• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

I got Corona!!!

With this pandemic, protein availability can be very uncertain. I decided that I need to grow a lot more beans. Of course, if you grow beans, you have to grow Royal Corona beans, right? Corona is the king, big in size and big in taste. Mine Corona beans are blossoming! Pretty?

1326598591_coronabeanblossoms.thumb.jpg.3129a2a42b58936259bd1212ab9b5eee.jpg

Corona, come meet the Emperor

Speaking of pretty,  Scarlet Emperor, should be named Scarlet Empress. It is the queen in looks and in taste. I also am growing lots of Scarlet Emperor beans. 

2093669001_ScarletEmperorbean.thumb.JPG.8e21b24c54a3ab70fa4ac23d69206864.JPG

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Scout decided a couple months ago that she and I must get up around 5:30 or 6 every morning and play endless amounts of ball outside.  So,  I roll out of bed, wad my hair up on top of my head and comply.  I'm going to need rotator cuff surgery soon lol.  Anyway, after about an hour of ball we trundle down to the garden and she rests 🙄 while I weed etc.  Took a few pictures this morning....

thumbnail_IMG_7909.jpg.fec8d45f940f10cbd9dfafbca0f9e358.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7910.jpg.d2504df39074e25909ab721c64786b76.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7911.jpg.813d4264c54d04e5a6fa4bc53ee76061.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7912.jpg.3e108a4ad3bfb5d651f6aebce75305d3.jpg

We planted these tomatoes several weeks after the others.  

thumbnail_IMG_7913.jpg.4a4e72412b415df822b604b1319e5fc5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7914.jpg.6b336fdcb03d4b9402b17a9e202dd757.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7915.jpg.e99a8d0702e0404e7e166a439f67ef2f.jpg

• Like 16

On 6/18/2020 at 6:29 PM, KennethT said:

Basil #2 has sprouted!  Damn - you can't kill those things!

I recall an article a few years ago that said Jefferson had a field of mustard at Monticello...gone x centuries.  They plowed the filed for the first time in ages and up sprouted Jefferson's ancient mustard.

• Like 4

We had a lone carrot come up in the back garden--we let it go to seed...maybe there will be a lot of carrots next year.  I think it's really pretty.

IMG_0739.JPG.73b04e0477414a2eef4f67b1ee4a2e7e.JPG

Does anyone know what this is?  It came up voluntarily....I can't remember ever planting anything that looks like this.  It kind of reminds me of an eggplant, but the flowers aren't quite right..and they are white, not purple.

thumbnail_IMG_0737.jpg.207ef851d02e2e0be9d4709e6849be01.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0738.jpg.7cdb48b1321031b7e5c775421ccbe95b.jpg

Been digging lots of taters

thumbnail_IMG_7897.jpg.ba5a762d9e1b225c48e7650845aeb354.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 8

I have two eggplants!

eggplant.thumb.jpg.43487fa2673219ede3a58f3a0ddbfb69.jpg

I am quite excited. Never grew eggplants before.

I also have a host of green tomatoes, but no signs of color yet.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Nice. That's where I'll be by about Labour Day. :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@Paul Bacino  Beautiful!  Not too many holes in the crucifers. I always laugh when people tell their kids "look  at the pretty white butterfly" - NO  What I am in love with though are your conifers. Gorgeous. Those cabbages are huggable.

• Like 1

@Paul Bacino -- gorgeous. I'm already plotting where to put another couple of raised beds so I can accommodate a couple more squash vines, some cabbage and some crucifers, which will bear early and which I can then replace with purple hulled peas, which do fine planted in June and harvested in September.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

This thread makes me happy.

I can use that.

Your gardens all look fantastic, I am certainly envious of some of the space you all have (shouldn't say that out loud as I am sure @KennethT will pipe in about space limitations! :laugh:)

So perhaps this is because I started everything from seed this year, and while I have always cared for my plants, I seem to have quite the attachment this year!

Over the past few days we have had some high winds, less than a week ago, a large gust came and one of my poor yellow zucchini babies split.  Completely in half - down the stalk...unreal.

So in my haze of a mini-freak out, I reached out to my uncle who is my gardening guru; he informed me that zucchini leaves are edible (who woulda thunk it with all those pokey spines!) - so off the leaves went from the half a plant, into the kitchen (they are delicious, btw); I took the mutant Frankenstein zucchini and began my surgery - cleaned all the leaves, and then prepared a new home of heavily soaked starting soil combined with some organic worm castings and planted the wound into the ground.  Well; it's been 4 days now and both the amputee and amputated half are still alive and dare I say, sprouting new leaves! 

A have often split plants before to give to friends/family or plant elsewhere, but this gives a new meaning to the method!

I need to adapt either the straw method or perhaps the newspaper/cardboard one next year - too much weeding!!!

• Like 4

The lettuce I planted in March just bolted and the stuff I planted 6 weeks later is right behind them.  Arrgh.

Is there some hormone given off by a going-to-seed plant that induces it in others? 

• Sad 2

Paul, wonderful gardens.  Lots of good eating there.  I am curious as to why you let your garlic scapes bloom.  I always understood that unless you want to propagate them that way, one should cut the scapes off so the garlic bulb gets to it's potential..not wasting energy on the bloom.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Paul, wonderful gardens.  Lots of good eating there.  I am curious as to why you let your garlic scapes bloom.  I always understood that unless you want to propagate them that way, one should cut the scapes off so the garlic bulb gets to it's potential..not wasting energy on the bloom.

6 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

But they are beautiful! Sorry to put my foot in it. Yes the energy loss is an issue. Oh and frying them is a,ways a different aooroach.

Edited by heidih (log)

Just now, gfweb said:

The lettuce I planted in March just bolted and the stuff I planted 6 weeks later is right behind them.  Arrgh.

Is there some hormone given off by a going-to-seed plant that induces it in others? 

Oh they are so much smarter than us mere humans. Read  David Bodanis  "The Secret Garden" 

• Like 1

My garden continues apace. I harvested the two eggplants today. They're the length of my outstretched hand. Two will make a nice meal; not certain yet how they'll be prepared. I've decided I need at least two more 4 x 8 beds, so I can devote one to crucifers and lettuces, radishes and spring onions, to be followed in June by purple hull peas for fall harvest. The other will be to spread out the "viny things." Having been overrun with zucchini and cucumbers before, I went with one plant of each, and it needed to have been at least two; maybe two zucchini and four cucumbers, about the capacity of a 4 x 8 bed. The other can hold the yellow squash (I think I wouldn't mind four of them) and eggplant.

I'm also putting in the blueberry and blackberry plants this fall -- three of each, which should supply what I need. OK, maybe four of each. Those will go along the east fence, where they'll get good most-of-the-day sun. I'm thinking the two new beds just in front of one of those rows. Then I'm adding a pear tree and a fig tree, and I'm done. 

The yard is very nearly a full acre. But there are two giant oak trees, and a couple of good-sized maples, a very productive apple tree, a big magnolia, a birch and two pecan trees. Lots of shade!

Has anyone tried growing morels? It appears one can cultivate them beneath oak trees. So I'm contemplating....this one oak is maybe 60 feet tall, and it would take two adults to reach around its trunk. Nothing grows in a sizeable circle, except some moss. We have a swing hanging from one limb, and a hammock and a couple of lawn chairs, but I'd love to add a morel bed....

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

47 minutes ago, kayb said:

Has anyone tried growing morels? It appears one can cultivate them beneath oak trees. So I'm contemplating....this one oak is maybe 60 feet tall, and it would take two adults to reach around its trunk. Nothing grows in a sizeable circle, except some moss. We have a swing hanging from one limb, and a hammock and a couple of lawn chairs, but I'd love to add a morel bed....

Oh my! Only here. We only grew them when we accidentally imported morel spores in rose bed mulch. Do let us know

1 hour ago, kayb said:

My garden continues apace. I harvested the two eggplants today. They're the length of my outstretched hand. Two will make a nice meal; not certain yet how they'll be prepared. I've decided I need at least two more 4 x 8 beds, so I can devote one to crucifers and lettuces, radishes and spring onions, to be followed in June by purple hull peas for fall harvest. The other will be to spread out the "viny things." Having been overrun with zucchini and cucumbers before, I went with one plant of each, and it needed to have been at least two; maybe two zucchini and four cucumbers, about the capacity of a 4 x 8 bed. The other can hold the yellow squash (I think I wouldn't mind four of them) and eggplant.

I'm also putting in the blueberry and blackberry plants this fall -- three of each, which should supply what I need. OK, maybe four of each. Those will go along the east fence, where they'll get good most-of-the-day sun. I'm thinking the two new beds just in front of one of those rows. Then I'm adding a pear tree and a fig tree, and I'm done. 

The yard is very nearly a full acre. But there are two giant oak trees, and a couple of good-sized maples, a very productive apple tree, a big magnolia, a birch and two pecan trees. Lots of shade!

No, but I found and ate one blueberry just now.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou