early. The 12v,  and you may want to have a 12V electric fence around the greenhouse.

dcarch

We already have a small solar-powered charger for our electric fence (currently deployed around the rabbits). There's another fence around my main garden area, and I plan one more of the compact solar chargers for the greenhouse (because raccoons). We'll have some low-voltage solar lights in there for our own convenience on those long summer evenings, but yeah...if I do opt to keep the greenhouse going in winter there'll need to be some supplementary light. Still considering my options on that front, because everything I do is necessarily on a shoestring budget.

I have the framing from a friend's torn-down shed in a stack not far from this little greenhouse, and a hundred-odd salvaged windows in the barn, and plan to turn those into a second greenhouse/potting shed over the course of the summer as time permits. That one could support a small woodstove in it for heating purposes, and would be easier to insulate around the base and north wall, so if it comes to fruition that would certainly trump the hoop house as a winter option.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@chromedome

One other factor to consider, if you haven't already factored it in, is that the greenhouse cover fabric has a UV exposure lifetime before it starts to degrade to the point where it must be replaced.

Removing the cover over the winter, although a PITA, would extend the useful lifetime of the fabric.

Something to consider.

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

20 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@chromedome

One other factor to consider, if you haven't already factored it in, is that the greenhouse cover fabric has a UV exposure lifetime before it starts to degrade to the point where it must be replaced.

Removing the cover over the winter, although a PITA, would extend the useful lifetime of the fabric.

Something to consider.

It's actually not even that much of a PITA. As mentioned I'd put it on inside-out the first time, so I've already had to do it twice. It'll take longer the next time just because I'll need to undo the tie-downs and velcro straps, but it still won't take long.

It'll come down to how badly, and how long, I want to extend my growing season. And whether I get the wood-and-glass one built.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My tomato seedlings are coming along nicely. Fifteen on the go. Here are three Pink Brandywine (largest) and three Black Krims. I have four other tomato varieties as well as three varieties of hot peppers.

I've direct seeded snow and sugar snap peas, lettuces (eight varieties including beets for the greens), radishes (four varieties), rainbow chard, red and Tuscan kale, collards and some dill. 

Looking forward to last frost day.

Apr.2720232.thumb.JPG.56f8dd35efbe709ac22a36e62e9379b4.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Seedlings are coming along. I'll be happy to get them hardened off and planted. Still 2-3 weeks too early (we've had frosts the last three nights).

One of the garlic patches which are also coming along nicely.

May1020233.thumb.JPG.44b3e4d18305378924a76b8e9adad424.JPGDSCN0808.thumb.JPG.924897d2cde5eeda407b496999fe517a.JPG

• Like 13

51 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ooohh looking in need of love and lighr.

Oh yeah. Hard to believe since I'm only a 1 day shipping point and they shipped yesterday. They must not have supplemental lighting in their greenhouse - but you'd think by this time of year it would be getting plenty of light anyway.

12 hours ago, KennethT said:

I just received a couple herb starts for some things that don't grow from seed (easily). I have to say I'm disappointed - hopefully they'll perk up a bit soon.

PXL_20230516_234120582.thumb.jpg.139ecda16d9b4e29d722f1446d499418.jpg

Is that outlet up to code???!!!

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

40 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Is that outlet up to code???!!!

Absolutely.  That one outlet is on a dedicated 20A circuit breaker.  Currently, the load is nowhere near that, even though it looks like a lot of plugs going into it.  One of those cords just powers an Arduino which uses less power than your cell phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mother's Day is the local time for planting tomatoes.

Interestingly, Mother's Day was when several volunteer tomatoes popped up.

Its like t hey knew

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

348437644_513810580826050_1499184091389876461_n.jpg.1d17ab3e0a32d2511d61780ce27c50ef.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

@gfwebMother's Day is what I always aimed for, too, when planting tomatoes.  Sigh.  Ronnie never listens to me.  Maybe he will next year.  He works so hard and does such a good job growing plants from seed in the greenhouse.  They looked beautiful.  Then they got really big and absolutely had to be planted--much too early.......I'm a big believer in the temp. of the dirt being at least 60F....it wasn't.  I don't know if that's the reason or a combo of a lot of reasons but half the plants have died.  The others look awful.  I'm hoping they will snap out of it.  We tried to buy some from the nursery a couple of days ago, but they weren't available any more.  So, we will see.   Last summer I wasn't really up to doing much health-wise.  This summer I'm feeling better so there better be tomatoes to can!

However, I've never had such beautiful onions. 

thumbnail_IMG_4518.jpg.0992e0db8c472c3e1db46a5ca231f8b5.jpg

It's hard to tell but some of those greens are over 3' tall!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been years since I have planted anything edible.  (And I don't do flowers anyway.)  We once planted gourds for a few years...not a good crop for the far frozen north.  Then we planted the field in food things.  Went well for a while but then life intervened and other things had to take precedence.  Then I planted tomatoes in containers for a while.  And tomatillos (which we can't buy ever in our nearby city).  The problem was (Angel) Carson, our male.  He would pee on anything that stuck up more than  2" and watering the stuff outside the fenced backyard became overload for me.  Yes, I know.    I was lazy.  Well, and old. 

So now.  This year.  I'm back.  Sort of.  Our old picnic table on the patio is no longer safe for sitting or much of anything.  So I've planted in 3 large bags of potting soil...a first for me.  Three kinds of eggplant (courtesy of a neighbor's leftovers), and Poblanos and  both Cherry and Beefsteak tomatoes.  And I can just use a big watering can.  And they are inside the fenced yard.  And too high for any dogs to pee on.  And all is well.  Really I think it's all I can manage now.  

• Like 6

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 minutes ago, Darienne said:

It's been years since I have planted anything edible.  (And I don't do flowers anyway.)  We once planted gourds for a few years...not a good crop for the far frozen north.  Then we planted the field in food things.  Went well for a while but then life intervened and other things had to take precedence.  Then I planted tomatoes in containers for a while.  And tomatillos (which we can't buy ever in our nearby city).  The problem was (Angel) Carson, our male.  He would pee on anything that stuck up more than  2" and watering the stuff outside the fenced backyard became overload for me.  Yes, I know.    I was lazy.  Well, and old. 

So now.  This year.  I'm back.  Sort of.  Our old picnic table on the patio is no longer safe for sitting or much of anything.  So I've planted in 3 large bags of potting soil...a first for me.  Three kinds of eggplant (courtesy of a neighbor's leftovers), and Poblanos and  both Cherry and Beefsteak tomatoes.  And I can just use a big watering can.  And they are inside the fenced yard.  And too high for any dogs to pee on.  And all is well.  Really I think it's all I can manage now.  

Something is almost always better than nothing. When I had no yard and no community garden plot, I put lettuces in pots on a windowsill. It wasn't a practical solution to my salad-greens supply, but it made me feel better.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Something is almost always better than nothing. When I had no yard and no community garden plot, I put lettuces in pots on a windowsill. It wasn't a practical solution to my salad-greens supply, but it made me feel better.

Totally agree. My windowsill herbs make me happy - just brushing against them even. 

• Like 8

Screenshot2023-06-06at13-34-57YellinaStrikeonTwitter.png.1e89eb1de5722104f19ec5135b0921c9.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3