• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

She's the landlord.

That happened to us. A few small herb pots on the fire-escape outside the kitchen window---a letter from our landlord that the weight will cause unnecessary stress on the 'counter balance' of the attachment to the building. Shit apartment and crap renovations. All light switches were up-off, down-on. Tile counters that popped up and off within weeks and blamed us---on and on. 

• Sad 1

292987777_10160221542989919_11624899938017264_n.jpg.55e145b0c85c074afb5a47ff6bf3c01f.jpg

Just 'cause...

• Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

herb patch is solid

Nice thing about pots is the ability to move them to a shady spot if the heat gets them. 

I have a shade system for my fixed beds when most in the heat cannot grow tender greens. 

Many of my herb pots are in fabric nursery 5 gallons with handles that can be relocated in part shade. 

First week of high heat. Tomatoes are not happy over 80ºF. 

In high heat areas, not a bad idea to start a Fall garden now. I just started two small trays indoors of fall greens, salads, and peas. 

We have so many thunderstorms I have not needed to water much until now. Moving some herbs like cilantro into part shade. 

• Like 2

This was excellent on my burger last night. Since my beloved but benighted husband doesn't believe in tomatoes or lettuce on his burgers, it was ALL MINE! I see more tomatoes starting to ripen, so soon we'll be able to have a Caprese salad from time to time. Our basil is doing nicely too. 

20220719_161244.jpg

20220720_155317.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 7/18/2022 at 10:49 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had converted to large fabric containers for gardening.  Then my landlord made me remove all plants from my deck.

Your landlord sucks. But she has been an ass before

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Your landlord sucks. But she has been an ass before

I think you may be remembering the same incident from a couple years ago.  My vegetable gardening at the moment is indoors with a little pot of cilantro and a little pot of thyme.

• Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Gardeners need to accept the seasons. I'm having the year of the zucchini and it's flowers. My trial baby flageolet French beans---and another dozen trials---a spit here and there. Such a small harvest. 

IMG_3755.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Learned years ago to accept the harvest how it plays out. Way too many variables with heat and rain. We have had great storms every few days this year. But most crops do not like the heat. Why I have started a fall crop. Moved some fabric herbs pots and salads/greens into shade for now. 

I should be harvesting buckets of beans but not going to happen. The past few year I have been trying some varieties of small bush French flageolets. So good but not productive this year. 

I picked a few small zucchini fruits and let a couple go for a day or two-- harvested with critter bites in them. Soft and watery as well.

I'll just enjoy the Z-flowers. More than I have ever had. 

Tomatoes look good even though they hate temps over 80ºF. 

Overall I'm content with this years harvest so far. Local farm stand for corn picked in the cooler early morning temps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First (any maybe only lol) beans from the garden.  We will see if they spring back after this heat breaks a bit.

thumbnail_IMG_2773.jpg.c048a48e2db112fdf958fcbed5a526da.jpg

Look at these fat hogs just sprawled out in there.  This is only one group.  We're gonna have a lot of melons if the raccoons leave them alone.

thumbnail_IMG_1564-2.jpg.609653b7e5a3487cee14418f47ffde70.jpg

And, all you smart people.  I've never seen this happen in my garden before.  Two cantaloupes on one end.  Is this weird?  Do I need to keep these seeds because a miracle has happened lol?

thumbnail_IMG_2781.jpg.e696568733ae8e78ac4d6deea709e0ae.jpg

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

"hogs" - perfect and gorgeous. On the cantalope - I think it is just a growth anomaly. - like conjoined twin cherries. 

That's the thing, though, they aren't stuck together.  Two separate fruits.  I've seen ones that are conjoined...but never two separate on one stem :) 

• Like 1

@Shelby 

have you ever pickled beans ?

I was gifted a jar once

and they were outstanding.

my work load consisted of opening the jar

right out of the refrigerator

work I excel at.

P.S.:  pickled whole 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

I was gifted a jar once

and thy were outstanding.

my wok load consisted of opening the jar

work I excel at.

I don't think I have...if I did it was years ago.  We love them in tomato juice and bloody mary's.  If I get a glut I may have to do that!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shelby said:

That's the thing, though, they aren't stuck together.  Two separate fruits.  I've seen ones that are conjoined...but never two separate on one stem :) 

Ah! You'll have to let us know how they turn out.

Those melons (water, that is) are amazing!

I tried melons this year in a raised pot, first time ever regardless of growing vessel - not sure if it will work, one little round melon growing, but slowly.  Do not think these fabric pots offer sufficient water.

Our Zucch harvest has been very good this year, lots of fruit - flowers, etc.  Tomatoes are starting to come in as well, picked many cherries (about 3-4 types) and today, the first slicers (Black Krums).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I don't think I have...if I did it was years ago.  We love them in tomato juice and bloody mary's.  If I get a glut I may have to do that!

Did someone say Bloody Mary?  Yes, please!

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Shelby said:

identical twins, maybe?

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

I was gifted a jar once

and they were outstanding.

my work load consisted of opening the jar

work I excel at.

P.S.:  pickled whole 

pickled Dilly beans. Wash and trim beans to stand upright in jar. Bottom of jar: smashed garlic clove, salt, pepper, big bunch of dill. Pack. Raw beans in.  Boil 50-50 vinegar water solution. Pour over beans to fill jars. Water bath process for 19 minutes.

can use other spices as it suits your fancy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I finally decided one of our tomatoes was ripe enough to harvest this morning. That's the second or third tomato from our six pots. But...the pots are loaded! A very few tomatoes are starting to show color.

20220731_121743.jpg

I just KNOW that they'll all start coming ripe when I'm away on a 2-week road trip, the last half of August.

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My tiny little container garden is simple fun. The three different cherry tomato plants continue to produce. The larger tomato variety stays stubbornly green, but that's gotta change soon with all the heat we are getting. And despite that heat, I still am getting some lovely sweet snap peas. More flowers on my hanging strawberry baskets so that's nice to see, since I didn't get that much fruit up to now. In a moment of crazy and wild optimism, I planted a couple of watermelon seeds. The plants are still small so I am not too hopeful about actually getting any fruit, but you never know, right?  🙂

From today: 

PXL_20220731_182344886.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.24d087eed6922574e9041d02e76494dd.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Jessica wanted to try growing romaine from the cut off ends.  We are decidedly NOT a farming family (my Italian grandmother only grew azaleas and my farm grandparents only grew calves and a neglected apple/pear orchard), but they are doing well:

1-IMG_0372.thumb.jpg.08abc8a5d12c7b688c384dd6ae7089d7.jpg

She wants to transfer them outside to a planter, but everything I read says just let them get some leaves and then harvest - that trying to grow whole heads almost never works.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1