• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yes they are expensive. :wacko:

I love peas, but too much sugar! :(

But at least here the Mountain Magic plants cost no more than other varieties.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mountain Magic has been my goto tomato for several years.  No question there!  But consider the economics.  Seeds are so expensive there is no reason not to buy plants.  I get mine from Burpee.

I hope also to find a Ramapo plant, or I may tackle them from seed.  Not something Burpee caries.

Rutgers has some interesting tomato seed varieties that can be ordered online, including Ramapo.

https://breeding.rutgers.edu/tomato-availability/

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

9 hours ago, heidih said:

On line (think Kenneth T in New York has ordered) is my local tomato person Laurel . The Berkeley Tie Dye was amazing one year. https://www.heirloomtomatoplants.com/

Interesting link!  I was attracted by Jutland.  I have no use for four plants (the minimum order) unfortunately and I can find no commercial source of seed.  Has anyone tried growing Jutland?

I did find contact information for the woman who supplied the Jutland seeds to heirloomtomatoplants but I don't want to bother her if there is a seed seller who has them.  I would love to compare Jutland to Mountain Magic.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I was attracted by Jutland

You may find seeds on Tomatoville.com.

Jutland looks like a Vesuvius type tomato to me—there are several proven cultivars.

Piennolo del Vesuvio is one.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

39 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

You may find seeds on Tomatoville.com.

Jutland looks like a Vesuvius type tomato to me—there are several proven cultivars.

Piennolo del Vesuvio is one.

Thanks.  However Jutland is billed as a Dutch tomato and this sounds Italian.

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dutch tomato

Yeah, maybe!

Ask them for proof!

And how long has it been Dutch? LOL 

Folks rename cultivars frequently.

:)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

24 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yeah, maybe!

Ask them for proof!

And how long has it been Dutch? LOL 

Folks rename cultivars frequently.

:)

I in no way claim to be sure but Piennolo is described as a grape tomato while Jutland is 3-5 ounces, more similar to Mountain Magic.

24 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I in no way claim to be sure but Piennolo is described as a grape tomato while Jutland is 3-5 ounces, more similar to Mountain Magic.

Yeah, it's just one of the Vesuvius tomatoes. They're all similar in type but different in size, etc.

huh... Back when I ordered from Laurel's, I was able to order 1 plant.  I ordered a Goose Creek plant, and it was, by far, the best tomato I ever tasted.  And it was grown indoors (in the corner of my living room) under lights and a sunny window.  It provided about 1-2 tomatoes per day (perfect for the two of us) for months until the plant got so big I had to kill it. (It took over the whole living room).  Upon taking it all down, I found quite a few "overly ripe" tomatoes lurking inside all the foliage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

I don't buy seeds on eBay. Too many fake seeds.

Yeah, it can be dangerous!!! :shock:

@dcarch Do you still have all the photos and drawings of your clever trellis system?

1 minute ago, dcarch said:

Yeah. I have improved my system.

Oh! Cool! cool.gif

Will you please post about it!?

1 minute ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Oh! Cool! cool.gif

Will you please post about it!?

I will. Not for a while. I am busy building a few high power (300 watts each) COB LED grow lights. Got to get them done soon to start seeds.

dcarch

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dcarch said:

My favorite - Ananas Noire 

I will give them a try.

Looks Like Baker Creek carries the seed.

51 minutes ago, kayb said:

Arkansas Travelers

Yes, they are pretty good. 

11 hours ago, heidih said:

Just call Laurel - she will not be shy about her take on it. First time I went to get the fertilizer she suggested the garden center said "oh the tomato witch?" 

Just spoke with Laurel and she was happy to hear positive feedback  "I feel taller" were her words :)

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:10 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mountain Magic

It occurred to me that I may already have a few Mountain Magic seeds.

I'm going to look for them within the next few days.

If so, I could start them extra early and take some cuttings. yes.gif

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

It occurred to me that I may already have a few Mountain Magic seeds.

I'm going to look for them within the next few days.

If so, I could start them extra early and take some cuttings. yes.gif

I wonder if taking cuttings is legal?