• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Harvested the pumpkins yesterday.  I only got 4 big ones.  That's ok...but so weird.  Sigh.  I chalk it up to 2020.  Did get a few of the cute little guys, though :) 

thumbnail_IMG_8175.jpg.af6ff7cb2fe51630a38a97244b4781be.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8176.jpg.24d72012412e0ad02997b7b00015e3ed.jpg

They are cute!  Love the raven and cat on the mantel. They all play well together. Check your PMs

Edited by heidih
Glitching... (log)
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

Harvested the pumpkins yesterday.  I only got 4 big ones.  That's ok...but so weird.  Sigh.  I chalk it up to 2020.  Did get a few of the cute little guys, though :) 

thumbnail_IMG_8175.jpg.af6ff7cb2fe51630a38a97244b4781be.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8176.jpg.24d72012412e0ad02997b7b00015e3ed.jpg

#1 - that is an amazing haul!  I would certainly be proud of that...

#2 - I love your Halloween decorations!  The crows, the cat, and the white pumpkins in the back!  Amazing!

TOTALLY off topic, but I am really torn about whether to put out my usual yard this year, not planning on giving out candy, but do we still decorate (not looking to attract visitors either!)....?!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TicTac said:

TOTALLY off topic, but I am really torn about whether to put out my usual yard this year, not planning on giving out candy, but do we still decorate (not looking to attract visitors either!)....?!

Oh I think people need the distraction whether driving or walking past. Do post your yard in the Holiday Decorating topic.  I think leaving front lights off on the 31st is the universal - no no no goodies signal - at least around here. 

24 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh I think people need the distraction whether driving or walking past. Do post your yard in the Holiday Decorating topic.  I think leaving front lights off on the 31st is the universal - no no no goodies signal - at least around here. 

Heh....my front yard veggie garden does just that!  This year it became even bigger (with the eventual plan to forego any 'lawn') and with a wildly growing ground cherry plant and 7' tall orange cherry tomatoes, it certainly is a conversation starter!  I have (coronacautiously) given away many lettuce seeds this year as a result; which I get a huge kick out of.

I will most likely put some stuff out as it's a lot of fun for my kids (and admittedly, this kid too!)  Will certainly keep an eye out for that thread!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I have so much shiso that has self seeded growing all over the place, I could stock the nearby Korean AND Japanese supermarkets!

Nice specimen.

That area..  I used to use it as a ground cover!! TOO..   but now..its in a containment vessel    :)

Its good to have Morels

4 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

That area..  I used to use it as a ground cover!! TOO..   but now..its in a containment vessel    :)

I can imagine!

I have had to pull bushes nearly that size that self seeded as they were going to seed and further propagation is certainly not required!

• Like 1

I'm so happy that my kaffir lime tree is coming back.  I was getting worried about it for a while.  A lot of leaves were showing iron deficiency, even though I have plenty of iron in my nutrient.  This led me to believe that it was something else - I think it was a little too wet, mainly because of the cheap, crappy solenoid valves I got on Amazon leak.  Not all of them, but like 4 out of 9.... grrrr.... I should know better than getting made in China... not that I have anything against China or Chinese people, it's just that a lot of their products are made to be cheap, not to be good or reliable.  But check out this new growth, baby!!!

20200919_095903_HDR.thumb.jpg.8f9832094c490a8f21f65391dbbb8b89.jpg

20200919_095952_HDR.thumb.jpg.68ecdca0ab981ce50ee04c1d5896092d.jpg

I'm also happy to report that my new curry plant is doing really well too... check out this new growth!  The old curry plant is limping along, but it's not doing very well at all.  I may just cut it back completely and let it dry out.  I've seen a lot of people in India growing this plant say that in winter it will drop all its leaves and at that point, you only want to water it like once a month - it needs to stay really dry.  Then when the season comes back, it will come back better than ever.

20200919_100015.thumb.jpg.9a49e99b1a7d24b7103e46c2dea9894c.jpg

I know that this thread becomes less active this time of year as most people contribute to it grow outdoors and are in the N Hemisphere....  Let me know if people get sick of seeing my plants over and over again and I can slow or stop my posting... don't worry - I won't be offended! Seriously!!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm so happy that my kaffir lime tree is coming back.  I was getting worried about it for a while.  A lot of leaves were showing iron deficiency, even though I have plenty of iron in my nutrient.  This led me to believe that it was something else - I think it was a little too wet, I know that this thread becomes less active this time of year as most people contribute to it grow outdoors and are in the N Hemisphere....  Let me know if people get sick of seeing my plants over and over again and I can slow or stop my posting... don't worry - I won't be offended! Seriously!!

h no - you are a breath of fresh green!  We can grow year round outdoors here but have been told again to further reduce water consumption. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

h no - you are a breath of fresh green!  We can grow year round outdoors here but have been told again to further reduce water consumption. 

The great thing about growing hydroponically is that it uses a LOT less water than normal... like 1/10th the water of normal because there is no runoff and practically no waste.

35 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The great thing about growing hydroponically is that it uses a LOT less water than normal... like 1/10th the water of normal because there is no runoff and practically no waste.

Yes I've read about that in the trade magazines. But before the law changed on cannabis the power company would rat out the illegal indoor growers as they saw a big spike in usage for a warehouse!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

Yes I've read about that in the trade magazines. But before the law changed on cannabis the power company would rat out the illegal indoor growers as they saw a big spike in usage for a warehouse!

Growing at large scale when not legal is just an invitation to getting busted or worse.  There was a big grow op near my factory (it took up the whole second floor of a home) that actually burned the building down and now the people running it are in jail.  No thanks.

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This afternoon I mentioned to the friend who gave me my curry trees that they had been losing leaves.  She said that was normal.

Yrs, from everything I've read or seen, it's normal to drop their leaves once it gets cooler. Logee's Greenhouses have a good video about curry plants both on their site and on YouTube.

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Yrs, from everything I've read or seen, it's normal to drop their leaves once it gets cooler. Logee's Greenhouses have a good video about curry plants both on their site and on YouTube.

Guess I need to bring mine in today then...

We have been seeing temps drop to 5 degrees overnight...think it might be time to bring int he Curry Leaf and Bay Leaf plants...

• Like 1

Mine will be going in over the next few days, as opportunity permits.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

17 hours ago, dcarch said:

Planted 165 garlic cloves.

Proper social distancing between cloves. :D

dcarch

525606517_plantinggarlic2020b.thumb.jpg.a04dee92e49813ff43bc30277f5ee2ad.jpg119431157_plantinggarlic2020.thumb.jpg.cc11dc7a7b0845eabc544c3648d9005f.jpg119431157_plantinggarlic2020.thumb.jpg.cc11dc7a7b0845eabc544c3648d9005f.jpg

So I suppose in this method you are hoping that they come through those small holes?  Curious about what their accuracy rate turns out to be!

@KennethT - I wonder if your curry leaf plant was not happy because of how close it is to some other plants that may turn out to be 'not happy neighbor' plants?  Not sure if you ever looked into that concept given the space limitation you have.  I think (though that thought comes from you know where...) that was part of my problem this year outdoors with some tomato plants, still haven't investigated in depth, but my thought is the culprit is either one strain of arugula, the dill, or....Corona virus (everyone else blames that shit, so why not!?)

I am actively hording cardboard in prep for my lasagna garden treatment in the next couple weeks, though I still do have orange cherry tomatoes turning and am waiting as long as I can to pull things out (still have green onions and purple welsh in the ground).

10 minutes ago, TicTac said:

So I suppose in this method you are hoping that they come through those small holes?  Curious about what their accuracy rate turns out to be!

It's not as big a deal with garlic as with, say, carrots or something else with a similarly small seed. You lay down the cover, you poke a clove into the ground pointy-side up, you cover it. Done deal. Even if you're a bit off-center, your plant will do the rest by heading toward the light.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 9/27/2020 at 9:31 AM, TicTac said:

I expect their accuracy rate turns out to be close to 100%. Here is the system I developed:

1081232074_plantinggarlic2020b.thumb.jpg.77e5f3c131fd88aa18c01ee40754836f.jpg

1055007974_Garlictools.thumb.jpg.6e9dd835f7eb2c0e941883c0fb0d8ce8.jpg

1156664705_garlictoolsc.thumb.JPG.4b5523e2a4111b71dd3e53e219a1babb.JPG

1. Inexpensive weed control landscape fabric, which allows watering but blocks weeds.

2. "A" is a 1 1/2" metal tube. The tube is heated up using a blow torch. It can cut holes thru the fabric easily and quickly.

3. "B" is another 1 1/2" tube used to core and remove soil thru the same holes, leaving a precise hole in the soil at a depth good for garlic.

4. "C" is a plunger to push the soil inside tube "B" to cover the garlic clove inside the hole.

5. "D" is a ruler to make sure proper social distancing between cloves are maintained. :-)

Everything is reusable. Same system is used for growing a few other seedlings, if weed control is needed.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, TicTac said:

@KennethT - I wonder if your curry leaf plant was not happy because of how close it is to some other plants that may turn out to be 'not happy neighbor' plants?  Not sure if you ever looked into that concept given the space limitation you have.  I think (though that thought comes from you know where...) that was part of my problem this year outdoors with some tomato plants, still haven't investigated in depth, but my thought is the culprit is either one strain of arugula, the dill, or....Corona virus (everyone else blames that shit, so why not!?)

I am actively hording cardboard in prep for my lasagna garden treatment in the next couple weeks, though I still do have orange cherry tomatoes turning and am waiting as long as I can to pull things out (still have green onions and purple welsh in the ground).

While plants look like they're grown together, they're actually in individual fabric pots and the nutrient is drain to waste so there's no mixing of anything except the air they breathe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

While plants look like they're grown together, they're actually in individual fabric pots and the nutrient is drain to waste so there's no mixing of anything except the air they breathe.

Ya never know ;  Highly recommend this book (think am repeating myself) to learn about the secret life of plants. 

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Garden-Astonishing-Hidden-World/dp/0671663534