• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

12 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Speaking of tomatoes, interesting weather year for my garden.

Huge tomatoes. Lots. 

Show here a few smaller ones. Many bigger ones have been given away as gifts. 

dcarch

Not jealous, not jealous at all. No garden this year.

Holy smokes, @dcarch. How dense are those tomatoes? Watery? Firm and meaty? They look scary good...or should I say scary AND good. I'd be disappointed to cut one open and find disproportionately large voids. As they're photographed here I'm downright envious.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

18 hours ago, dcarch said:

Speaking of tomatoes, interesting weather year for my garden.

Huge tomatoes. Lots. 

1484384616_IMG_3489a.thumb.JPG.aed9963db66e92a7a63d6cab28bd4c0d.JPG

Show here a few smaller ones. Many bigger ones have been given away as gifts. 

dcarch

Wow, those are amazing!  How are they tasting?  I'm getting similar but not quite as large.  A couple yesterday had blossom rot but the rest are looking good.  I wonder if adding calcium now while almost ripened will help prevent.  I have to research a bit.  Crossing fingers.  

That wasn't chicken

They're coming along. DH and I each had one tomato from this cluster. Sweet, tart, tomatoey goodness. There are 3 plants, all in pots, all taller than we are. This cluster promises good things to come!

20200728_081436.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

Holy smokes, @dcarch. How dense are those tomatoes? Watery? Firm and meaty? They look scary good...or should I say scary AND good. I'd be disappointed to cut one open and find disproportionately large voids. As they're photographed here I'm downright envious.

I will let you know tomorrow.

I can't eat more than 5 lbs of tomatoes for one dinner. :D

1 hour ago, jedovaty said:

I call shenanigans, I didn't get any 😑

Don't worry. Be patient. More to come.

Today's catch.

627868192_2020julytomatoes.thumb.JPG.1767dec672e9c4a169a38209b181bcf9.JPG

dcarch

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nothing like Dcarch but I can't complain.......mini romas and cherries w some sizable beefsteaks......biting into just one cherry makes the entire garden worth the effort don't ya think?  :

872832384_toms1.thumb.jpg.269447e56822d5d49bfd7c205e17f8de.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

......biting into just one cherry makes the entire garden worth the effort don't ya think?  :

Yes. My mom just adored her little yellow pear-shaped tomatoes, about the size of cherry tomatoes. She could have eaten just them for dinner (if we had let her). :)

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

Yes. My mom just adored her little yellow pear-shaped tomatoes, about the size of cherry tomatoes. She could have eaten just them for dinner (if we had let her). :)

No ya need really good corn alongside. My ideal summer meal when I had access.And further to fruit beetles can not find discussion on https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/love-the-fig

I don't know how many of you have been following this story, but people have been randomly receiving seeds in the mail from an unknown source.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/mysterious-packages-gardening-supply-1.5667656

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I don't know how many of you have been following this story, but people have been randomly receiving seeds in the mail from an unknown source.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/mysterious-packages-gardening-supply-1.5667656

Yep I've been following closely.  IMO DO NOT even OPEN any thing like this.  Burn it if you can.  And wear a mask while doing so.  Not good to just throw it in the trash.  Could contaminate landfills.  Do not flush.  Could contaminate septic etc.

22 hours ago, heidih said:

No ya need really good corn alongside. My ideal summer meal when I had access.And further to fruit beetles can not find discussion on https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/love-the-fig

Back when we had an airplane we used to go to Blakesburg, Iowa to the Antique Aircraft Association fly-in at a most insalubrious time of year--August. Everyone tied down their planes and camped either under the wing or in a tent. We had a 1947 Luscombe, grossly underpowered for Colorado altitude but a real tiger in Iowa. Every night we'd pile into cars and trucks and drive into town for dinner at Elaine's (I think it was the only place in the little town), which was platters of sliced tomatoes, buckets of corn, and pitchers of beer, of course. Pork tenderloin sandwiches for protein. I miss the corn and tomatoes, but not the humidity. I don't think I've had such good tomatoes and corn since. Everyone traded rides, and a highlight for me was a flight in a Beech Staggerwing, a real beast compared to our little Luscombe. My husband was the pilot--I was in the right seat as navigator, a task for which I have no talent.

Edited by Nancy in Pátzcuaro (log)
  • Like 4

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

On 7/28/2020 at 8:39 AM, Smithy said:

Well, see for yourself. Solid, juicy almost seedless.

283920064_oxhearttomato2020d.thumb.jpg.a84c36ee9b5855fc1f438dcce27fcd45.jpg

No problem with voids or watery. The problem is the tomato slices are bigger than the slices of bread when trying to make BLTs.

1300705171_oxhearttomato2020e.thumb.jpg.6c3b77285479d76f032a25811d8c92f4.jpg

Anyway, a tribute to the creator of the famous logo "I Love NY" Milton Glaser, who passed away a few weeks ago.

594364753_Lovetomato2020b.thumb.jpg.e4896ab55b4c3f89215a50f3aa9d2b70.jpg

dcarch

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We are overflowing w cherry and wine colored cherry tomatoes.

Lettuces are done and I sure miss them. Hope I can get in a fall crop.

As far as greens, all I have is chard.

Peaches on 3 trees all dropped off before the squirrels could get them ...weather? Depriving the frigging rodents is a partial victory. Henry is sad because he usually harvests a squirrel or two this time of year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Back when we had an airplane we used to go to Blakesburg, Iowa to the Antique Aircraft Association fly-in at a most insalubrious time of year--August. Everyone tied down their planes and camped either under the wing or in a tent. We had a 1947 Luscombe, grossly underpowered for Colorado altitude but a real tiger in Iowa. Every night we'd pile into cars and trucks and drive into town for dinner at Elaine's (I think it was the only place in the little town), which was platters of sliced tomatoes, buckets of corn, and pitchers of beer, of course. Pork tenderloin sandwiches for protein. I miss the corn and tomatoes, but not the humidity. I don't think I've had such good tomatoes and corn since. Everyone traded rides, and a highlight for me was a flight in a Beech Staggerwing, a real beast compared to our little Luscombe. My husband was the pilot--I was in the right seat as navigator, a task for which I have no talent.

Is that how you ended up in Mexico?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Peaches on 3 trees all dropped off before the squirrels could get them ...weather? Depriving the frigging rodents is a partial victory. Henry is sad because he usually harvests a squirrel or two this time of year.

Yup I found the last nectarine pit on the porch railing left by one of the non native squirrel. Had the side door open earlier and one one tried to come in. I screamed him away. Ggrrr

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is that how you ended up in Mexico?

No, that was long ago, back in the 1970s, well before we started coming to México. We sold the airplane when we moved away from an airport and had no way to fly without a long drive. Didn't make sense. But I still remember all the wonderful airplanes at the fly-in, and those spectacular plates of corn and tomatoes in a little dive in small-town Iowa. And the pork tenderloin sandwiches were pretty swell also. Another memory is waking up in our tent early in the morning and hearing the dew drop on the bottom wing of a biplane parked next to us. That was actually the Parks known throughout the world as the one in Jonathon Livingston Seagull. Beautiful airplane, red with engine turnings on the cowling. There must have been many, many millions of dollars of aircraft at the fly-ins. We were very small beans in our little Luscombe.

Edited by Nancy in Pátzcuaro (log)
  • Like 3

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I live just a hop, skip and a jump from Blakesburg!  The fly-in is still going strong.  Love to watch the old biplanes go over our house.  They have added a nice museum there too.  I had some books and other stuff on the old DC-3s which we donated last year.   My Dad worked at the old Douglas  Aircraft plant at Clover Field in Santa Monica, CA.    Don't recall seeing that restaurant but I shall sure look next time we are in the area.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2020 at 4:53 AM, IowaDee said:

I live just a hop, skip and a jump from Blakesburg!  The fly-in is still going strong.  Love to watch the old biplanes go over our house.  They have added a nice museum there too.  I had some books and other stuff on the old DC-3s which we donated last year.   My Dad worked at the old Douglas  Aircraft plant at Clover Field in Santa Monica, CA.    Don't recall seeing that restaurant but I shall sure look next time we are in the area.

My memory was that it was called "Elaine's" but that may not have been the actual sign on the door. Remember, this was in the late '70s and many things probably will have changed. I'm not even sure where it was--probably on the main drag. I do know we had to drive past a pig farm on the way from the airfield, which was memorable in a not-good way. I could go for a pork tenderloin sandwich right about now, not to mention some fabulous late-summer tomatoes and corn.

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

56 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Tomato fallout ongoing......love the purple peppers......not yielding much but so pretty.  

And there's always that one sneaky giant hiding under the leaves  

bigzuch1.thumb.jpg.e88e96017f991ea0164b04de23af6e58.jpg

Yes that is a sexy purple pepper.  On the ginormous zuke - I've said before - sometimes I just let a few go, harden like a winter squash and use as Fall/Halloween decor. Martha hollows it out from one end and uses a dremel tool to create holes so candles inserted can glow through. Or like this Carve a zucchini for Halloween!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, heidih said:

Yes that is a sexy purple pepper.  On the ginormous zuke - I've said before - sometimes I just let a few go, harden like a winter squash and use as Fall/Halloween decor. Martha hollows it out from one end and uses a dremel tool to create holes so candles inserted can glow through. Or like this Carve a zucchini for Halloween!

Oooh, that's so cool!  Didn't know that was an option.  I feel like any I've left too long (didn't know existed) shriveled and rotted.  

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

20 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Oooh, that's so cool!  Didn't know that was an option.  I feel like any I've left too long (didn't know existed) shriveled and rotted.  

My Los Angeles climate is dry dry dry so maybe the difference or as I told someone here - a piece of cardboard under the big kid can prevent that rot spot.