• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

14 hours ago, heidih said:

What a luxury plus good gardening skill to have some to preserve. Once blanched and frozen I don't think you will get "tender/crisp" but taste should be nice, Let us know.

Just having a hard time ..eating all I'm getting now .  Fresh that is

• Haha 1

Its good to have Morels

9 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Gaguzza  in the House-- Literally

Had to look that one up! Thanks. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Shisho Tree--  I play music for it!!!   :)

51349292149_4530e68671_c.jpg

Gorgeous lusty plant. I am a huge shiso fan. What woud you say your top uses are. My rut is as a wrapper for grilled meats in Korean and Vietnamese applications.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Shisho Tree--  I play music for it!!!   :)

51349292149_4530e68671_c.jpg

Very nice. Mine sprawls a lot more and has smaller leaves. I wonder if I should thin it next spring

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

14 hours ago, heidih said:

Gorgeous lusty plant. I am a huge shiso fan. What woud you say your top uses are. My rut is as a wrapper for grilled meats in Korean and Vietnamese applications.

My Favorite...is spring roll!! 

But I like to use it as a degestivio...shredded diakon and shredded carrots  wrap and dip in spicy sauce or  soy based dipping sauce

I seen a recipe where they just steamed it   and ate it  (  steamed perilla )

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

First pineapple of the season. Out 3rd ever :)

This is also the first decent sized one, since the plants are now older (almost 5 years old).

It was *very* tasty.

PXL_20210802_165307579.thumb.jpg.70ed0ec7af529cf702f0fdb4b3af6d7b.jpg

Here's last years' for comparison:

PXL_20200930_155027572.thumb.jpg.e7a85f84da7b80dc9daa0c7287fdcaa1.jpg

IMG_20190831_182841.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

13 minutes ago, shain said:

First pineapple of the season. Out 3rd ever :)

This is also the first decent sized one, since the plants are now older (almost 5 years old).

It was *very* tasty.

PXL_20210802_165307579.thumb.jpg.70ed0ec7af529cf702f0fdb4b3af6d7b.jpg

Here's last years' for comparison:

PXL_20200930_155027572.thumb.jpg.e7a85f84da7b80dc9daa0c7287fdcaa1.jpg

IMG_20190831_182841.jpg

Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of growing a pineapple plant.  When I was a kid, I had the space in the summer but wouldn't have known what to do once it became colder here.  Now, I know what to do and would grow it indoors but don't have that much space!!  There's nothing like a completely plant ripened pineapple - something we almost never see here in the US (everything is brought in green).  How big is the mature plant now?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of growing a pineapple plant.  When I was a kid, I had the space in the summer but wouldn't have known what to do once it became colder here.  Now, I know what to do and would grow it indoors but don't have that much space!!  There's nothing like a completely plant ripened pineapple - something we almost never see here in the US (everything is brought in green).  How big is the mature plant now?

I'll snap a picture soon.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

My garden has about given up the ghost. As I never got the lettuce/radish/carrot bed cleared and replanted with later stuff, that all went to seed; Ill be pulling the old plants out, piling them up, and covering the soil with compost and straw and then probably covering the entire bed with landscape fabric for the winter. Ditto the cabbage/crucifer bed. Brussels sprouts never bore fruit, but the broccoli and cauliflower was good. Cabbages took FOREVER to mature, so I was late emptying that bed and never got it replanted either.

Tomatoes, which went in pretty early, are almost completely through. Reasonable crop.

Asparagus has sprouted a marvelous bed of ferns. Hoping to be able to harvest a bit next spring early.

I think it's going to be one bed of tomatoes, another bed of Roma tomatoes to make sauce, and the bed of lettuce, etc., can go into late tomatoes, next year.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 8/8/2021 at 4:23 PM, KennethT said:

How big is the mature plant now?

Still not full sized.

I counted 10 pineapples! Though most are smaller than this one.

They are of two variates (originated from two cuttings). Though I'm not sure if there's a difference in flavor.

You can also notice the greenhouse skeleton, used to protect them from rain damage in winter.

PXL_20210809_060419291.jpg

PXL_20210809_060340135.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

PXL_20210809_060419291.jpg

PXL_20210809_060340135.jpg

The pineapples we get in my local grocery stores are a sort of cross in colors that your pineapples are showing. Here they're greenish with a gold blush. The more golden they are, the more ripe they are. Your golden pineapple, if found in my grocery store, wouldn't be touched by shoppers because it'd be considered overripe. 

I was happy to hear it tasted good!

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, heidih said:

@shain So in pots and it looks like they can stand to be crowded. Nice!

Some are planted, but they seem to dare well in pots, and it's a bit more convenient. Though We might need to transfer the larger ones.

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

The pineapples we get in my local grocery stores are a sort of cross in colors that your pineapples are showing. Here they're greenish with a gold blush. The more golden they are, the more ripe they are. Your golden pineapple, if found in my grocery store, wouldn't be touched by shoppers because it'd be considered overripe. 

Same with what sold here. And they are way expensive considering that they are easy to grow in our weather...

With shipping and retail times, a vine ripened one will sure go bad before it's eaten.

I do think that pineapple ripen well off the vine, though I had my share of under-ripe, tasteless pineapples.

I can't imagine that in tropical countries customers will settle for green.

PXL.thumb.jpg.7f6d90fff7730a579c3872bdada88ad8.jpg

70 TWD, that's 2.5$. Lucky them. It'll be at least 14$ here.

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Actually a few years ago Dole came out with a new variety to market. It is very gold, low acid, and flesh quite yellow. I found this Dole video interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GiDl3ZpisE

• Like 2

So...now I know the Italian-American term for "compost"? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm putting this in the garden area because hopefully the seeds will feed someone (the birds).  Where that big tree in my yard had to be removed we decided to plant sunflowers.  A couple of them are over 12' tall.  I will get on a ladder or get in the tractor bucket and get better close up pictures.  I miss my tree, but I do love looking out the window at the happy faces.

thumbnail_IMG_1138.jpg.4ab87b6f93e72bb147871c5262ca0271.jpg

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm putting this in the garden area because hopefully the seeds will feed someone (the birds).  Where that big tree in my yard had to be removed we decided to plant sunflowers.  A couple of them are over 12' tall.  I will get on a ladder or get in the tractor bucket and get better close up pictures.  I miss my tree, but I do love looking out the window at the happy faces.

thumbnail_IMG_1138.jpg.4ab87b6f93e72bb147871c5262ca0271.jpg

I just told a guy buying flowers for his wife (usual hot house) that the sunflowers adjacent would guarantee a smile and to consider them. (the ones grown for bouquets). My "Big Boi" from a stand of 6 several years ago. So cool - I agree

BigBoiSunflower.JPG

• Like 5

On 8/9/2021 at 12:26 PM, Toliver said:

Some years ago (15? Yikes--) when we were in Ecuador we discovered white pineapple. Sweet flavor, somewhat more subtle than the yellow varieties. I've never seen them either in the US or in México. I think I heard that they are sometimes available in Hawaii.

• Like 3

Formerly "Nancy in CO"