• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

Last spring I dropped and broke Rosemary's pot on the dining room floor while I was carrying her outside.  I still have salt preserved sage from last year so I didn't try to bring my sage bush in.  I confess to looking at an oregano plant at the store earlier this week.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last spring I dropped and broke Rosemary's pot on the dining room floor while I was carrying her outside.  I still have salt preserved sage from last year so I didn't try to bring my sage bush in.  I confess to looking at an oregano plant at the store earlier this week.

The first few times I brought Rosemary into the house, I would under water it and have to replace it anyway, but I water it much more liberally now and it is several years old. I used to leave the sage outside and would have to replace it every few years. It doesn't do as well in the house as Rosemary. By spring, the leaves will be tiny, but once it goes outside it bounces back pretty well. Deb is partial to roasted garlic, mashed potatoes with rosemary butter, and pasta with sage butter. I keep Rosemary behind my chair at the table. It has gotten so big, it fills the air with that aroma, that I love!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

The first few times I brought Rosemary into the house, I would under water it and have to replace it anyway, but I water it much more liberally now and it is several years old. I used to leave the sage outside and would have to replace it every few years. It doesn't do as well in the house as Rosemary. By spring, the leaves will be tiny, but once it goes outside it bounces back pretty well. Deb is partial to roasted garlic, mashed potatoes with rosemary butter, and pasta with sage butter. I keep Rosemary behind my chair at the table. It has gotten so big, it fills the air with that aroma, that I love!

HC

I miss the lovely rosemary smell and the pretty little flowers.

What herbs, I wonder, would do best in pots inside in winter.  I have a south facing glass door.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a few days' serious thaw, so unexpectedly I was able to get one more harvest out of my garden (we'd been in the deep freeze 10 days ago, and I wasn't sure I'd get another opportunity).

I managed one more mess o' greens, mostly hardy brassicas with a bit of dandelion. The beets I'd planted late - mostly for greens - gave me about a dozen golden beets (an early variety, Golden Grex..the extra-dark Bull's Blood, not an early variety, didn't give me anything but greens in the limited time I had). To my surprise I also got the other half of my red onions, which I'd assumed would be a write off. I'd gambled on leaving them in the ground for another week or two, and then the hard freeze intervened.

My indoor lettuces and kale look like they'll do well in their current location (on a windowsill in our exercise room, where they get more light) so I'll have something fresh to look forward to after the holidays.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 3 weeks later...

I'm chuffed about this. I managed to get a bullhorn pepper to overwinter by putting it under the eve of the house to protect it from the frost. The leaves look a bit sad but it has peppers.

20181223_082626.thumb.jpg.5f7f6a6f3d7eb3e07a9a3d23e2ecd020.jpg

• Like 5

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 12/3/2018 at 6:21 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

All I have to look forward to is the Burpee catalog.

My Baker's Seeds came the other day. now I am dreaming of what I can put into my 4x5 gardening space.  

• Like 3

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

The Plot Thickens!

Went to the town compost center and got six garbage bins of free compost. 6 x 60 gallons.

Tilted into my plot. Too much compost! the plot is now 7 inches thicker.

It will be a good tomato year!

dcarch

• Like 5

I'm terrible at growing coriander leaf, aka cilantro. What I did get before it bolted was pretty tasteless. I did manage to use some of the root in Thai food and now have some coriander seed.

20181218_170209.thumb.jpg.c3f443390d188d9d6a62dd2a9a59ed5c.jpg

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 2 weeks later...

"Starting a vegetable garden doesn't mean replicating the entire veggie section at the grocery store. Pick and choose to grow what you eat the most of, what's expensive to buy at the store, and what grows well in your area."

Good advice.

Common sense, really.

"Thinking About Starting A Vegetable Garden? Read This First." By Michael Weishan.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Pretty much how I prioritize. Except I always plant a few potatoes, despite their year-round cheapness and availability, because I like new baby potatoes fresh from the garden (and those, of course, are also pricey by potato standards).

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

There's nothing quite as good as going out in the early evening to dig up a couple of russet potatoes from their (sandy) bed in the garden. Fresh, fluffy, completely unlike any baked potato I'd ever eaten. As I recall I grew the Kennebeck (?) variety--it was a very long time ago and I don't really remember the name. Now, of course, I don't garden at all, and only one or two puestos (stalls) in the mercado have baking potatoes. Not the same, sad to say.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I could not agree more about home grown potatoes no matter the variety.  They are so superior to store bought even after they have been in the root cellar for a few weeks.  We have two beds that we alternate planting potatoes each year.  All our good friends get a bag of freshly dug potatoes.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

They are so superior to store bought even after they have been in the root cellar for a few weeks.

So true!

When I was growing potatoes—Chieftain was our work-horse potato and the cultivar we grew most.

Perfect for our terroir.

One droughty year when I had to regularly carry water, by hand, to the plants—a LOT of water over nearly the entire summer—we harvested many tubers that were well over 6 inches long (with excellent flavor.)

Chieftains aren't usually that HUGE!

Some folks say that Chieftains aren't suitable for fries—but it's all in the technique.

They can produce excellent fries via the double-fry method.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I like new baby potatoes fresh from the garden (and those, of course, are also pricey by potato standards).

Yes, bite-size 'salt potatoes' are a big deal in this region.

The best are home-grown.

• Like 1

I'm Irish. I love anything one can do to or with a potato. But I think my favorite is "new potatoes," dug that day, unpeeled, scrubbed with a brush, boiled in salted water, drenched with plenty of butter.

Best reason to grow your own.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@KennethT

Nice to know you’re human like the rest of us.:smile:

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Seed orders...

I'll be ordering from a few different vendors this year.

I think I have the Fedco Seeds order nearly complete.

204PR Provider Bush Green Bean

3866 Matchbox Hot Pepper—I love this little pepper! :)

3099 Sea Kale Perennial  (If Available) An amazing plant!
1239LO Little Leaf H-19 Pickling Cucumber
1243MG Mexican Sour Gherkin Specialty Cucumber
318SR Scarlet Runner Pole Bean
798LG Gard-N Combination Legume Inoculant
2301AR Arat Root Parsley
2590CM Caucasian Mountain Perennial Spinach (Hablitzia Tamnoides) I wish they wouldn't call it 'spinach!' GRRRrrr!!! :angry:
3034PS Perpetual Spinach Chard (Leaf Beet) Also NOT a spinach!
3096KH Good King Henry (If Available)
4225 Mountain Magic Small-Fruited Tomato (Maybe—a BIG maybe!)

$30 and above orders ship free.

What are you ordering this year?

• Like 3

Mountain Magic has been my goto tomato for several years.  No question there!  But consider the economics.  Seeds are so expensive there is no reason not to buy plants.  I get mine from Burpee.

I hope also to find a Ramapo plant, or I may tackle them from seed.  Not something Burpee caries.

Recently I have been growing Kelvedon Wonder peas from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, a variety Nigel Slater recommends.

20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mountain Magic has been my goto tomato for several years.  No question there!  But consider the economics.  Seeds are so expensive...

Yes they are expensive. :wacko:

I love peas, but too much sugar! :(