• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

Early this morning I ripped up the first wave of zucchini plants that were starting to fade. The second wave has been picking for a while and I want the room for lettuce, rapini and beans. Tonight, I will try my hand at stuffed zucchini with the big one I found hiding in one of the old plants.

HC

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.8d2ff5a07b05925d463f582642b30a6e.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Early this morning I ripped up the first wave of zucchini plants that were starting to fade. The second wave has been picking for a while and I want the room for lettuce, rapini and beans. Tonight, I will try my hand at stuffed zucchini with the big I found hiding in one of the old plants.

HC

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.8d2ff5a07b05925d463f582642b30a6e.JPG

I wish the zuke plants wouldn't fade like they do.....sometimes I get a regeneration , but mostly they just up and die on me.  I need to get some more seeds ordered.  Or maybe I'm zucchini'd out for a while.....I am still getting a ton of them...but I do miss them when they are gone....I think....lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I wish the zuke plants wouldn't fade like they do.....sometimes I get a regeneration , but mostly they just up and die on me.  I need to get some more seeds ordered.  Or maybe I'm zucchini'd out for a while.....I am still getting a ton of them...but I do miss them when they are gone....I think....lol.

It's funny, I have learned from experience to plant 4 plants for the first wave, 3 for the second and 2 for the third,  to match my enthusiasm for them,  but like you say, I miss them when they are gone!

HC

• Like 1

IMG_5747.jpg.233ededa1f0d11192b74824692146a16.jpg

After I dropped the rug rat off at camp today - I noticed the grandfather of one of the other campers over by the bushes gatherings elderberries. He cuts off the umbels and freezes them - says the berries fall right off.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

....other campers over by the bushes gatherings elderberries.

Yum! I love elderberries!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 8/22/2017 at 3:04 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yum! I love elderberries!

I don't know how or why I forgot to specifically mention elderberry jam and jelly in the PB&J topic—my Mom and Grandmas made a lot of it back in the day.

:)

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'm a madman! nasty.gif

Over the past 7 years I've worked to remove all non-edibles from the property—to be replaced with edibles only.

The housemate doesn't like the rule, but it's non-negotiable!

I gave the last of the tulip bulbs (yellow tulips) and some crocus bulbs to a neighbor the other day.

The only thing left is a burning bush, which hasn't been a good burning bush anyway—it's never turned 'burning' evenly so it's quite ugly!

I'll be sawing that off at ground level as soon as I can find the handsaw here that I have in mind. LOL

• Like 2

Like an idiot, I dropped and broke my beloved Austrian scythe whetstone (hone.)

My heart sunk when I heard it hit the sidewalk and go 'clink.' :(

They're expensive to replace, not just any whetstone will do. They're shaped special to accommodate the shape of the scythe blade.

I'm going to try to glue it with Loctite Super Glue Gel—but I'm not feeling optimistic.

And Super Glue and I don't get along well, to say the least! O.o

KePVRk8.jpg

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

What type of glue is the loctite?  Is it a cyanoacrylate?  Many of those types of glues (even in gel form) don't work well on porous products.  If you have a way of clamping it together, I would use an epoxy, or JB Weld, which is amazing, but takes a long time to cure.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Is it a cyanoacrylate?

Yes, cyanoacrylate.

Thanks, Kenneth. I'll look into the other adhesives.

This morning after my 24 hour shift I headed to my egg lady's house for some eggs and stuff from the garden. 

IMG_5799.JPG.33ebd1a40ac4958f40d49008537a5d3d.JPG

I was greeted as always by the dog. 

IMG_5800.JPG.f314ab7fa0bb6eb25e8a9148002a72e0.JPG

In the basket are green beans we picked, a couple of yellow onions (really skinny), some beets, couple of bits of kale, some dill and a red cabbage.

IMG_5802.JPG.04021c64095c26ff9bbed506a84dc84d.JPG

All that remains of the Silkie hen that was still around this morning when it was let out of the barn - possums apparently find them a nice snack. 

IMG_5812.JPG.4e3d8bd8e644aa9beb474854fe21fde4.JPG

"C'mon - throw the ball" - they never tire of it. I do!

IMG_5809.JPG.8ec8acc2efc72857b261e1170b47ff88.JPG

Another garden helper - much easier on the plants than the dogs.

IMG_5814.JPG.764753645618600ac2790f3b1d228d4f.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG.d2401e4df222b2e3fdbcfa79a7612fbc.JPG

Digging up some horseradish - leaves go over the side into to chicken coop.

• Like 11

@KennethT

I found this. Whetstone Repair.

I'll pick up some two-part epoxy.

The challenge will be clamping it well due to the odd shape.

If I carefully hold the whetstone by the broken end—the repair may work.

ETA: LOCTITE Epoxy Instant Mix?

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Like an idiot, I dropped and broke my beloved Austrian scythe whetstone (hone.)

My heart sunk when I heard it hit the sidewalk and go 'clink.' :(

They're expensive to replace, not just any whetstone will do. They're shaped special to accommodate the shape of the scythe blade.

I'm going to try to glue it with Loctite Super Glue Gel—but I'm not feeling optimistic.

And Super Glue and I don't get along well, to say the least! O.o

KePVRk8.jpg

I feel your pain.  Best of luck fixing it.

• Like 1

I could order a stone from England for $10.24 total (including the shipping) via eBay.

But it looks quite coarse—hard to tell for sure.

More coarse than the one which I currently have—which is more coarse than what is recommended for honing an Austrian scythe.

:wacko:

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Well, for ten bucks it seems worth a shot at it.^_^

Yeah, I'm seriously considering it.

For a back-up, if nothing else.

My birthday was yesterday, maybe the housemate will cough-up $10 for another gift. xD

The loctite 1min epoxy looks ok - but it won't be as strong as JB Weld.  As you can tell, I'm a huge fan of JBW - I've used it for repairing all sorts of things - an industrial perchloroethylene degreaser, high pressure water lines, parts that will hit high temperatures.  It's great.  Once cured, you can drill it, tap it, file it, etc.... https://www.lowes.com/pd/J-B-WELD-2-oz-Epoxy-Adhesive/3377874

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

The loctite 1min epoxy looks ok - but it won't be as strong as JB Weld.  As you can tell, I'm a huge fan of JBW - I've used it for repairing all sorts of things - an industrial perchloroethylene degreaser, high pressure water lines, parts that will hit high temperatures.  It's great.  Once cured, you can drill it, tap it, file it, etc.... https://www.lowes.com/pd/J-B-WELD-2-oz-Epoxy-Adhesive/3377874

Actualy, there are still other options.

Look on ebay, dental adhesives. 

dcarch

l

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Thanks @KennethT

I have used J-B Weld in the past—but it was many, many years ago.

Most importantly, is it water tolerant when cured?

I'm guessing that it probably is since you mentioned high pressure water lines.

The whetstone rests in a whetstone holder full of water (the yellow thing in the pic) during mowing.

The Rozsutec and Doppelbock stones at the bottom of this page are the preferred stones.

Very pricey with the shipping cost factored in.

7 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Thanks @KennethT

I have used J-B Weld in the past—but it was many, many years ago.

Most importantly, is it water tolerant when cured?

I'm guessing that it probably is since you mentioned high pressure water lines.

The whetstone rests in a whetstone holder full of water (the yellow thing in the pic) during mowing.

Yes, definitely water tolerant... also acid tolerant and chemical (strong oxidizer) tolerant...  I swear I'm not trying to sell this stuff!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Yes, definitely water tolerant... also acid tolerant and chemical (strong oxidizer) tolerant...  I swear I'm not trying to sell this stuff!

Cool! cool.gif

18 hours ago, KennethT said:

JB Weld

I'm going to call J-B Weld and ask them if—J-B KwikWeld—is as strong as and equal in other ways to the regular.
I don't need much of the stuff.