• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

On 1/9/2021 at 9:57 AM, TicTac said:

On a side note, I got my seed catalogue this year and boy, oh boy - am I going to go nuts and order (probably) far too many seeds and new (and very exciting) plants - like this 'Green Pepper Basil' from Mexico, which I know many on this board would be a huge fan of.... 🤣

If yu want to blow your seed lust mind check out Margaret's interview today with Nate Kleinman of Experimental Farm Network. Good sources and some interesting plants. https://awaytogarden.com/unusual-seeds-with-nate-kleinman-of-experimental-farm-network/

I have some herbs out off my back porch. We've had a handful of sub-freezing nights (20s; I don't think we've dropped into the teens, but it's been plenty cold to freeze the water in the birdbath. I am somewhat astounded that my parsley (in a pot) and cilantro (in the ground) are thriving, in fact, luxuriant would be a fair word. Ditto the sage. Of course, rosemary just grows and grows. Oregano and mint had died down, but are sprouting back,  and the thyme is just creeping along.

I've never had herbs thrive like this, this deep in the winter! They're planted on the north side of the house, to boot.

20210110_135352.thumb.jpg.bc45bb3617a804f34de3bd203e78b208.jpg

Prolific parsley, with sage and thyme in the rear.

20210110_135358.thumb.jpg.901db99abc0a9f025452bd68c1864be0.jpg

Lots of cilantro

20210110_135410.thumb.jpg.1d247e9e28cd06d7b27393bba6f411aa.jpg

And reborn mint.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

i can't remember if i posted these on this forum yet or not but

me this year: i should try and use less electricity

also me this year: haha winter you have no power here

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.2bba372bc6dd5cef98e6250ac43fb431.jpeg

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Awesome @jimb0 - My buddy used to grow those tiny wild strawberries indoors, so good.  What type of light are you using?

About to pull the order on some fun new seeds from Richter's ... now to start reverse engineering timelines of germination and creating planting schedules!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Awesome @jimb0 - My buddy used to grow those tiny wild strawberries indoors, so good.  What type of light are you using?

About to pull the order on some fun new seeds from Richter's ... now to start reverse engineering timelines of germination and creating planting schedules!

oh nice, i'm gonna place another seed order from richter's soon, too, actually. i already got one order in from baker creek (rareseeds.com) in the US. 

these are LED lights we built on kitchen shelves. they're just bridgelux strips with some meanwell drivers. so much cheaper than buying any commercial "grow light" once you get to a certain point. i posted this...elsewhere...:

image.png

these are the same strips, just 2x four foot strips to make eight feet per shelf (these shelves are in the kitchen/dining area) instead of doubling up on 2- or 3-foot strips as in the case of the shelves in the bird room/SO's office (where the strawberries are). you can't see them but there's a bunch of orchids overwintering below the strawberries, lol.

incidentally those strawberries are from a clamshell of the greenhouse strawberries i picked up at valumart. i thought one tasted really exceptionally good so i saved the tip of the strawberry to grow the next year. it didn't bloom all summer in the garden, just threw out a bunch of runners, but over the winter it obviously decided it was ready.

planning on growing anything interesting this year?

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, jimb0 said:

oh nice, i'm gonna place another seed order from richter's soon, too, actually. i already got one order in from baker creek (rareseeds.com) in the US. 

these are LED lights we built on kitchen shelves. they're just bridgelux strips with some meanwell drivers. so much cheaper than buying any commercial "grow light" once you get to a certain point. i posted this...elsewhere...:

image.png

these are the same strips, just 2x four foot strips to make eight feet per shelf (these shelves are in the kitchen/dining area) instead of doubling up on 2- or 3-foot strips as in the case of the shelves in the bird room/SO's office (where the strawberries are). you can't see them but there's a bunch of orchids overwintering below the strawberries, lol.

incidentally those strawberries are from a clamshell of the greenhouse strawberries i picked up at valumart. i thought one tasted really exceptionally good so i saved the tip of the strawberry to grow the next year. it didn't bloom all summer in the garden, just threw out a bunch of runners, but over the winter it obviously decided it was ready.

planning on growing anything interesting this year?

Love the look of that shelf system.  In your kitchen too - very cool.  Could you take a wider shot to see the whole thing?  Looks great.

A few unique plants I am considering this year - Toscano, Prospera and Green Pepper Basil, Elder Berries, Lemon Bottlebrush, Confetti Cilantro, Fenugreek - just to name a few.

I will start everything under a 80w KIND LED strip light in a 2x4 tent.  No till organic living soil.

I was standing outside this afternoon looking at my raised beds which, shamefully, still hold dead tomato vines and green bean vines and squash and eggplant and cucumber vines. If I can catch a semi-warm, semi-clear day, I'll pull all those, put down some compost, till it just a bit and toss down either some straw or newspaper or cardboard.

I also have not built my cold frame, though I have the window to put atop it. And I'd need to be planting crucifers and cabbages by early next month. @Kerry Beal, seasoning that grill pan may have to wait yet a bit longer!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Brief garden report. Not too successful this year but a few things are working out.

My Warrigal greens are happy since I transplanted them to a bigger pot.

20210207_110208.thumb.jpg.a313fbdce260008a9812df4b62e9d31c.jpg

Green shiso is looking ok since I rolled it out to get more sun

20210207_110217.thumb.jpg.0a4a26583c87b68bd453f91cd1c04917.jpg

But the artichokes are sad. There was one in with the shiso that didn't make it, too.

20210207_105033.thumb.jpg.b26ae68f2957e978841f075ab86198c3.jpg

Seems to be an ok year for peppers. This plant is 2 years old. The lime tree in the background got a bad case of scale but I may get some limes.

20210207_110237.thumb.jpg.3983e5997a362615f0c4e24ce30818f4.jpg

• Like 7

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Are the artichokes new or 2nd year? Some cute succulents in the background. 

I think this is their second year. The are from pups off another plant.

I have quite a few succulents because they are hard to kill.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

12 hours ago, haresfur said:

I have quite a few succulents because they are hard to kill.

Oh I have counseled soe grieving plant-parents. Too much water, poor drainage, assuming they can all tolerate brutal full sun, mealy bugs, scale...

On 2/4/2021 at 12:19 PM, TicTac said:

Love the look of that shelf system.  In your kitchen too - very cool.  Could you take a wider shot to see the whole thing?  Looks great.

A few unique plants I am considering this year - Toscano, Prospera and Green Pepper Basil, Elder Berries, Lemon Bottlebrush, Confetti Cilantro, Fenugreek - just to name a few.

I will start everything under a 80w KIND LED strip light in a 2x4 tent.  No till organic living soil.

please excuse the mess, as i am lazy

IMG_0704.thumb.jpeg.eae7db7cd887bce538d420b5f9bd2317.jpeg

shelf systems were all super expensive so we just bought some 2x10 dimensional lumber, routed out grooves in the bottom, and stained and urethaned it. planning on doing some more cleaning out of the cupboards, and then these will be limited to mostly plants, tea and coffee storage (i guess they're plants), booze, maybe some other items. less cluttered, anyway.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, TicTac said:

@jimb0 - Looks very cool!  Almost like a living wall type of setup.

Ken - tent is looking good, especially that sawtooth coriander! 

Thanks - I didn't realize when I took that photo that you could see 5 different plants there.  The kaffir lime is doing really well also, I'm letting 1 fruit mature (I plucked the other flowers) and it keeps putting out new flushes of leaves.  The lemongrass has gone crazy and the mint, after its extreme haircut has come back with a vengeance.  I should open up a mint stand at the farmer's market.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

Thanks - I didn't realize when I took that photo that you could see 5 different plants there.  The kaffir lime is doing really well also, I'm letting 1 fruit mature (I plucked the other flowers) and it keeps putting out new flushes of leaves.  The lemongrass has gone crazy and the mint, after its extreme haircut has come back with a vengeance.  I should open up a mint stand at the farmer's market.

The lime is obviously flourishing and the lemon grass is doing well too.

I am trying an 'insulation' technique on my outdoor lemon grass over winter, have it covered with burlap and some other containers to try to manage temps, see if it rebounds in the spring.  Same thing with my Aurora peppers as I have heard there *might* be a chance they could survive the winter if properly treated.  We shall see.

My slew of new seeds are coming soon, quite interested to see what this Lemon Bottlebrush does, sounds very interesting - amongst others.

Now to source some soil-less seed starter, another month or so and its about sproutin time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Now to source some soil-less seed starter, another month or so and its about sproutin time!

Yup. Been contemplating my seed order for the past few days. Making a list and checking it twice, and all that kind of thing. :)

Of course, the anticipation is half the fun.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

FB old memory today. My "Big Boi" sunflower. I had a stand of them. Considering the weather in North America - thought it might uplift. I had high hopes as they had lovely seeds - squirrels thought so too, Adjacent to driveway - I'd come home to squirrels plopping on ground after a raid.

No photo description available.

• Like 4