• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

On 8/12/2019 at 9:21 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I ripped out all my tomato plants.

Sorry to hear about your tomatoes. Were they doing poorly or was this because of your landlord's dislike of your patio garden?

3 hours ago, curls said:

Sorry to hear about your tomatoes. Were they doing poorly or was this because of your landlord's dislike of your patio garden?

Thanks, the latter.

• Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yesterday's haul for me consisted of salad greens (leaf lettuce, plus whatever was in the random "mesclun mix" that I planted), broccoli, broccoli raab, baby beet greens, green onions, watermelon radishes, and a few random handfuls of dandelion and sorrel that happened to cross my path at the wrong moment. :P

I also planted more chard, spinach and beets (for their greens alone, at this time of year), and moved some struggling tomatoes and cucumbers from their planters to the main garden. They may or may not survive, but they were doomed in their old location so there was little to lose by trying.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

The grandson and I could have done away with that in pretty short order. He's as watermelon-crazy as I am. I buy a basketball-sized one (round, solid green, no stripes, don't know the name) every week and chill it for us, and we pig out.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 8/30/2019 at 8:29 PM, kayb said:

Chum is a pretty baby.

When's your first killing frost, usually?

Well, like 20 years ago it was usually around the middle of October.  Lately it seems to be after Halloween--into November.

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

We planted ONE watermelon.  It is a beast.  Lots more to come.

IMG_0499.JPG.e22b1811b2389e023ddd0bb589becaf9.JPG

Drooling here!  I haven't had watermelon since last summer.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

While picking the garden this morning, I found this tomato with these odd "hairs" poking out of it.  I hope the photo is clear enough.  These "hairs" have a "ball" on the end and are a little less than a half an inch long.

Any ideas as to what this is?  Some kind of bug that lays "eggs" like this???  Or maybe aliens testing out my garden produce?

thumbnail_IMG_6798.jpg.a394b418d0210699c8199c0b405480d4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 3