• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

While plants look like they're grown together, they're actually in individual fabric pots and the nutrient is drain to waste so there's no mixing of anything except the air they breathe.

I did not mean that they are growing in the same root system, but rather in close proximity.  Some plants simply do not tolerate others as neighbors - for example, one should not plant tomatoes next to things such as broccoli or cabbage.

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

I did not mean that they are growing in the same root system, but rather in close proximity.  Some plants simply do not tolerate others as neighbors - for example, one should not plant tomatoes next to things such as broccoli or cabbage.

I was always of the understanding that this was because of either nutritional requirements or because of root exudates or something like that.  Now I have more research to do....

In my own garden I have freed up a bed for my garlic to go into by scalping my early planting of kale. This is fine; my late planting is just about ready to begin harvesting and it's a variety I like better (Siberian was all I had this spring, the later planting is Tuscan). Some of my other late plantings are just coming into their own, as well. I've been getting a few peas and they'll hit full flood over the next week or so, my pattypans are hanging in, I've harvested a few cukes, and just today nabbed a 4-lb spaghetti squash. Looks like I'll have several more of those by the end of October, as long as I get some kind of row covers in place before the next frost.

My running tally of greens blanched and frozen is up to 10kg (about 22 lbs), and I've had a few more ripe Black Krims. Still waiting on the first San Marzanos to ripen, but many of them have begun to change color. I have a reflector up to maximize the limited sun we're getting this late in the season, and will get a cover over those as well in the next day or two. Yellow beans are about done, chard and beet tops are still producing solidly.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

@dcarch--nice jpb on that system..I struggled with weeds  in mine  Think I might try pots this yr and yr idea too

I too had difficulties this year especially.

Stocking up on cardboard to try the lasagna layering method - think I am going to go for a very thin layer,  just 1 thick layer of cardboard with mulch on top...

Stab holes in it to plant next season, see how she goes.

• Like 2

Happy to say the kaffir lime tree is doing really well... The new growth (on the right) is a great shade of green and has a really intense aroma.

20201001_191415_HDR.thumb.jpg.99d8af53962115dd2b896346668cfa46.jpg

And the morning glory is taking off - I'll be able to harvest some soon.

20201001_191405_HDR.thumb.jpg.52a446f38ba0cf998b2d4d3c918052ec.jpg

• Like 4

It's a sad day in Paradise.  Here is a picture of my garden a couple of weeks ago.  It looks the same now.  The other picture is what it normally looks like.

I have not been able to look after it due to medical issues and DH is not really interested....so, here is what we have.  The weeds are so big it was hard to find any carrots growing in there.  Amazing how well they grow even without regular watering.

I have a local gardener booked to come and do an assessment and to lend assistance with these tired old beds.  The weeds need to be removed and the soil dug out and new rich soil put back.  The beds are 16 years old.  We have added compost, etc. over the years but it is tired soil as our crops have been declining.  I want this done soon because it is getting to garlic planting time.  I can at least get those in the ground.  Looking forward to a nice garden in 2021...I am confident it will happen.

1404080791_IMG-01192.thumb.jpg.48d50f19e5a505f30e7254c4b381e2ec.jpg

DSC02444.thumb.jpg.acef4bd677de9c1b7d58a34d2a0f4870.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

I feel for you.

My "main" garden out on the Kingston Peninsula was in a similarly decrepit condition this year. Bad spring weather wiped out my early plantings, drought did for most of the rest, plus a combination of COVID-related restrictions and belt-tightening (ie, gas money to drive out to the country) meant I couldn't physically be there much over the first half of the season.

This was supposed to be a year of mentoring my stepdaughter in the garden (she and her family live on that property) so we could enlarge it and both have decent gardens there, but that didn't happen for the reasons given above. Also, she's busy with three kids (hers are 2 and 5, his is 14). So, between that and the lack of water...it was pretty grim.

Hoping and planning for better in 2021.

• Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Mine are pretty bad right now. Waiting for a first good frost (likely not until mid-next-month) to make everything easier to pull up. Then a layer of compost, one of straw, and cover them for the winter.

Next year, I'm adding a cold frame bed for early stuff, and will get the gardens themselves out earlier. But they were good to me this year.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Hi expert gardeners. After a very unsuccessful attempt at gardening in Brooklyn with a garden with less than ideal sun exposure, here we are trying again in Florida. 

Suggestions along the way would be great. 

This is what we have. I am attaching some photos and a map my DH wrote. Sunlight you see in the first 2 photos is at noon. 

1E989B50-5070-4639-A8C2-A582D019D457.jpeg

4A102BCC-4B49-401B-AEAD-AB30D19445E1.jpeg

3C021EAD-E817-46EC-B1E1-FD330FDF9FF9.jpeg

2B2A4D09-26D6-48D2-B524-F7F228843F9A.jpeg

03914C9F-6E96-4659-852C-69852FCBF97B.jpeg

890DCFE7-49CB-4489-B6DD-3EAFD9ECFCF3.jpeg

2BC32F7B-F3F8-4003-9206-4FCBA87046B5.png

Edited by Franci (log)

3 minutes ago, Franci said:

Hi expert gardeners. After a very unsuccessful attempt at gardening in Brooklyn with a garden with less than ideal sun exposure, here we are trying again in Florida. 

Suggestions along the way would be great. 

This is what we have. I am attaching some photos and a map my DH wrote. Sunlight you see in the first 2 photos is at noon. 

1E989B50-5070-4639-A8C2-A582D019D457.jpeg

4A102BCC-4B49-401B-AEAD-AB30D19445E1.jpeg

3C021EAD-E817-46EC-B1E1-FD330FDF9FF9.jpeg

2B2A4D09-26D6-48D2-B524-F7F228843F9A.jpeg

03914C9F-6E96-4659-852C-69852FCBF97B.jpeg

890DCFE7-49CB-4489-B6DD-3EAFD9ECFCF3.jpeg

2BC32F7B-F3F8-4003-9206-4FCBA87046B5.png

What are you looking to grow? Veggies, herbs? When will it start to get cold?

We are going to build brick raised beds of approximately one foot. Given the current level of the soil, plus the raised bed with could achieve a depth of 20 inches. On the longer side there are a lot of roots but since we are not going to plant fruit trees but only vegetables, I don’t think should be an issue, right? We were thinking of buying soil and plants from this coop

So far we made a list and trying to fill the spaces. We want to have trellis so the vegetable can grow above the fence. 

Ah, another big problem. Here there are iguanas everywhere! 

FE9D9687-BE8D-4F68-ABC6-A1801BC26FE0.png

0F42DC7D-C9B9-49CB-9E1E-D902A0AA1090.png

• Like 1

On top of Ken's questions....

How much work are you prepared to take on?

I would certainly look to carve out a spot for some citrus tree(s) given you live in FL or some other fruit (does passion fruit grow in your climate!?) that you can enjoy hand to mouth.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

On top of Ken's questions....

How much work are you prepared to take on?

I would certainly look to carve out a spot for some citrus tree(s) given you live in FL or some other fruit (does passion fruit grow in your climate!?) that you can enjoy hand to mouth.

We got a consultation from a guy in the second link I posted with the list of veg to plant and he advises against citrus, they is a lime tree a little more resistant but they get sick very easily. I was dreaming of having a lemon tree! In the more shady areas the guy suggested papaya or a mini banano tree. I’d like a mango or my daughter love pitaya 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1

Just took a look at your last post @Franci - the spacing noted in that software is off.  Squash for example are going to need way more than 2 sq ft.  Tomatoes, more than 1 sq ft...etc.

Peppers can sometimes get large too.  My poblano's grew about 2' tall and about 4' wide this year. 

I would also explore options for getting some full till organic soil in or organic compost as a base if not for your entire beds.  You will not need to fuss with it as much with additional nutrients, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Franci said:

We got a consultation from a guy in the second link I posted with the list of veg to plant and he advises against citrus, they is a lime tree a little more resistant but they get sick very easily. I was dreaming of having a lemon tree! 

I have seen people bring lemon trees in and outdoors from here in Canada -

Do not let your dream slip away so easily.  Go get that Lemon tree!

We will get the soil from that coop, here and most likely ask for a second consultation. See what we can do with the lemon tree!

Ah, ah, my husband is too optimistic on spacing the plants :), given how inexperienced we are it’s great to get advice from you 

• Like 1

I agree with the spacing recs. I can't really study much on my phone right now. In general, citrus doesn't like too much moisture or humidity and gets root rot easily. If you want to try a citrus tree you can look into a dwarf citrus. I really like 4 winds growers in CA but I'm not sure they can ship to FL

• Like 2

I put eight tomato plants in a four by eight foot bed. It was at least two too many. I also had two squash, two cucumber, two eggplant, a cantaloupe and a watermelon in a  four-by-eight foot bed. That was probably four too many. 

I'd recommend an asparagus bed, if your family likes asparagus. 

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I would do dwarf lemon in a large pot rather than in ground to make you happy.  Pitaya can hang if you have a spot for it - kinda wild critter that rambles & flops - not tidy. They are cactus and like sun of course. I've propagated them. Not fussy. , The spacing notes from others above are sensible. I always suggest people go to their local reputable independent garden center for advice as they know your area. Looks like that is what you are doing. Have fun. Plants are not "plug and play" so 100% success is rare. 

• Like 1